A brilliant psychologist

by voodoo lady 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I loved the humour of this song when I first heard it over 40 years ago, funny and clever !

Back to the O.P, I was lucky to find a Therapist who had treated a number of former J.W's, so she had a good grasp of the problems, although she did not fully appreciate the mechanics of Disfellowshipping. Once I had explained it fully to her, she said " In that case I would challenge the right of JW's to call themselves Christian ".

She helped me to see how to move on from the anger I felt at my imprisonment in the cult of Jehovah's Witnesses, and she helped me to see that my severe depression at the time stemmed almost entirely from haveing been a JW, something I did not believe when I first sought her counsel.

She was not just helpful, she saved my life I believe, along with the Posters of this wonderful place JWN, who were supportive and loving.

• gone for good
    gone for good

www.journeyfree.org Resources for recovery from harmful religion

This American psychologist - Dr. Marlene Winell, has a very informative website indicating how widespread the problems of fundamentalist teachings are... a good resource for anyone wondering why their minds, lives and families are such a mess.

She coined the phrase Religious Trauma Syndrome and knows first hand how and from where the traumas of abusive religion arise. Jws and Mormons are not alone in the crazy compound.

I am impressed by her depth and breadth of research and her knowledgable approache to help people escape.

• yodastar
    yodastar

Hi vodoo lady.

Absolutely yes. I tried a few and have now realised that some professionals/tradesman are better at their craft than others but then you find one that works. I was referred a clinical psychologist and saw her on and off for a few years. Really helped with many areas, it is so corrupt that the borg do not approve of members seeking proper help.

The elderlies prefer the sheeple to look up to them for their sage ( read untrained ) advise so well done on talking to someone that has training on how our environment affects the way we act and think. Awesome. Cheers

• voodoo lady
    voodoo lady

Thank you all for your experiences. It's great to know that others are seeking, and having positive results with professional, "real-world" therapy. Involvement with any cult, particularly via indoctrination since childhood, cannot be discounted in the evolution of one's mental health throughout the course of a lifetime.

Because I thought I had extracted myself from the organisation very much in tact, I presumed that the religious stuff really wasn't an issue in my life anymore. It wasn't until my current psychologist that I saw how my thought processes really had been muddled by things I was taught as a child, and the bizarre, and hypocritical behavior I saw my parents exhibiting.

I guess one's own childhood experience seems normal, even if - in retrospect - you determine it was profoundly abnormal. Dr Marlene Winell seems to have an incredible grasp of this concept, and of the "normalization" of religion as a whole. Thank you for the resource, gone for good. It's great to see that there are some experts in this field.

I also agree with paranoia agent that there's an art to the profession, and some are inevitably better at their craft than others. No doubt it's also a personality thing, and, as with any interaction, some therapist/patient combinations are more effective than others.

Even when seeking therapy for reasons that seem entirely unrelated to indoctrination, it's worth having the conversation, and a good psychologist will draw that out. It seems that post-cult after-effects can present themselves in ways that may not be obvious, especially if you believe you've already closed the book on that chapter of your life. As my psychologist told me: "we can treat behavior, but behavior is nearly always symbolic."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit