@ djeggnog

by bennyk 39 Replies latest jw friends

• bennyk
    bennyk

This is in response to a thread to which I was unable to reply.

djeggnog wrote (on page 5440):

@bennyk:

I find that more often times than not, this question you ask is raised due to a failure on the part of those who have been baptized to comprehend what it means for someone to have God’s spirt in them or for God’s spirit to be operative upon them. At 1Thessalonians 4:3-8, the apostle Paul states that whomever it is that has God’s spirit in them "that shows disregard," even contempt, for what things they have learned to be God’s will, he or she is showing disregard, but not for man, not for the brother or sister from whom they came to learn the truth, but for God, since it was He that put His holy spirit in them. Everything that we read in the Bible is God-breathed, that is, these things were written down by some 40 men that were inspired by God to do so, and while there are many people today that have voiced many doubts as to whether God had anything at all to do with the passages we read in our Bibles today, for many of us that have studied the Bible for many, many years, we have no doubts whatsoever as to whose thoughts were written down by these men.

I know you remember the following words that Jesus uttered when praying on behalf of his followers back then that had been actively taking in knowledge of his Father, the only true God, Jehovah, and of the Lord Jesus Christ: "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ"; these familiar words I've quoted from John 17:3. But focusing on the words "taking in knowledge," to what "knowledge" do you suppose Jesus was referring here? At John 17:17 refers to this "knowledge" of God and Christ as being "the truth: "Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth." When Jesus says what he does at John 17:3, he was referring to "the truth," and he left us in no doubt as to what the truth is, Jesus stating here that God's word "is truth."

The scriptural injunction placed on all Christians is that they should "go on acquiring power in the Lord and in the mightiness in his strength," and to"make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine." (Ephesians 6:10; 1 Thessalonians 5:21) This requires that Christians take in knowledge of the Bible so that they are sure of what they say when they speak to others about the good news of God's kingdom. But do you speak to others about the good news? Ever? If so, what do you say?

I would note that earlier, by what Jesus says at John 14:16, 17, about "the helper" being with us forever, he refers to this "helper" as "the spirit of the truth," and says that while we ourselves would "know" the "helper" because the spirit of the truth "remains" with us and is also in us, the world cannot receive the helper because the world can neither "behold" or discern the truth, nor does it possess the knowledge that we have. Why?

At 1 Corinthians 2:13, 14, the apostle Paul tell us why, saying that "a physical man does not receive the things of the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him," and so Paul points out that this is why the world "cannot get to know them," since the things 'taught by the spirit of the truth' can only be "examined spiritually." But at 1 Corinthians 3:1-3, Paul goes to say about those brothers that walk according to "the spirit of the world" with jealousy and strife, that they aren't walking as "spiritual men," but, rather, as "fleshly men," that they are walking as "babes in Christ," for unlike the physical man, these "fleshly" Christians have some knowledge the truth. Just as Jesus had God's spirit and sanctified himself by means of the truth for our sake by making himself "a vessel for an honorable purpose, ... useful to his owner," those that also have God's spirit have themselves been sanctified as 'vessels for an honorable purpose' according to God's will through the offering of Jesus' ransom "once for all time." (John 17:19; 2 Timothy 2:21; Hebrews 10:10)

So then whether one should be a spiritual man or woman or a fleshly man or woman, you have come to know the spirit of the truth, and this is not something that a physical man or woman in the part of the world that is alienated from God can say. Consequently, the reason you can understand at least some of what I'm saying here in this post is because some of God's spirit is in you; for example, were I to say to you that the account at Luke 16:19-31 about the rich man and Lazarus is a parable and is not to be taken literally, or that Jesus died on a Friday and rose on a Sunday, or even that 1 John 5:7 as rendered in the KJV Bible, your knowing these things proves the validity of what Jesus says at John 14:16, 17, about "the spirit of the truth" being with us forever, even if you should now blaspheme this same spirit by suggesting that God's spirit cannot operate upon a false prophet; of course it can.

Did God's spirit operate on Balaam despite the fact that he was himself a false prophet that orchestrated the events that led to the deaths of 24,000 Israelites? According to what God's spirit breathed into Moses and into the apostle Peter, whether you should now accept nothing of all that the Bible teaches, is your answer to this question Yes or no? (See Numbers 24:2; 2 Peter 2:16)

If, on one hand, your opposition to the things you were taught by the spirit of the truth should be due to deception or imperfection, God's knows, but if, on the other hand, your opposition to God's spirit should be both wilful and deliberate actions on your part, then as someone that knows the truth, the you must know that such blasphemy will never be forgiven you. But why fight against the truth? Why should anyone fight about God at all? Why should anyone be on the other side of the issue of universal sovereignty?

Why all of the "jealousy and strife" over the work of salvation that is being done through the imperfect men and women that are a part of God's visible channel of communication, a work that He wills to be done before the end comes? (2 Peter 3:9; Matthew 24:14) Why meddle or attempt to interfere with the preaching work being done by those folks that are the ones wearing the white robes? (Matthew 12:30; Acts 5:38, 39; Revelation 7:9, 14)

And why would anyone not be on Jesus' side of the issue? I mean, if every has a white robe on, that is, everyone but you, how would the angels fail to see who is rightly a member of the assembly standing before God's throne holding palm branches in their hands? The soiled robe will give you away! Why on earth would anyone at all want to be found "liars against the truth" when there is no successful winning strategy that can be employed against Jesus and His angels when they come as executioners to bring God's vengeance against all opposers of the truth? (James 3:14; Ephesians 4:25; 2 Thessalonians 1:6-10)

As to that statement of yours questioning whether or not the fact that the association of Jehovah's Witnesses today is the only Christian group that is preaching the established kingdom of God in the hands of Jesus Christ evinces that what Jehovah's Witnesses are doing today fulfills Jesus' prophecy, may I ask you: Do you know of any other Christian group, apart from Jehovah's Witnesses, that you know to be preaching and declaring God's kingdom as mankind's only hope for a witness to all of the nations on the planet that they are able to reach with this message as foretold at Matthew 24:14? If so, what is the name of this Christian group.

Lastly, you asked if I honestly believed Jesus would appoint the faithful and discreet slave over all of his belongings when the organization itself would be "rightly branded apostate" by "its own published standard," and I believe the 'faithful slave' was so appointed by Jesus even though you believe them to be apostates.

My response:

I do indeed speak to others regarding the "good news", viz.:
    Despite the fact that men are actually born estranged from God (Rom. 3:9,23; 5:12), God sent His Son to die on behalf of sinful mankind (Matt. 20:28; Rom. 3:28; 8:32; 1 John 4:9,10). Those exercising faith in the ransom sacrifice of the Son are promised full forgiveness of sin (Acts 13:38,39; Rom. 4:25a; 2 Cor. 5:19; Eph. 1:7; Col. 1:14; Heb. 10:12,17,18; 1 John 1:7,9; 2:2; Rev. 1:5), are justified (i.e. declared righteous) (Acts 13:38,39; Rom. 3:26,28; 4:25b-5:1; 5:9,18; 8:33; 1 Cor. 6:12; 2 Cor. 5:21; Gal. 2:16), and sanctified (John 17:19; 1 Cor. 6:11; Eph. 5:25b-27; 2 Thess. 2:13; Heb. 10:10; 13:12). As such, they are reconciled to God (Rom. 5:10; 1 Cor. 1:21-23; 2 Cor. 5:18,19; Eph. 2:16) and adopted as His children (John 1:12; Rom. 8:14-16; Gal. 3:26; 4:4-7; Eph. 1:5; 1 John 3:1), thereby becoming brothers of Christ (Heb. 2:11), who serves as their Advocate (Rom. 8:34; Heb. 7:25; 1 John 2:1), High Priest (Heb. 4:4; 7:26,27), and Mediator (1 Tim. 2:5; Heb. 8:6; 9:15; 12:24). Christians thus become heirs of God and joint-heirs of Christ (Rom. 8:17; Gal. 3:29; 4:7; Titus 3:6,7; Heb. 9:15; Rev. 21:7), who graciously grants everlasting life (John 3:36; 5:24,39,40; 6:40,47; 10:28; 1 John 4:9; 5:11; Rev. 5:21).
    As you see, the Gospel I preach is scriptural.

I agree that God's Spirit did operate on Balaam. It is ironic that you (no doubt following the Watch Tower Society) call Balaam a "false prophet" despite the fact that the Scriptures testify that what he prophesied came true (Deut. 23:5), but you will allow no one to call the Society a "false prophet" despite their numerous false prophecies. You make repeated references to "truth", but seem to be little concerned that it be ... true. Even more egregious is the fact that the Watch Tower Society is perfectly willing to attempt to establish its credentials using distorted statements and outright lies. As examples thereof: Watchtower 01. Nov. 1952, p. 658 § 16; Watchtower 15. June 1954, p. 370 § 4; Watchtower 15. Oct. 1956, p. 614; Watchtower 15. Feb. 1966, p. 103; Watchtower 15. Oct. 1966, p. 617 § 15; Awake! 08. Oct. 1972, p. 15; Awake! 22. Jan. 1973, p. 8; Yearbook 1975, p. 37; Watchtower 01. April 1984, p. 16 § 5; Watchtower 01. Dec. 1984, p. 14 § 20; Watchtower 01. Sep. 1985, p. 24 § 11; Watchtower 15. Sept. 1998, p. 15. However, the Scriptures assure us that "no lie originates with the truth" (1 John 2:21).

Although I do not claim to be conversant with the teachings of every denomination or sect that calls itself "christian", I cannot name any such that do not preach God's kingdom as mankind's only hope. Can you? While it is true that as individual denominations they may not preach in as many lands as does the Watch Tower Society, in the aggregate those other denominations preach more extensively. Furthermore, the Society preaches a "different Gospel" (Watchtower 01. May 1981, p. 17 §3) which stands under Apostolic condemnation (Gal. 1:8,9) and therefore does not fulfill Matthew 24:14. In fact, the Society's doctrines deny 99.8% of their followers entrance into the New Covenant, which means the so-called Witnesses are ' without hope and without God' (Eph. 2:12).

In response to your statement that you believe the Watch Tower Society was so appointed by Jesus although it would be "rightly branded apostate" by "its own published standard," I cannot make a reply that would not appear sarcastic or insulting...

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@bennyk:

I do indeed speak to others regarding the "good news", viz.: Despite the fact that men are actually born estranged from God [citations], God sent His Son to die on behalf of sinful mankind [citations]. Those exercising faith in the ransom sacrifice of the Son are promised full forgiveness of sin [citations], are justified (i.e. declared righteous) [citations], and sanctified [citations]. As such, they are reconciled to God [citations] and adopted as His children [citations], thereby becoming brothers of Christ [citation], who serves as their Advocate [citations], High Priest [citations], and Mediator [citations]. Christians thus become heirs of God and joint-heirs of Christ [citations], who graciously grants everlasting life [citations]. As you see, the Gospel I preach is scriptural.

Well, not everyone that exercises faith in the ransom provision will become recipients of Jehovah's merciful arrangement. One needs to inform themselves of God's mercy through the ransom and put faith in this provision by studying the Bible, and then recognize that apart from the ransom, we are all of us under condemnation and will die. Through the ransom only those 144,000 called and adopted by God are declared righteous in spirit and will be granted immortal life in the heavens as joint-heirs with Christ in the heavenly kingdom as immortal sons of God. Those declared righteous as friends of God will have righteousness imputed to them until after Christ's Millennial Reign when they along with the resurrected "dead" will only then be declared righteous in the flesh on their own merit as perfect sons of God.

The gospel or "good news" involves the fulfillment of God's purpose vindicate his name and purposes toward the earth, which includes crushing out all rebellion, and the restoration of peace and righteousness in both heaven and earth. The good news speaks to both the blessings that are in store for true worshippers of Jehovah, for all worship not based on truth goes to Satan the Devil, who accepts all worship not based on truth, as well as to God's day of vengeance when those that don't know God and those that don't obey the good news will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction.

However, only those dedicated Christians that are a part of God's organization that remain faithful to God until the end of their lives and those who are wearing white robes as survivors of Armageddon have the prospect being declared righteous in the flesh along with those of the resurrected dead that will learn righteousness during Judgment Day.

Now this is the gospel that Jehovah's Witnesses preach.

If you should no longer be a part of God's organization, know that you have abandoned Jehovah, and God's adversary, that hateful Devil and Satan, is your god, and whatever it is you're preaching is just in vain, for it is not the gospel of Jesus Christ that you are preaching, for you are not preaching in accord with the good news.

"O Jehovah, who will be a guest in your tent? Who will reside in your holy mountain? He who is walking faultlessly and practicing righteousness and speaking the truth in his heart." The psalmist at Psalm 15:1, 2, says this about those who Jehovah invites as a guest in His tent, into the holy place of His Great Spiritual Temple, those who are walking faultlessly, practicing righteousness and speaking the truth in their hearts. It is an impossibility for anyone to worship God acceptably if he or she should be standing outside the courtyards of God's tabernacle.

Jehovah is truly an awe-inspiring God, and He is to be reverenced and feared, and no one should think that they can claim to be one of His servants and at the same time serve Him in just any way they wish. That would just be delusional thinking on their part.

I'm looking now at 1 Peter 3:12, where the apostle Peter says that Jehovah's "eyes" are upon the righteous ones," that Jehovah's "ears" are toward the supplications of the righteous, and that His "face" are against those doing bad things. But Jehovah doesn't have eyes, ears or a face! To think of God as having ears, ears and a face would just be more delusional thinking, right? Peter describes God using human terms, since we are the ones that have eyes, ears and a face. Jesus said at John 4:24 that "God is a Spirit."

Our sight depends upon light, but God can see in the dark, and He can look down into our hearts and see exactly what kinds of persons we are, can see whose heart is complete toward Him, can see who all the faultfinders are. Our hearing depends upon sound waves, but God can hear a prayer silently uttered in one's heart and He can answer a prayer in an instant of time.

Jehovah is a loving and merciful God and the things we read about Him in the Bible ought to build up an appreciation, awe, reverence and fear in our hearts for Him.

It as God's love that caused Him to send the one closest to Him to die as a ransom and to wait as patiently as He has in order to give people a chance to benefit from this ransom provision. Many people today are blaming God for wickedness and all of the distress when it is because of God's love that He has permitted wickedness to exist to our day, to give both you and me and others time to repent, straighten out and get in line to serve Him.

Now people aren't blaming the Devil, the one who has been the cause of all of this trouble, all of the violence, all of the wickedness in the first place, are they? But who is the One suffering all of this reproach? Jehovah God; the reproach is on God's name. The average person is blaming God, and saying that either He doesn't exist or, if He does exist, then He must be bad or He must be impotent and powerless to do anything about our situation.

Now does Jehovah God need to put up with those who are reproaching His name? No, he doesn't have to put up with this, but He is a God is love, and for this reason He's willing to forgive those who in their ignorance are reproaching His name. He's patient with us and He doesn't want anyone to be destroyed. He is a loving God and is worthy of being worshipped.

But God has moral standards so that question is, Are we meeting those standards? Does God accept us as His worshippers? Are we meeting the standards that He has set for those serving Him in the congregations?

Really, we need to keep in mind though that there are only two sides, Jehovah's side and Satan the Devil's side. You are now either on one side or the other, and so if you are by your conduct you are not pleasing the true God, if you are not pleasing Jehovah by the things you're doing, and you are not, along with other Christians, who are themselves worshipping God in spirit and in truth, united in worship of Him, then you are on that broad road that only leads to destruction, and you know this.

But if you are pleasing Jehovah by what you're doing, if you are pleasing Him by your conduct, if you are worshipping God in spirit and in truth along with other Christians, then you are definitely on that narrow road that leads to life, and all of the blessings that God's worshippers are promised are yours to enjoy eternally with all of the other praisers of Jehovah.

[Y]ou will allow no one to call the Society a "false prophet" despite their numerous false prophecies.

What do you mean? I have no problem with you calling the WTS a "false prophet"; you're entitled to your opinion and entitled to believe what you wish. There's no need to put words into my mouth that I did not say. Now other than trumpeting possible dates when one of God's prophecies might undergo fulfillment and these dates not holding up, other than making a few declarations that when measured by today's knowledge turned out to have been rather zany or making a few "edicts" that had to later be rescinded (i.e., receiving an organ transplant is like cannibalism), has the WTS ever indicated that its words (or edicts) were inspired or that it had been given the gift of prophecy so that it could make predictions about the future? Then how can it be said that the WTS has ever been a "false prophet"?

You make repeated references to "truth", but seem to be little concerned that it be ... true. Even more egregious is the fact that the Watch Tower Society is perfectly willing to attempt to establish its credentials using distorted statements and outright lies.

This statement of yours is loaded, but I'm sure you knew that, didn't you? Whatever their many faults as imperfect men, even as you and I are also imperfect, I believe God is blessing their efforts to search for those who are sighing and groaning to acquaint them with the good news so that they might gain life in God's new order. If the WTS should be mistaken in its adherence to Acts 15:29 with respect to blood transfusions, and someone dies, I'm thinking that Jesus Christ has been empowered to resurrect the dead. What do you think?

Now were I faced with the decision as to whether to permit a transfusion for a member of my own family, or should the decision be about medical decisions affecting my own life, we are resolved to take whatever steps we can short of violating God's command to "abstain ... from blood," because we believe in the resurrection. (We know that are going to need one if any of us should not be among the survivors of Armageddon, you see.) But if I should fall short and give in to fear, I'll just be sitting in the back of the Kingdom Hall being shunned while being scourged by Jehovah until reinstated. I mean, where shall I go? Jesus is the Holy One of God and he pleads for me. (John 6:67-69) I'm not going anywhere!

Although I do not claim to be conversant with the teachings of every denomination or sect that calls itself "christian", I cannot name any such that do not preach God's kingdom as mankind's only hope. Can you? While it is true that as individual denominations they may not preach in as many lands as does the Watch Tower Society, in the aggregate those other denominations preach more extensively. Furthermore, the Society preaches a "different Gospel" [citation] which stands under Apostolic condemnation [citation] and therefore does not fulfill Matthew 24:14.

Yes, not one of the churches in Christendom are preaching God's kingdom as mankind's only hope. I don't feel there exists any need for me to be more specific.

In fact, the Society's doctrines deny 99.8% of their followers entrance into the New Covenant, which means the so-called Witnesses are ' without hope and without God' [citation].

Not just the WTS, but all of Jehovah's Witnesses know from having studied God's word that if one has not been anointed and adopted by God so that they enjoy spiritual sonship, then one is a party to the New Covenant. But this by no stretch of your imagination means that those of us that have been declared righteous as friends of God are without hope. You are, of course, free to believe the contrary to be the case.

In response to your statement that you believe the Watch Tower Society was so appointed by Jesus although it would be "rightly branded apostate" by "its own published standard," I cannot make a reply that would not appear sarcastic or insulting...

Well, if you have a reply to make, then make it. Jehovah doesn't care what you say; Jesus doesn't care what you say. Only take care that you do not grieve God's spirit by what you say as if you believe God's spirit that is in operation on the congregations of God is not manifest to you.

• elderelite
    elderelite
    If the WTS should be mistaken in its adherence to Acts 15:29 with respect to blood transfusions, and someone dies, I'm thinking that Jesus Christ has been empowered to resurrect the dead. What do you think?

I'm thinking thats is circular logic at its worst. Let me see if I follow....

A) maybe acts 15:29 means no blood transfusions, maybe not. its no big deal because

B) the Christ can resurrect any who die as a result of obeying what may or may not be a Christian requirement, however

C) If you take a blood transfusion, which may or may not be acceptable to God and the Christ, you will be DF'd and thus subject to destruction

so when all is said and done, it is better to not take blood, die and be resurrected for sure than to take blood, live, and be destroyed for sure all based on a scripture that may or may not mean we shouldn't take blood. Except for fractions. until somebody at the branch changes their mind. In which case it will then be OK. because THEN we will REALLY understand for sure this time what the scripture meant. Until we change our minds again. and don't worry about all those folks who died unnecessarily. They will be back eventually and we can apologize in person. except the Governing Body has a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG history of never saying "sorry", so that wont actually happen. but those who died and missed out on having their wifes or husbands (no marriage for the resurrected), and seeing their kids grow up, all those kids who grow up without a parent or parents, all those who missed out on living to see first hand the vindication of Gods name, all those weren't around to preach right up until the end, those who missed a chance to be part of the millions now living who will never die, all those people will have had the privilege of dying to uphold what may or may not actually be God's law on blood.

makes perfect sense.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@djeggnog wrote:

If the WTS should be mistaken in its adherence to Acts 15:29 with respect to blood transfusions, and someone dies, I'm thinking that Jesus Christ has been empowered to resurrect the dead. What do you think?

@elderelite wrote:

I'm thinking thats is circular logic at its worst.

"I can quit smoking anytime I want to do so" contains a false premise ["I can quit smoking"] and means that he or she doesn't want to quit smoking, which would be an example of circular reasoning, or circular logic.

Perhaps the following example of such would be more helpful to you:

"I know everything that Jehovah's Witnesses believe because I was baptized as such some ten years ago" is a fallacious argument [as if having been baptized constitutes proof that one knows all of the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses], but this statement assumes an unproven premise about baptized Christians and would be yet another example of circular logic, circular reasoning. Get it?

Let me see if I follow....

A) maybe acts 15:29 means no blood transfusions, maybe not. its no big deal because

No, Acts 15:29 a big deal now.

B) the Christ can resurrect any who die as a result of obeying what may or may not be a Christian requirement, however

Yes, this is true.

C) If you take a blood transfusion, which may or may not be acceptable to God and the Christ, you will be DF'd and thus subject to destruction

Not exactly. Jehovah God knows the circumstances under which you will have accepted a blood transfusion, if this is what you decided to do. He also knows if you were motivated to do so by fear or if you did so to get His goat, is it were. Now if it should turn out that the current view should be abandoned later, even if the current view was actually the correct one, you would then be suggesting that those who were disfellowshipped (or who had disassociated themselves) by accepting a blood transfusion based on the then-current understanding about blood transfusions would be subject to destruction?

I don't know what kind of God you believe Jehovah to be, but you clearly do not know God at all, and disfellowshipping is discipline and nothing more. When you discipline your children, your goal isn't to kill them, is it? Then why would you expect either the Sovereign Lord Jehovah or His Son Jesus Christ to whom mankind's salvation has been entrusted to use such discipline to kill those for whom Christ died, who willingly, even voluntarily became God's property that they might became reconciled to God? Discipline is used to teach obedience, to teach right values, and is never used to kill anyone. God used discipline to teach His own son obedience, so what would make you think that any of us should be exempt from receiving discipline from Jehovah?

What you see as circular logic is not circular logic at all. What I hear coming from you though is anger-speak. You make no sense at all. But maybe through the expression of your anger here, headway will be made so that you finally realize how foolish it is for anyone to become enraged against Jehovah.

so when all is said and done, it is better to not take blood, die and be resurrected for sure than to take blood, live, and be destroyed for sure all based on a scripture that may or may not mean we shouldn't take blood.

You will not be destroyed for doing what you believed God had commanded of you. Abraham took Isaac up to a mountain, built an altar and then laid is own son upon that altar to kill him, did he not? Jehovah was testing Abraham's faith in Him, was He not? Figuratively speaking, Isaac received a resurrection, did he not? Where's your faith?

[S]o that wont actually happen. but those who died and missed out on having their wifes or husbands (no marriage for the resurrected), and seeing their kids grow up, all those kids who grow up without a parent or parents, all those who missed out on living to see [firsthand] the vindication of Gods name, all those weren't around to preach right up until the end, those who missed a chance to be part of the millions now living who will never die, all those people will have had the privilege of dying to uphold what may or may not actually be God's law on blood.

Who was it that taught you that there will be no marriages for those resurrected? Where was it that you learned that all of this is about the vindication of Jehovah's name? Who exactly told you that those dying in this life from having adhered to God's law on blood as we understand it today will miss out on being one of those millions now living never having to taste death?

Please don't tell me that you, the guy that came in here talking about circular logic, was able to figure out these things about which the Bible teaches all on your own, for most of the people I meet have never even considered the vindication of God's name, let alone surviving Armageddon or giving consideration to whether they will be able to marry upon being resurrected. These folks I have met expect to go to heaven to live in an afterlife of bliss strumming a harp for an eternity. You sound like you were brainwashed by someone. If you have abandoned God's organization, why would you still be contemplating what things you came to learn when you were walking in lock-step with God's organization, I mean, if you don't agree with those things? Why would you be here repeating to me what things I continue to believe as if I need you to preach these things to me?

If you want to be angry at someone, be angry at yourself for getting baptized in the first place when you really weren't ready to be obedient. Many years ago, we used to un-baptize people, but I'm glad that no longer do this because dedicated disciples of Christ have white robes and those that are disfellowshipped have soiled white robes that can be made white again. Unbaptized people do not have white robes at all so, in my view, one is in better shape in a disfellowshipped/disassociated state than you are in an unbaptized state.

I'm now thinking of something wise that a Pharisee named Gamaliel said about what you are essentially doing. What do you think your real chances are of winning this fight against God, @elderelite? (Acts 5:34, 38, 39) Just curious.

• TD
    TD

For the believers, the ressurrection is a wonderful hope but does it ameliorate bloodguilt here and now?

One of the things that I have always respected about Jehovah's Witnesses is that they do not try to run from responsibility when innocent life is lost. For example, on the absolutely disgusting practice of female circumcision the June 22, 1985 issue of Awake! stated on page 27:

"Remember female circumcision is dangerous. Little girls die because of it. According to the Bible, when we deliberately put someone's life unnecessarily in danger, we could become bloodguilty. (Compare 1 Chronicles 11:17-19) Christian parents would not want to incur bloodguilt by risking their daughters lives in this way --Psalm 51:14.

If you could become bloodguilty for even risking the life of your child unnecessarily, then could you also become bloodguilty for the actual death of a child directly attributable to your refusal of a medical treatment that doctors tell you is absolutely necessary?

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@djeggnog wrote:

@TD wrote:

For the believers, the [resurrection] is a wonderful hope but does it ameliorate bloodguilt here and now?

Ameliorate? What "bloodguilt" do you mean? Like the half-billion Jews, Moors, Catholics and others -- men, women and children -- that died at the hands of the clergy of the Roman Catholic Church, either for being declared "heretics" or for blessing the men that waged war against one another during WWI and WWII? Perhaps you and I define "bloodguilt" a bit differently.

One of the things that I have always respected about Jehovah's Witnesses is that they do not try to run from responsibility when innocent life is lost.... If you could become bloodguilty for even risking the life of your child unnecessarily, then could you also become bloodguilty for the actual death of a child directly attributable to your refusal of a medical treatment that doctors tell you is absolutely necessary?

Who cares what things you respect about Jehovah's Witnesses? If you were to die tomorrow, most of Jehovah's Witnesses would be totally unaffected by it, wouldn't even be given any notice whatsoever about your death. In this world, there are medical doctors and for a very good reason. In the world to come though, no one will even be getting sick, but right now, in this world, the point that is often stressed by the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses and when we speak to others about our God, Jehovah, is that blood is sacred and that we should also regard blood as such. If anyone should die because of their not accepting a blood transfusion as part of their medical treatment, we believe the resurrection hope that we have based firmly on our faith in God's word to be a real hope, and we are willing to die, if need be, for our beliefs.

I would point out to you, @TD, that children are the sole responsibility of their parents, and just as no parent on earth would want to subject their own children to any medical procedure that carries even a 1% risk of their child becoming infected by some disease based on their receiving transfused blood as a part of their medical treatment, not one of Jehovah's Witnesses would subject any of their children to any degree of risk with respect to any medical treatment that might be administered to them, but for a more compelling reason -- obedience to God -- they would all draw the line at permitting their children to accept a blood transfusion.

I would also point out to you, although you may not wish to hear this, that no doctor on earth can guarantee 100% that by anyone taking one, four, nine or more units of blood that his or her patient will not die, just as they cannot guarantee 100% that anyone that submits to a surgical procedure will survive the procedure, and it would be tantamount to rape were any parent, any doctor or any judge to force a blood transfusion upon an adult that is unwilling to accept one, or upon someone's child without their having first received parental consent to do so.

It is the absolute right of Jehovah's Witnesses to reject active participation in anything that goes against our Bible-trained consciences, despite whether someone else's conscience might permit them to participate actively in anything and everything.

You are not one of Jehovah's Witnesses, so I cannot expect you to understand my view, and I could care less that you think bloodguilt to be involved in some way with respect to the position of Jehovah's Witnesses when it comes to accepting blood transfusions.

• TD
    TD

djeggnog:

I'm not attacking you here. You opened the door to the question via a conditional statement:

If the WTS should be mistaken in its adherence to Acts 15:29

Of course, it doesn't matter what I think. What matters is what God thinks. Right?

If life does belong to God. (Ezekiel 18:4) and when life is lost by design, by accident or by negligence, those responsible are accountable with their lives, (Genesis 9:5,6; Ezekiel 3:18,20; 33:6,8) and if causing the death of someone completely innocent has been one of the most detestable things to God since the time of Abel. (Proverbs 6:16,17; Genesis 4:10; Psalm 5:6; Psalm 55:23 Jeremiah 7:30,31) then it follows that God would take a very dim view of any mistake involving loss of life

If I'm driving my car too fast through a residential neighbor and as a result I strike and kill a child, does the fact that the child will someday be resurrected in any way reduce my responsibility? Would the grieving parents accept that excuse? How about the police? More to the point, would God accept that excuse?

I realize that medical situations are not cut and dried like this, but group statistics are still shocking.

Severe forms of leukemia, aplastic anemia, lymphoma and Hodgkin's disease were once thought to be incurable. Today, thousands of lives are saved every year via bone marrow transplant. But since there is long period when the recipient is not producing blood on their own, transfusion remains an integral part of the procedure and JW patients are not viable candidates. Long term remissions are extremely rare among Witness patients.

I take it you feel the parents alone would bear the burden if a mistake has been made?

• elderelite
    elderelite

DJ eggnog has just identified himself beyond doubt as a troll. No reasonable discussion. just

Who cares what things you respect about Jehovah's Witnesses? If you were to die tomorrow, most of Jehovah's Witnesses would be totally unaffected by

it, wouldn't even be given any notice whatsoever about your death.

and

I could care less that you think bloodguilt to be involved in some way with respect to the position of Jehovah's Witnesses when it comes to accepting blood transfusions.

troll, troll troll.

• confliction
    confliction

Fail thread is fail.

cirular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because...

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@TD:

I'm not attacking you here. You opened the door to the question via a conditional statement:

If the WTS should be mistaken in its adherence to Acts 15:29

I opened what door? In case you're not paying attention, you are the one building the strawman here about my use of the word "if," making the case that I really should not have used this word when that is exactly the word I sought (and did!) use.

Of course, it doesn't matter what I think. What matters is what God thinks. Right?

Who is your god? You admitted to me early on that you aren't religious person, that your interest in what Jehovah's Witnesses believe "is purely academic," but this is just a lie. Your interest is in disparaging the work that Jehovah's Witnesses do, and the WTS community are all of them Jehovah's Witnesses. If you someone that is set in opposition to those that are actively doing God's will, you're right: It doesn't matter what you think at all.

You don't respect anything at all that the Bible teaches and yet you are here citing Ezekiel 18:4, Genesis 4:10, Psalm 55:23, to name a few scriptures you included in your message. You really don't know my God, Jehovah, or of what things He takes "a very dim view."

If I'm driving my car too fast through a residential neighbor and as a result I strike and kill a child, does the fact that the child will someday be resurrected...?

The Bible doesn't teach that a child, because it is a child, will someday receive a resurrection. The predicate of this statement of yours isn't a Bible teaching, which you would know were you to have buried that arrogant air about you and humbly accepted a Bible study with one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Jehovah isn't a sentimental God; evidently your god is quite sentimental, and believes what things you believe as to the concept of "innocent" children.

In the kingdom of the heavens, there are no "innocent" children, no such thing as an innocent child.

Children are deemed "holy" on account of their believing parents; if neither is believing, then the child that you think to be so innocent will, in fact, perish at Armageddon, and if he or she dies before Armageddon and he or she has no believing parent, that child will perish in this life and will not receive a resurrection. Do you now feel you have a better understanding of what the Bible teaches? of what Jehovah's Witnesses teach? Put this question to your wife and my hope is that she will be just as frank with you as I have been here.

There were no children -- not a single infant -- that survived the global deluge that occurred in 2370 BC, and there were no children that survived the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah that occurred some 461 years later in 1909 BC, and just like the parents of these children, not one of their children will receive a resurrection during Judgment Day; they will all have fallen victim to the sword along with those on the side of your god when God's Executioner, Jesus Christ, brings to a climax the end of this wicked system of things at Armageddon.

As Jeremiah 16:3, 4, says "concerning the sons and concerning the daughters that are born..., and concerning their mothers who are giving them birth and concerning their fathers who are causing their birth..., 'With deaths from maladies they will die. They will not be bewailed, neither will they be buried. As manure upon the surface of the ground they will become; and by the sword [of Christ and his executional forces] ... they will come to an end, and their dead bodies will actually serve as food for the flying creatures of the heavens and for the beasts of the earth.'"

If you should be one of those not meeting the standards that the true God has set for those serving Him, then you are on the side of God's adversary, the Devil, and he is your god, for to be pleasing to my God, you have to join yourself to those worshipping Him in spirit and truth, and stop joining those apostates and opposers in taunting God's true worshippers because these folks have made different choices than they, and have chosen to be God's true worshippers.

I take it you feel the parents alone would bear the burden if a mistake has been made?

You don't even know me, so how could you possibly imagine that you could guess what I might feel about anything? Anyway, if you were paying attention to what I have written in this message, then you now know more about what I feel than you did before you sat to read this message.

Oh my! I just used the word "if" again. This makes me wonder if I will ever learn how not to use "if" when the word I intend to use is "if." Who knows? <:-J>

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit