Prince: How the rock legend turned his life around

by Dogpatch 36 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Randy...

Hi there!...my opinion of Prince hasn't changed because he's joined the ranks of the jw's.

I've always found him to be kind of an interesting person if one can gain insight into someone by their lyrics and what is said on album covers...:)

I can see where people who don't read the bible and who aren't familiar with bible references might be confused and think that what he says is weird. like the big snake and little snake thing...maybe he just figures that everyone should be able to "fill in the blanks" of what he's trying to say...but everyone can't...having said that (being a kind of "biblecentric" person myself) I think he would drive me nuts if he was ALWAYS talking like that. I would have to walk away but not before I gave him a loving flick on the ear.

It's also a real drag that Kevin Smith portrayed him as being unthankful for the work that he had done...in this case perhaps Prince reaped what he sowed.

I appreciate the music that he has given to us because it is a part of himself...it does take a certain amount of humility to "seek"...and it is encouraging to see that even those blessed beyond most peoples dreams can hunger and thirst for righteousness...and so I continue to hope that he and the rest of the jw's and gb are blessed with the righteousness that will come to them individually by way of Jesus from God...romans 3:21-26.

love michelle

p.s. I would not be "cool" with him coming to my door to preach like others have been...I can see myself coming "unglued" in a hurry...xo

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

His mum was a witness most of her life? Did she die a witness? I never knew that about him, which means he was exposed to the religion as a child, and probably always had it in his heart - somewhere. Kind of like going back to his roots. I believe Cliff Richard grew up the same didn't he? He still has affection for the witnesses also.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Maybe he'll show up at my door. I'll tell him I didn't like his music then, and I don't like his religion now.

• millions now living are dead
    millions now living are dead

"The rifleman is stalking the sick and lame. Preacher man does the same, who gets there first is uncertain." - Jokerman - Bob Dylan

• observador
    observador

The confusion/reaction from the JWs is typical:

when Prince does any dumb/stupid non-JW thing, they say "ohh, but he's not a real JW";

but when he plays a little song from JW's songbook or goes to the field service, they'll say "what a fine example for wordly people. Jehevah has blessed him... blah blah blah..."

Observador

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Great artist - not a JW.

I think that Prince only latched on to the JW's because he was vulnerable. His mother was a JW and so it was nothing new to him, and like many a person before him that find themselves alone, orphaned, bearing the burden of circumstance and/or tragedy, they look for something to root them. He chose the organization, most likely because it was a link to his mother and it was familiar. I don't think for a moment he buys into all the crap or he would have sold his house, moved into a shack and dedicated himself to becoming anonymous and pioneering - he isn't, he didn't, he won't. Nothing wrong with being introspective, with searching for some meaning to your life but for anyone to think he's a devout JW I think is foolish. He cannot and will not shirk the world and shame on the WTS for allowing money and privilege to override their teachings and setting up a system of hypocrisy for all to see. Poor Prince - he should wake up and understand that the society is most likely just using him for PR and salivating at the possibility of millions of bucks coming their way.

sammieswife

• designs
    designs

Geeez sammie, was that purple rain all over his parade

Rich JWs are the flame to the moth, he may get tired of the hangers on, or see it as a new fan base. There is an interesting circle of top musicians in the JWs, some are able to live a strict life and others faulter. Dylan experimented with the Born Again movement, made some great music from the experience, 'Slow Train Coming', and then moved on.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/7885429/Prince-really-doesnt-understand-the-internet.html

Prince really doesn't understand the internet

Prince's decision to give away his latest CD with the Mirror could turn out to be a huge commercial blunder.

Fancy picking up a copy of Prince’s new album, 20Ten, which came out this weekend? Well, you can’t, because it was released as a CD giveaway on the cover of Saturday's Mirror – and absolutely nowhere else. Prince has refused to sell 20Ten via iTunes, seeing no reason for his new material to be available on the internet at all. If you want to buy it now, or at any time in the future, you’ll either have to scour eBay – which, like the second-hand book trade, earns the artist nothing – or turn to more nefarious means, such as BitTorrent. Sound like a huge commercial blunder to you? Yup, me too.

The giveaway was hyped last week with an interview in which Prince made some telling remarks: “The internet’s like MTV,” he said. “At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can’t be good for you.”

t’s difficult to believe that statement was intended to be taken at face value, until you dig a bit deeper into Prince’s troubled history with the internet: a complicated relationship that began with utopian enthusiasm, back when Prince saw the web as the key to liberating himself from the “tyranny” of record companies, but which has ended with contemptuous dismissal.

There’s something odd about a teetotal, vegan artist – particularly one with a history of warring with record labels – hating the internet. Other music icons, like Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor, have embraced the net and experimented very successfully with new distribution and revenue models, discovering armies of new admirers in the process – many of whom are more than happy to stump up for gig tickets after getting a few free MP3s.

Prince, on the other hand, has been struggling to get to grips with it for more than a decade. In 2007, he had to back down after reportedly trying to ban any images of himself or his album covers from being posted on the internet. At the time, his lawyers cited copyright infringement, but fans were confused and angry, and eventually AEG, Prince’s promoter, was forced to issue a clarification. It was only a couple of pictures from a recent live performance they were going after, they said.

That’s not the only example of the artist’s robust attitude toward online copyright: earlier the same year, he announced he was suing YouTube and eBay for not filtering his copyrighted content before it appeared online. But wiping anything off the face of the internet is impossible, and often spectacularly counterproductive. Barbra Streisand once tried to censor an aerial photograph of her home by sending out intimidating cease-and-desist letters; in defiance, internet users replicated the picture far and wide, so the picture reached many millions more than if Streisand had done nothing. (That phenomenon is now called “the Streisand effect”.)

Prince’s most recent internet gaffe, a promotion for his 2009 album LotusFlow3r, saw fans’ credit cards charged recurrent $77 subscription fees for a website that had been taken offline. It seems as though Prince, having had his fingers burned one too many times, is now heaping opprobrium – and lawyers – on a medium he was once wildly enthusiastic about.

Perhaps Prince hasn’t been paying attention, but the recording and motion picture industries have spent hundreds of millions of dollars over the last few years discovering that there are much more sophisticated and effective ways of combating piracy, and that heavy-handed legal tactics simply don’t work.

File-sharing is a fact of life. There was no need for fans to slink up to their local newsagent counter on Saturday, mumbling apologetically about their choice of newspaper, because high-quality copies of his new album were already being heavily seeded on BitTorrent networks, having been uploaded directly from the CDs given away by the Mirror.

I suppose the giveaway of 20Ten might one day be seen as a canny strategy if it bolsters ticket sales for Prince’s very lucrative live shows. But it’s hard to imagine the strategy being replicated by bands whose tour revenues can't make up for the loss in future royalties that Prince has just cost himself by ruling out online sales.

Prince’s attitude seems an unfortunate echo from another decade – somewhat like his music. I mean, seriously: did you know he was 52 last month? He’ll soon be old enough to attend one of those “silver surfer” afternoon classes. Perhaps then he'll finally get the hang of the internet.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

ARE THEIR ELDERS WHEN HE GOES ON HIS DATES? WASN'T HE COUNSELED ABOUT THAT? HE CAN BE DFED IF NO CHAPERON ON THOSE DATES.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Yeah..like I said, he's no JW. I think he's needy - he has no family and the society provides the illusion of one for him. Same story for thousands of people that get sucked in.

He has money. Money buys privilege in the JW world - Prince can pretty well do what he wants because there are no ramifications to him in his personal life. He's been divorced twice...real JW's would have been counselled for that and possibly disfellowshipped and maybe shunned....but then again, who's going to shun him? His parents are both dead, he has no children and as far as I know, he has no other family...I have always thought he is a great entertainer and a talented musician...but a strict JW? About as strict as all the other celebrities who tout the label but don't follow the same rules as the peons.

All I can say is that I guess Jehovah has a separate handbook for people....which one holds the 'truth'? sammieswife

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit