To know that you do not know....

by OnTheWayOut 18 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

To know that you do not know is the best.

To pretend to know when you do not know is a disease.

- Lao Tzu

I read it, I thought it fit an ex-JW forum, so I posted it.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I like it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

DAVID DUNNING: There have been many psychological studies that tell us what we see and what we hear is shaped by our preferences, our wishes, our fears, our desires and so forth. We literally see the world the way we want to see it. But the Dunning-Kruger effect suggests that there is a problem beyond that. Even if you are just the most honest, impartial person that you could be, you would still have a problem — namely, when your knowledge or expertise is imperfect, you really don’t know it. Left to your own devices, you just don’t know it. We’re not very good at knowing what we don’t know. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/the-anosognosics-dilemma-1/

There was a topic started about this very thing a couple of weeks ago. I did a google search because it seemed so interesting and the above article is what I found. I still haven't read it all but it's very interesting.

• flipper
    flipper

OTWO- Very good quote. To know that we do not know keeps us open minded and honest. To pretend to know when you do not know is self deception. Just my 2 cents. LOL ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• asilentone
    asilentone

true that.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

OTO..

Absolute Gold..

Good stuff..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Very good stuff. Thanks for posting it.

• wobble
    wobble

"To pretend to know when you do not know..."

can also be fatal, look at the number of Witnesses who have died for the lack of a life-saving blood transfusion, about which the Bible says nothing at all, thinking they know what the Bible says and what God thinks.

And yet they do not know.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Good post OTWO - Humility is key. Once we realized all that we didn't know about the organization, religion, and God we were free.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

OTWO, that is going on my FB wall this morning. Excellent quote from Lao Tzu.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit