Why are anniversaries okay?

by MrFreeze 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Because the elders in your congregation get to make the rules, so they can:

1) Remove elders because they have large gatherings (or their children do)

2) Remove pioneers

3) Remove MS (or threaten to)

4) No one really knows how many people make a "large social gathering," 5, 10, 15, 20, 25,...50...100...150? I was told that we could not have a "gathering" of more than 5 separate people (not a family group) because it was an opening for apostasy. But a family of ten could meeting with a family of seven (total 17). Their rules.

5) rules, rules, rules; can it be in a rented building, cannot ask for donations or financial help; no people from other congregations even if they are jws and family............must be "in good standing" in the elders opinion. No alcohol. Proper supervision, chaperones, must know every person there personally (try that with a wedding).

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Excellent question/topic. But regardless, sounds like an excuse................................for a PARTY!!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I just don't see how they justify it. Maybe Alice can let us now why it's okay.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

because the GB says so!!!!!!

• wobble
    wobble

Because nothing bad happened on an anniversary in the Bible. (?)

Oops, what about the "Slaughter of the Innocents" by Herod ? Wasn't that done on the second anniversary of the birth of Jesus ?

Someone should write to HQ about this, using the above reasoning, as the WT does, should outlaw anniversaries too for the poor sods.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I didn't get birthday presents. I didn't get christmas presents. But I had to go and buy anniversary presents for the parents?

Off topic: I got told I was lucky that I didn't get told lies about father christmas like the other kids. Right so what about living forever and not growing old?

Totally agree with the illogic of anniversaries - but happy to celebrate them especially the anniversary of when I became free

• tiffy0212
    tiffy0212

Because sister's would really get upset if they didn't get a least 1 gift from their husband. What a joke to even have a celebration sucked up by the org. Bunch of puppets is what they all are. Their conventions should be limited to only a small group.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

an·ni·ver·sa·ry

    / ?æn?'v?rs?ri / Show Spelled [ an- uh - vur -s uh -ree ] Show IPA noun, plural -ries, adjective

–noun

1. the yearly recurrence of the date of a past event: the tenth anniversary of their marriage. 2. the celebration or commemoration of such a date.

birth·day

    / 'b?rθ?de? / Show Spelled [ burth -dey ] Show IPA –noun 1. the anniversary of a birth. 2. the day of a person's birth. 3. a day marking or commemorating the origin, founding, or beginning of something. 4. the festivities or celebration marking such a day or anniversary.

• Hadit
    Hadit

Nor would it be fitting for celebrants to give humans excessive honor, as if the couple whose anniversary it is ought to be venerated. The Bible clearly shows that veneration should go to the Creator, not to any created thing on earth, whether animal or human.

FAIL! Apparently, this excessive honor only applies to the rank and file because they certainly expect us to excessively honor the governing body by allowing them to dictate such ridiculous rules and regulations on every part of our lives. Such hypocrites.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Here you go. Here's two references from two different publications.

***Keep Yourselves in God's Love*** (lv) Under the chapter "Celebrations that Displease God"

Box on page 148, 149:

"Some questions to ask yourself about a popular celebration or custom

? Does it clearly have roots in a false religious practice or teaching, including spiritism?—Isaiah 52:11; 1 Corinthians 4:6; 2 Corinthians 6:14-18; Revelation 18:4.

? Does it give undue honor or adulation to a human, an organization, or a national symbol?—Jeremiah 17:5-7; Acts 10:25, 26; 1 John 5:21.

? Does it elevate one nation or ethnic group over another?—Acts 10:34, 35; 17:26.

? Does it reflect “the spirit of the world,” which works in opposition to God’s holy spirit?—1 Corinthians 2:12; Ephesians 2:2.

? Could my participation in it be a cause for stumbling?—Romans 14:21.

? If I choose not to participate, how would I respectfully explain my reasons to others?—Romans 12:1, 2; Colossians 4:6."

Anniversaries do that just as much as birthdays do.

Okay, now here's an exceprt from the Watchtower. I couldn't BELIEVE this when i read it:

W92 9/1 p.30 in a Question From Readers: "Do Jehovah’s Witnesses avoid celebrating birthdays because the practice had some religious meaning in ancient times?"

Paragraph 2 of that article says: " Some customs that were once religious in nature no longer are in many places. For example, the wedding ring once had religious significance, but in most places today, it no longer does. Hence, many true Christians accept the local custom of wearing a wedding ring to give evidence that a person is married. In such matters, what generally is influential is whether a practice is now linked to false religion.—See “Questions From Readers” in TheWatchtower of January 15, 1972, and October 15, 1991."

Unbelievable! Since when have birthdays been signifigant in religion today? Why can't we share in toasts? Another article:

w07. 2/15 p.30 Questions from Readers:"The Bible does not mention toasting, so why do Jehovah’s Witnesses avoid sharing in toasts?"

Paragraph 5: " Granted, the fact that an object, a design, or a practice has roots or parallels in ancient false religion does not always rule such out for a true worshipper. Consider the pomegranate. A noted Bible encyclopedia reports: “The pomegranate seems also to have been used as a holy symbol in heathen religions.” Nevertheless, God had pomegranates made of thread put on the hem of the high priest’s garment, and pomegranates decorated the copper pillars of Solomon’s temple. (Exodus 28:33; 2 Kings 25:17) Moreover, the wedding ring at one time had religious significance. Yet, most people today do not know that, considering a wedding ring a mere evidence that someone is married. "

So why is it not okay to celebrate Valentine's Day or Thanksgiving Day or pretty much any other non-religious holiday? Most people don't realize the religious signifigance of those holidays? It's okay because people don't know the signifigance?

The more I look into this, the madder and madder I get that I've been fooled all of these years. Fortunately I'm only (based on life expectance) a quarter of my life in so I still have SOME life left to live.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit