District Convention in Hampton, Virginia

by garyneal 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• garyneal
    garyneal

The district convention of Jehovah's Witnesses is coming up in July at the Hampton Coliseum. So glad we actually live in the area for I would hate to have to shell out for hotel rooms and the like.

http://calendar.hampton.gov/details.asp?eventid=4916&CurDate=07/02/2010&Approval=&Calendar=coliseum&OpType=Display

http://www.bing.com/events/search?q=events near 23630&p1=[Events+source="vertical"+qzeventid="118488605"]&form=MSNLAP

Truth is, I found these links by accident as I was purusing the MSN web portal. I think they have the dates of the event off by a week though since my wife tells me that she is going the week after. We plan to be visiting relatives in our hometown the weekend of the convention as stated by these links so if they are correct, we will be missing this year's convention.

• James_Slash
    James_Slash

I bet you are devastated that you will miss it.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

are there alot of witnesses roaming around hampton roads knocking on doors, stopping people on the streets?

• undercover
    undercover
    are there alot of witnesses roaming around hampton roads knocking on doors, stopping people on the streets?

If you mean during the convention week, I doubt it. It's not like it used to be. Back in the day, you spent part of your convention week doing street work handing out handbills. People knew there was a JW convention because dubs were all over the place advertising the convention that was going on.

Now, only the restaurant and hotel people know there's a convention because the WTS has negotiated cheaper hotel rates and because the dubs are usually well dressed and don't tip well. They sneak into town, slink into the coliseum as unnoticed as possible and then slink back out, change clothes and go out to eat and then back to the hotel pool... all without ever mentioning that they're JWs or even showing a piece of literature, let alone trying to 'place' it.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Sounds like UC has nailed it. Frankly, since I was not too familiar with the witnesses prior to 2002 (when I met my wife) and since I came from a small town where no conventions were held, I don't remember any of the former ways UC speaks of. I do, however, know that when we go to an Assembly in Richmond, we never did anything beyond sit in boring meetings all freakin' day and then go out to eat afterwards and return to the hotel room. Before my wife started getting into it more, she and I use to cut out around lunch time and hang out around town or not go all three days.

• wasblind
    wasblind

hey garyneal, i used to go to the conventions in richmond va.

• wasblind
    wasblind

i was told when i first started going that it used to be a car dealership. you can tell big money when into it it.

• garyneal
    garyneal

wasblind,

Are you referring to the Assembly Hall in Richmond on Midlothian Turnpike? I can see that lot being a car lot at one point in time. It appears to be in a part of the city that was probably bustling with business at one point in times past but now looks somewhat abandoned. The nearby shopping mall is almost closed up.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Yea thats it!!!!!!!!!!!

• wasblind
    wasblind

we would have the one day and two day assemblies there.

is that a radio or tv station not to far from it on the other side of the road?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit