Things in the past that show you that your doubts started earlier than you thought

by sabastious 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

This is a great thread. When I think back on the matter, my first doubt occurred when I was 6 years old. I was in school (first grade) and one of my classmates had a birthday. His mom brought in cupcakes for the class. I told my teacher that I would need to be excused during the celebration.

The teacher asked me why (she knew I was a JW, so I was surprised she asked why). At that moment, I realized that I didn't have a good answer. My little mind was racing, thinking about the two birthdays in the Bible where people were executed, but it didn't seem logical that God didn't want me to have a cupcake just because 2 people were executed 1000s of years ago.

• designs
    designs

Isaac,

Yes we could, I gave a talk at a Catholic High School. Many schools had Comparative Religions classes or Social Studies classes and those were the ones we usually gave talks in. Some of the brothers would ask to give talks at some of the area Church's Bible Study classes or at venues like Calvary Chapel's school at the old Melodyland Theatre in Anaheim and Fullerton Theological Seminary.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Thanks Designs. When did this stop? Was it actually in print that this can no longer be done? I can not imagine it happening today.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Not too long after I was baptized I remember thinking heavily about Jesus being "a god" (John 1:1) and that their was only one true God. While golfing one day, I was questioning the pioneer brother, who had studied with me, about the subject and asked him ... if Jesus wasn't the true God, but was a god, and if there is only one true God, then wouldn't that make him a false god? ... he told me that I was thinking like an apostate so I shut up.

Before joining the JW's I hated the term "the Truth" and vowed not to use it ... unfortunately it became a part of my vocabulary

I too was disturbed that JW's did nothing to help people in need, I was scolded by a coworker about this about 15 years ago, I was very uncomfortable defending her with WT logic.

Since I was a "worldly person" myself up until the age of 20, It became harder for me as I got older to hear this term applied in such a negative way to all non-JW's, I never felt I was wicked and didn't feel comfortable with the blanket condemnation.

As well others of the many posted thoughts here.

It is something how all of the "shelved" thoughts come falling down after the awakening.

• designs
    designs

Isaac,

I don't recall something specifically being said or written about not giving talks at these venues, some brothers like Nelson Herley and even Greg Stafford, when he was a Witness, would actively seek debates and lectures.

But the late 60s were a transition time, all of the chips were on the table betting on 75. Some here may remember many of the Sunday talks and Assembly parts being on expecting persecution and how to hide or use disguise clothing.

geeez what a mind trip

• crazycate
    crazycate

Coffee Black: I'm so sorry about your father. When I found out that the organ transplant rule had changed, and I saw the blood policy changing, I also began having doubts. But I just shoved it to the back of my mind for awhile, until too many things began piling up there.

• Crisis of Conscience
  • Thor
    Thor

This is such a good post.

I agree with so much of what's been said. I definitely had my doubts with so much, but somehow reasoned things away. Amazing how hind sight is so clear, and at the time it was muddled.

The "Revelation" book irritated me each time we went through it. All the 1918 and 1919's spouted off, and how they made everything fit every little thing they did, crazy!

Mrs Thor

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I agree Thor. Reading people's experiences here often reminds me of things I heard and perhaps wondered about but quickly dismissed. And then there were others that clearly had no effect on me until now.

Now I think, how the heck did I miss all that? Good 'ole mental training!!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was about 16..

There was a Big Assembly in Vancouver BC..It made the News..

The TV News Announcer talked about the assembly and said JW`s believed the world would end soon..

Hearing it on the TV News was an Eye Opener..

It sounded Crazy..LOL!!..

I had to re-think what I believed..

........................... ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit