BLOOD

by nicolaou 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I posted this on another thread but thought it might be as well to stick it in the right forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BLOOD

REFERENCES

(EA) The Encyclopaedia Americana (International Edition) Volume 4 1981
    (NEB) The New Encyclopaedia Britannica 1998 Edition
    (ECT) Encyclopaedia of Chemical Technology Volume 4 Fourth Edition 1992
    (CE) Colliers Encyclopaedia Volume 4 1997 Edition
    (EE) Everyman’s Encyclopaedia Volume 2 Sixth Edition 1978

(Publications listed above are available from the Reference Section of most libraries.)

From the HEALTH-CARE ADVANCE DIRECTIVE:

(2) I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. On the basis of my firmly held religious convictions (see Acts 15:28,29) and on the basis of my desire to avoid the numerous hazards and complications of blood transfusions, I absolutely REFUSE allogenic blood (another persons blood); stored autologous blood (my own stored blood); the blood components red cells, white cells, platelets and blood plasma; and blood-derived haemoglobin preparations (human or animal) under any and all circumstances, no matter what the consequences. This refusal is not to be overridden by a purported consent of a spouse, relative or other person or body.

(3) With respect to minor blood fractions or blood products containing minor blood fractions, according to my conscience I ACCEPT: [Initial one of the three choices below.]

(a) NONE.
    (b) ALL.
    (c) SOME. That is, I ACCEPT: [initial choice(s) below]

Products that may have been processed with or contain small amounts of albumin (e.g., streptikonase, and some recombinant products [such as erythropoietin (EPO, epoetin-a) and synthesised clotting factors], and some radionuclide scan preparations may contain albumin).

Immunoglobulins (e.g., Rhesus immune globulin [Anti-D], gammaglobulin, horse serum, snake bite anti-venoms).

Clotting factors (e.g., fibrinogen, Factors VII, VIII, IX, XII).

Other:

White Cells (Leukocytes)

In the Awake! 22/10/1990 page 4 there is an illustration detailing 'The Main Components of Blood'.
    White Cells are noted as making up only 1/10th of 1 percent (0.1) of the volume of blood*.

Why isn't this classed as a minor fraction?

Also, The Encyclopaedia Americana (International Edition, 1981) states,

"white blood cells are capable of moving about independently and are not merely carried by the bloodstream. They can also move out of the bloodstream".

The New Encyclopaedia Britannica (1998 Edition) states that,

"Most of the leukocytes are outside the circulation, and the few in the bloodstream are in transit from one site to another".

This means that if a brother accepts an organ transplant (which is permitted), he will receive into his body many times more white cells than if he had them as a transfusion (which is not permitted).

Consider also that fractions like albumin have been deemed a matter of conscience on the consideration that such pass naturally from mother to child in the womb. However leukocytes also pass naturally from mother to child during breastfeeding, particularly in the first few days when colostrum is produced. On this matter, La Leche League International state,

"Colostrum also contains high concentrations of leukocytes, protective white cells which can destroy disease-causing bacteria and viruses".

The highly respected British Medical Association in their Complete Family Health Encyclopaedia state on page 291 under the heading 'COLOSTRUM',

"It has a high content of lymphocytes (white blood cells) and immunoglobulins, which help protect the baby from infection".

Why then are white cells not approved of by the Society for transfusion?

Platelets (Thrombocytes)

Again, NEB states,

"The blood platelets are the smallest cells of the blood, averaging two to four micrometres in diameter. Although much more numerous (150,000 - 400,000 per cubic millimetre) than the white cells, they occupy a much smaller fraction of the volume of the blood because of their relatively minute size".

EA puts platelet size smaller still at just "1 to 2 microns in diameter".

Why then aren't platelets classed as a minor fractions?

In the Questions from Readers article in the 10/1/94 issue of The Watchtower, the question raised was,

"Would it be proper to accept a vaccination or some other medical injection containing albumin derived from human blood"?

The first line of the response was, "Frankly, each Christian must personally decide on this". (The article then discussed the matter in detail and made the following observation,) "Currently a small amount of albumin is also used in injections of the synthetic hormone EPO (erythropoietin). Some Witnesses have accepted injections of EPO because it can hasten red blood cell production and so may relieve a physician of the feeling that a blood transfusion might be needed".

Why then are platelets prohibited?

The New Encyclopaedia Brittanica states that,

"The effect of the platelet response is to stop the bleeding and to form the site of the developing blood clot, or thrombus. If platelets are absent, this important defense reaction cannot occur, and protracted bleeding from small wounds (prolonged bleeding time) results".

Surely efficient clotting and reduced bleeding time would 'relieve a physician of a feeling that a transfusion might be needed'.

Blood Plasma

The Awake! article mentioned above states that,

"Plasma [makes up] about 55 percent of the blood. It is 92 percent water; the rest is made up of complex proteins, such as globulins [includes immunoglobulins], fibrinogens, and albumin".

NEB agrees with this and fills in some of the details. It states,

"The liquid portion of the blood, the plasma, is a complex solution containing more than 90 percent water. The water of the plasma is freely exchangeable with that of body cells and other extra cellular fluids and is available to maintain the normal state of hydration of all tissues. The major solute of plasma is a heterogeneous group of proteins constituting about 7 percent of the plasma by weight".

EA defines this portion of the plasma as 8 percent and states,

"The three principal plasma proteins are albumin, globulin and fibrinogen".

Whether 7 or 8 percent, this portion of the plasma (about 3.7 percent of the volume of blood), is comprised entirely of elements, which are approved of by the Society for transfusion.

The plasma is prohibited but its ingredients are approved!

TABLE 1. THE CONSTITUENTS OF PLASMA (in milligrams per 100 millilitres)
    (Taken from Colliers Encyclopaedia, Volume 4, 1997 page 263)

The chart below details every component contained within the water that makes up human plasma. Not ONE component is forbidden from use by the Society. Even the water is permitted as ‘saline’.

Sodium 310 - 340
    Potassium 14 - 20
    Calcium 9 - 11
    Phosphorus 3 - 4.5
    Chloride 350 - 375
    Glucose 60 - 100
    Urea 10 - 20
    Uric Acid 3 - 6
    Cholesterol 150 - 280

IF EVERY COMPONENT OF PLASMA CAN BE TAKEN WITHOUT SANCTION, WHY IS THE PLASMA ITSELF FORBIDDEN?

PLASMA PROTEINS 6000 – 8000

Albumin 3500 – 4500
    Globulin 1500 – 3000
    Fibrinogen 200 – 600
    Carbon Dioxide 55 – 65

(Volume in millilitres, corrected for temperature and pressure, per 100 millilitres plasma)

Storage

In respect of albumin and immunoglobulins, very many litres of stored blood are needed to produce the small amounts of approved products. For example, to produce enough globulin for a single vaccination jab almost 3 litres of stored blood are needed. (See Encyclopaedia of Chemical Technology, Volume 4, Fourth Edition 1992)
    This is more blood than a patient would normally get from a transfusion and remember that the globulins have been taken from FFP (fresh frozen plasma), which is stored blood.

The Society has also approved Factors VIII and IX.
    But to produce enough of these products to keep just one haemophiliac alive would mean taking components from thousands of litres of stored blood.

How do we reconcile this? Why is it that we are allowed to make use of the stored blood of an anonymous donor, but aren't allowed to use our own stored blood?

If we can make use of stored donated blood in this way, why, as stated in the ‘Advance Medical Directive’, are we required to "absolutely REFUSE-stored autologous blood"?

It has been noted by the Society with respect to albumin, that as Jehovah's creation allows for this component to pass naturally from mother to child, it could be considered appropriate to duplicate this transfer via an injection or other means for medical purposes.
    What of Jehovah's creation with respect to blood and its storage outside of the circulatory system?
    Please note the following quote from 'Biology, a Functional Approach' 4th Edition 1998 page 208,

"(11) Storing blood. The veins in the liver have great powers of expansion and contraction, to such an extent that the total volume of blood in the liver can vary from 300 cm3 to 1500 cm3. This enables the liver to serve as a blood reservoir. Along with the spleen, it can regulate the amount of blood in the general circulation".

If Jehovah's creation allows for the removal and storage of blood outside of the circulatory system could it not be considered appropriate to duplicate this for medical purposes?

Notes:
    The Society may be mistaken in assigning to white cells such a low value for volume (0.1%).

Colliers Encyclopaedia, Volume 4, 1997 Edition, states that white cells "make up 0.5 to 1.0 percent of total blood volume".

Compton's Interactive Encyclopaedia 1997 Edition, states; "There are far fewer white cells, or leukocytes, than there are red cells. In the bloodstream there is approximately only one white cell for every 700 red cells".

NEB states that white cells and platelets together constitute "less than one percent of the volume of blood".

Even at 1 percent, this is still a smaller amount than both of the permitted fractions, albumin and globulins. (EA page 91)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone's interested, you can download the above in Word format here: . http://www.msnusers.com/altJehovahsWitnesses/msgattachments/8 but I think you may need to log in first.

If that link doesn't work just go to . http://communities.msn.co.uk/altJehovahsWitnesses and look for the 'Blood Brochure' thread.

Nic'

http://www.do-not-call.org

• Celia
    Celia

There is so much info. now available concerning the hypocrisy of the blood ban by JWs, but this information needs to be made known to JWs themselves and anybody who has family in this dangerous sect.
    This is a great article, condensed, clear.
    I will keep it and print it and use it if JWs ever visit me again.
    btw, the link does not work.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Sorry about the link Celia.
    If you (or anyone else) would like to receive the article as a Word attachment just send me an email.

Nic'

• library boy
    library boy

There's obviously a strong ISoCF (ch9) influence here but what's wrong with that!
    Well put together with good referencing but is it all still valid? What about the new position emerging on Hemopure?
    I wouldn't mind Lee Elder's comments on this one.

lb

• hawkaw
    hawkaw
    Why then are white cells not approved of by the Society for transfusion?

hehehe

Please refer to the following:

Article Title: Clinical and ethical issues in the treatment of a Jehovah's Witness with acute myeloblastic leukemia.

Article Source: Arch Intern Med 1997 Aug 11-25;157(15):1753-7

Author(s): Kerridge I; Lowe M; Seldon M; Enno A; Deveridge S

Abstract: We report the first documented case of the use of peripheral blood stem cell autografting in the treatment of a Jehovah's Witness with acute myeloblastic leukemia. This case illustrates the complex ethical and clinical issues that arise in the treatment of such patients.

Author's Address: Health Law and Ethics Program, University of Newcastle, Australia.

Here is what Dr. Sam Muramoto and Lee Elder had to say about it:

Now, in terms of JW doctrine, this is another interesting contradiction, because the white blood cells used in this treatment are collected with leukapheresis (a machine to selectively collect white blood cells from the donor's blood) and deposited and then reinfused to the patient later. This is exactly the same procedure as white blood cell transfusion which is prohibited in the current blood doctrine. The only difference is that the name of the procedure is called "autografting", which sounds more like transplants than transfusion, and the setting of leukapheresis is for CD34+, rather than usual granulocyte.
    Try and explainoooo this one WTS.

hawk

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Good one Hawk!

I wonder if the WT response to this

the white blood cells used in this treatment are collected with leukapheresis (a machine to selectively collect white blood cells from the donor's blood) and deposited and then reinfused to the patient later.
    might be that the procedure is essentially 'cell salvage'.

Could they claim that the 'later' is in fact just a latter stage in the procedure and as such can thus be considered as part of a 'continuous procedure'?

We all know what their tortuous reasoning can be like!

Nic'

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

If I can't use whole blood as in transfusions, but can use blood fractions and not violate the societies blood ban, then why can't I have sex outside of marriage as long as I use a condom and no fluids are exchanged or there is no direct tissue contact? The reasoning seems sound to me in either case.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son." Dean Vernon Wormer, Faber College

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

For more information try
    http://www.ajwrb.org
    It's a underground movement of JWs for reform on the blood ban.
    I am sorry they are still JW but at least they are learning some truth and they have good research articles on it.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw
    If I can't use whole blood as in transfusions, but can use blood fractions and not violate the societies blood ban, then why can't I have sex outside of marriage as long as I use a condom and no fluids are exchanged or there is no direct tissue contact? The reasoning seems sound to me in either case.

Respectfully you as a Jehovah's Witness, conscience permitting just like organ transplants can have whole blood transfusions using the following techniques that keep a tube connection from the machine to your body (directly quoted from AJWRB):

Intraoperative Autotransfusion

Through the use of a piece of equipment specifically designed for this purpose, (usually called a "Blood Salvage Machine" or "Cell Saver") blood seeping into the surgical field can be suctioned off and processed. The red cells are separated and "washed" so that the heparin, fat, and free hemoglobin are removed. These washed red blood cells are then transfused back into the patient. This procedure is permitted to Witnesses as their conscience allows.

Isovolemic Hemodilution

In this process 3 to 4 units of the patient's blood is removed and replaced with a plasma expander before surgery then transfused back after surgery as needed. Since this process reduces the total number of red cells in the body, the blood that is actually lost during surgery is "diluted." The net result is a significant increase in the amount of allowable surgical blood loss. This in turn can diminish or even obviate any need for allogeneic transfusion of red cells. This procedure is permitted to Witnesses as their conscience allows.

It should be noted that at least one half of the transfusion types listed at http://www.ajwrb.org are allowed. What then does it mean to abstain from blood? There is not and cannot be a straightforward answer to this question. In light of the information just presented, it can be seen that it is not so much a question of abstaining from blood as it is a question of what components of blood must a Witness abstain from and why. Why are Witnesses permitted some blood transfusions and not others? (from AJWRB)

hawk

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

"the blood components red cells, white cells, platelets and blood plasma; and blood-derived haemoglobin preparations (human or animal) under any and all circumstances, no matter what the consequences"
    What! no HemaPure????? (derived from cow hemoglobin)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit