Do you think you have an accent?

by highdose 32 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

Highdose you ain't that bloody posh ! I knows where you was borned.

My wife used to maintain that everybody else spoke with an accent , ours was just correct, she also used to say of someone with what is described as a "cut glass" English accent, "they aren't born talking like that " implying they had taken lessons in how to talk like our dear Queen.

She now recognizes that we have one of the Kentish accents.

I find regional accents fascinating, and regional expressions and idioms, we have become so cosmopolitan now that many accents, and languages and dialects are heard on our High Streets, viva la difference !

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I disagree with the statement that 'everyone has an accent'. There are some folks that do not really have 'accents'. Listen to the evening news folks. Very rarely do they have accents that are discernable.

I love accents. I am able sometimes to determine location, but not always. Gals from Austin & Georgetown area (Texas) have an accent, somewhat similar to a Southern accent. Cute sounding.

I learned that Australian, English & Canadian accents, while similar are very different.

Me? I don't have an accent, and have been told so by others. However, being from Texas, we are thought to have a Texan drawl (according to the movies, right?), so I can give a pretty good John Wayne impersonation (...wellllll get the wagons in a circle...).

I will tend to use the accent at times when out and about.

With folks moving about these days, accents kinda get blurred and/or disappear.

Regards,

Jim TX

• highdose
    highdose

sorry wobble, i'm not a born kent gal;) and yeah i had the sh*t bullied out of me at school 1) for being a JW 2) for having a posh accent

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Yep - sure do, but thankfully it's not too broad!

• snowbird
    snowbird

I have a Southern Negro accent.

Syl

• blondie
    blondie

Jim_Tx, of course we all have an accent, just not that accent of the person or area that hears us. I come from an area that media people imitate to have "no accent" but when I travel out west, they think I have one, when I go to Georgia, they ask where I'm from and I have a strange accent, I have even had people tell me I sound like the people on TV, but I still have an accent.

• cofty
    cofty

Think Rab C. Nesbitt but not as posh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7VoFiagfs

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

Yes, I have an accent. I'm from the Midwest. When I lived in Connecticut, they said I sounded like a cowboy. I think they meant cowgirl. People from the South think that I talk too proper.

Some New Englanders, I could barely understand because their accents were so thick to me. I think that they drop the "K's". . . whatever?

• garyneal
    garyneal

Unfortunately, I have a deep southern accent because I come from a small town in Virginia.

• tec
    tec

I agree that everyone has an accent, according to the country they live in. I have an accent on top of that, because I'm from eastern Canada. It's slight, but it shows up in some words.

(I don't notice it myself, but others do)

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit