Problems with Soccer (Football) from an American Standpoint

by RubaDub 51 Replies latest social physical

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

soccer rules are 98% good.

they need:

1: instant replay (only 2-3 allowed per team).

2: offsides should not apply inside the box.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

DaCheech, and I'd add time-out for injured players and goals.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

....and instant replay should be allowed for all questionable goals.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

Did you see the *off-side* goal that Argentina made against Mexico?

Argentina and Mexico gets into a brawl at half-time! They're pissed!

• dgp
    dgp

Though the Mexicans had no chance at all against Argentina, I agree with Ms. Ducky; that wasn't a goal at all. You can claim you don't see where the ball lands, but you can't claim you don't see a man, and precisely the man who "scores". And then, being the game as closed as it was, you can't claim that goal didn't influence the result in the long run.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    soccer rules are 98% good:
    2: offsides should not apply inside the box

DaCheech

I still stand by my contention that the Off-Sides rule is one of the most stupid rules I can think of. I cannot think of another sport where if the defense makes an error, falls down or is out of position, that the offense is penalized.

It just makes no logical sense.

I'm running every major sport I can think of through my mind (American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, NASCAR, Formula 1, Cricket, Rugby, Tennis, Golf, Poker, Darts, Horseshoes, Dancing with the Stars or anything else ... lol). I can't think of one in which you have to "wait" for the defense to be in postion.

In my mind, it's a joke.

Rub a Dub

• dgp
    dgp

The idea with the off-side rule is that "defensive" teams, like, say, Italy, will not simply have a striker somewhere near the goalkeeper, and will manage to score a goal with one single kick. With the poor performance of many teams in this world cup, the rule somehow makes sense. North Korea didn't have much quality, to say the least, but they managed to hold Brazil back. When they played, instead of just defending themselves, you see they took seven goals.

I have to say that I agree that the off-side rule it is often very stupid and more often than not is used to punish the team that DOES attack, instead of just waiting for a chance for a counterstrike. Sometimes it even backfires: a goal isn't scored because the striker was, say, half an arm ahead.

And then see what happens when the rule is ignored, as in Argentina vs. Mexico.

• undercover
    undercover

The best way to fix soccer:

Make the goal smaller, make the pitch smaller, then flood it and freeze it, replace the ball with a frozen slab of vulcanized rubber, and give the players sticks to pass it around with... and let the players fight, instead of play-faking injuries.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I agree with the comment about basketball. As far as I'm concerned you could get the same results by starting both teams with 100 points and playing for five minutes.

More and more people are picking up on soccer in this country. Seattle is crazy for it, but I'm going to stick to baseball and (American) football because I don't feel like trying to pick up the nuances of a new sport.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Diving. I'd love to see this in hockey, and the endless ridicule the guy would bear for the rest of his natural life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit