I Know Good "Christians" Who Are Not "Good" JWs

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Minimus..

A wealthy JW can constantly be in shit,just for having money..

Some wealthy JW`s manage to avoid all that..

Why?..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• minimus
    minimus

You tell me.

I know of wealthy guys that gave money to elders and COs and were still df'd. I've seen it many times over the years.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Would you like to tell me about my life?..

My apologies if I jumped to conclusions.

Your assumption that JWs with money have an easier time in the congregation indicates to me that you haven't experienced it because the exact opposite is true. As to your personal circumstances, I couldn't care less.

5th

undercover. Your observations are bang on. I used to get counseled for as stupid a thing as wearing too expensive suits for crying out loud.

• undercover
    undercover
    You say a smart JW with money can get away with a lot more than a poor JW. I can't speak about your experiences but I can say your generalization is not correct from an ex-elder's point of view.

I'm assuming you mean me...

I'm not saying money bought them out of anything. I'm saying that JWs with money seemed to be more tight-lipped about their business than others. They didn't run to elders, they didn't rely on elders, they didn't need support, spiritual, social or otherwise, from the congregation.

They were members, but aside from the requirements of being a JW, they really weren't part of the social make-up of the congregation. It was like they preferred to be on the fringe. More freedom.

This is an observation of a lot of people in several congregations over the years and does not reflect on all dubs with money, but enough that it left this impression. There were the opposite. Obnoxious, bragging, and snobbish - but they were few and far between, compared to the quiet, go-about-their-business types.

Even though I didn't have money, I was the tight-lipped kind. I minded my own business, didn't seek elders viewpoints or need their input and because of that I got away with more than I probably would have had I been more transparent about my actions and attitudes.

• minimus
    minimus

Having money is not the criteria as to whether someone might get into congregational trouble of one sort or another.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

they really weren't part of the social make-up of the congregation

A lot of well off JWs feel unwelcome in the regular social make-up because of the criticism they draw from having unrighteous riches.

That being said, I actually never hung around other JWs with money because I hate the snob factor of a lot of people with money. JW or not.

5th

• undercover
    undercover
    Having money is not the criteria as to whether someone might get into congregational trouble of one sort or another.

I agree for the most part.

But depending on the elder body, it can sway opinions. Some elders may be more apt to punish a more well-to-do dub, send a message if you will, just because they're jealous or something. Other elders may turn a blind eye to certain things because the dub in question has been their benefactor in the past.

There's no way to tell which way a particular elder body will go.

Of course this is true of about anyone, money or not. Some people just rub some elders the wrong way and as soon as they're in trouble, that particular elder looks to make an example out of them or exacts revenge. Then other people are more likeable or kiss ass more and elders may tend to let them slide through with less trouble than someone else they like less yet committed the same transgression.

• undercover
    undercover
    A lot of well off JWs feel unwelcome in the regular social make-up because of the criticism they draw from having unrighteous riches.

I can see that. And I saw that many others in the congregation saw them as snobbish, because they felt that the well off JWs didn't go too much out of their way to fit in (of course - how far did the congregation go to try to welcome them?)

I think the WTS set up this distrust by setting up riches and materialism as evil and worldly. So those fortunate enough to have it have to tippy toe around and the rest of the congregation is just looking for an excuse to distrust and dislike them, all the while secretly envying them.

So much for "worldwide brotherhood", huh?

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

have to tippy toe around

Exactly, that's how I've felt my whole life.

• minimus
    minimus

I still love poor people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit