Did the WT totally "luck out" with World War I starting in 1914?

by lepermessiah 66 Replies latest jw friends

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

The "beginning" and "end" of wars is construct conceived by historians to organize data. I had a professor in college who insisted that the World War I and World War II were not separate wars but one continuous war with a prolonged cease fire. It's pointless to argue about when the conflict we now refer to as "World War I" actually began. There is no right or wrong answer. There might be a consensus among historians, but no "true" date you can discover.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

JT, forget it!

Who are you, BTW?

Are you Jehovah's Witness?

It didn't think you could provide the information, because you are NOT a historian, except in your own head! And who the h#ll are you?! Are you off your medication Titus?

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_Wars

Balkan Wars led into the conflict known as World War I.

Syl

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    NO, THEY DID NOT "luck out" because what they predicted was the "END OF THE WORLD IN 1914" NOT WORLD WAR 1".

True. But the fact that a war did break out that year enabled them to convince the flock that the year had meaning. Hence, they weren't wrong about the prohecy, just it's interpretation. It would certainly have been worse for them if nothing happened at all.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I had a professor in college who insisted that the World War I and World War II were not separate wars but one continuous war with a prolonged cease fire. It's pointless to argue about when the conflict we now refer to as "World War I" actually began. There is no right or wrong answer. There might be a consensus among historians, but no "true" date you can discover.

I think the key point of your statement is that you had "a" professor in college who argued for one continuous war. But, did he argue for that, or did he/she say that one can make an argument that it was one continuous war. The distinction is critical.

And consensus IS important, because it allows us to stipulate to a fact, which then enables us to move forward with other conclusions. For example, if you are speaking with a JW and start arguing Titus' 1912 date, you will certainly acheive nothing, because they will simply dismiss your argument as not based in any historical reality.

• undercover
    undercover

Titus, you're talking about the First and Second Balkan wars. The first Balkan War was from October 1912 to May 1913. The after affects of it rolled into the Second Balkan war which ultimately led to the Great War.

I can see where people who lived in the area or were affected by it can pretty much see all of it as one continuous war because to those that lived through it, it pretty much was. The name of the war didn't matter.

But as far as historians go, they seperate the First Balkan war from the Second Balkan war and then the actual Great War (WWI).

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Balkan Wars led into the conflict known as World War I.

Yep...explained in detail in most college level history books...right before they talk about the beginning of WW1 in 1914. :)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WW1

The assassination on 28 June 1914 of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary, is seen as the immediate trigger of the war, though long-term causes, such as imperialistic foreign policies of the great powers of Europe such as the German Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Ottoman Empire, the Russian Empire, the British Empire, France, and Italy played a major role. Ferdinand's assassination at the hands of a Yugoslav nationalist resulted in Habsburg ultimatum against the Kingdom of Serbia. [ 6 ] [ 7 ] Several alliances that had been formed over the past decades were invoked, so within weeks the major powers were at war; as all had colonies, the conflict soon spread around the world...

• Titus
    Titus

You see - Sylvia brings the facts here. NEJ and UC, also bring some interesting points.

Of course I am not a historian. That was a joke. Most posters here know who I am.

And I don't want to talk with you anymore, because of that word "medication". I don't want to insult you, and say that you are insane, but I don't want to waste my time on conversation with you. You had a chance to learn something. Now you will remain misinformed as you were before.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The whole notion that people were unaware of what was leading up the WW1 is quite incorrect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit