Did the WT totally "luck out" with World War I starting in 1914?

by lepermessiah 66 Replies latest jw friends

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

1799, 1874, 1914, 1919, 1925...if you keep attaching great significance to a bunch of years, eventually SOMETHING is going to happen to make it seem you were right.

Imagine the WT had predicted Armageddon would come in 2001. As a result, the faithful today praise their leaders for predicting 9/11 despite the fact that the original prediction called for the end of the world, not a catastrophic terrorist attack. That's in essence what happened with 1914.

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/duke.htm

The WT often references this event, Titus.

What's the difference in Yugoslavia, Bosnia-Herzogovina, Serbia, and Croatia?

Syl

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

War in Europe had been feared since before the turn of the century.

Undercover makes a valid point. JWs write that war was unexpected and cherry-pick historical quotes regarding those who were hoping to create a Utopian society. They do this to try to bolster the concept that war was unexpected>therefore God must have caused it>therefore JWs must have had divine, special, advance knowledge.

However, war WAS expected. That is why European countries were furiously entering into mutual aid agreements with each other, and those multiple agreements are what pulled the world into war. Country A was attacked by Country Z. Country B had an agreement to support Country A, so they declare war on Z. Country Y has an agreement to support Country Z. When Country B declares war on Z as a result of its attack on A, Country Y has to get involved..etc...etc...

JWs do not quite know HOW to respond when I explain this to them and they discover that the WHOLE WORLD was expecting, and actively preparing, for war.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

What made WW1 so more than ANY other of the wars?

The Napleonic wars were horrific also, the dark ages were even worse, the Black Plague was no picnic, WW2 had the highest death toll AND the Atomic bomb, to name just a few things.

• Titus
    Titus

Decades before that, the war was prepared.

They say it happened suddenly, that Devil caused it in very short period of time during the 1914.

Not true.

There was not a long period of peace before 1914. The World War actually began in 1912. Check it out! It is historical fact!

Has "American Governing Body" ever mentioned the Balkan Wars? Please, can somebody find it in literature?

Read about that here, please: BALKAN WARS.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

What made it special? Consider its name: World War 1. It was the first time all the major powers were simultaneously at war.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

JWs do not quite know HOW to respond when I explain this to them and they discover that the WHOLE WORLD was expecting war.

Exactly - the situation in Europe had been getting worse and worse prior to this.

If the average Witness would do just a little bit of homework, they would realize that WWI was inevitable in many ways.

Like UC mentioned, the USA didnt get involved until very late in the game.

The WT also likes to graphically mention all of the "technology" that debuted in WWI - failing to mention that it had been around for years before.They make it sound like all of a sudden in 1914, these new mammoth, destructive weapons appeared. ..........

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The World War actually began in 1912

Historians agree that WW1 "officially" began in 1914.

• Titus
    Titus

I don't know if the 1914 doctrine and theology is right or wrong.

But I know that the "American Governing Body" doesn't know historicals facts.

Or misrepresnts them...

• snowbird
    snowbird

There was a group that prophesied that the "seven times" of Leviticus 26:18 would end in 1912!

I can't recall who they were.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit