The Origin of Life / Was Life Created - Utter Lies!

by God_Delusion 67 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Caedes
    Caedes

Sir82, Good point, especially when you consider that the mechanism of evolution is understood a lot better than that of gravity.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Caedes,

Just as YOU view Fundmentalists as extreme and they don't view themselves as such, nor do their supporters, I understand how YOU don't see Dawkins and others as extermisstes, and that's fine.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    Just as YOU view Fundmentalists as extreme and they don't view themselves as such, nor do their supporters, I understand how YOU don't see Dawkins and others as extermisstes, and that's fine.

Since your memory is extremely short I will remind you of what I actually said on page 1 of this thread;

Even if you could describe Dawkins with any of those words, and I disagree that you could, it doesn't establish him as an extremist. Any more than a belligerent christian should be labelled as being an extremist just for being arrogant.

So the point I am making is that being rude doesn't make you an extremist no matter which side of the fence you sit.

By the way, you still haven't actually come up with anything that could be described as extremism on the part of Dawkins. I wonder why?

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

With reference to the above exchange, doesn't it go a bit off topic? A lot of Christians accept the scientific explanations for the origins of life. Why should the debate degrade into discussing the beliefs and personalities of so-called authorities? As far as I know, Hitchens and Dawkins aren't the topic of this thread. Keep the focus on the g-d d-mn lying Watchtower! Evolution and the origin of life have to do with Science, not questions about theism. The Watchtower loves for people to conflate the two issues because it makes their job easier.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Since your memory is extremely short I will remind you of what I actually said on page 1 of this thread;

My memory is actually very good but I appreciate that oh so subtle attempt at whatever that was :)

My point is that YOU saying they aren't extermist doesn't make them NOT SEEM like to those they "attack".

Dawkins and Hutchins believe, and I hope I get this right, that religion and God are the cause of almost, if not all, that is worng with society, that people that beleive in God are delisioned and not very smart at all.

That doesn't seem like an extreme POV to you?

If it doesn't then fine, I can respect that and we will leave it at that.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Keep the focus on the g-d d-mn lying Watchtower! Evolution and the origin of life have to do with Science, not questions about theism. The Watchtower loves for people to conflate the two issues because it makes their job easier.

You are right, sorry, I was just trying to make the point that certain personalities make the WT job "easier", just like certain tpes of religious extremissim make the atheists "job" easier.

• changeling
    changeling

So... the WT is still using the "evolution is just a theory" line? Seems they have yet to learn (or admit) that the term "theory" in a scientific context is very different from how it is used in every day speech.

In science, a theory is the result of extensive experimentation, study, and testing of a hypothesis. This all takes a long time (usually many, many years). IF, at the end of these many years, the results of this thorough experimentation support the original hypothesis and IF no other investigated hypothesis challenges the research, then, and only then, the hypothesis becomes "theory".

If after many more years and further experimentation, study, and testing the theory is STILL unchallenged, it will be come a "law" of science.

My anthropology professor, shared with our class last year, that the scientific community expects evolution to become "law" within our lifetime, possibly in the next ten years.

It will be interesting to see what the WT and other dark age thinkers will say when this happens. :)

• Caedes
    Caedes
    I appreciate that oh so subtle attempt at whatever that was

No problem, I appreciate the little side step to avoid admitting that you where completely misrepresenting what I had said.

My point is that YOU saying they aren't extermist doesn't make them NOT SEEM like to those they "attack".

Nice to see that you are now trying to avoid the point that it is you that is making completely un-substantiated claims of extremism towards a respected professor. It is you that claimed that Dawkins was an extremist, I merely asked for evidence of this supposed extremism.

Dawkins and Hutchins believe, and I hope I get this right, that religion and God are the cause of almost, if not all, that is worng with society, that people that beleive in God are delisioned and not very smart at all
    That doesn't seem like an extreme POV to you?

No, you haven't got it right and you still haven't given even one quote of these supposedly extremist views.

Dawkin is an intelligent man who I'm sure understands that religion is only responsible for some of the ills of society. Yes, he thinks that religion deceives people (deluded ~ to be deceived) how dreadful! I'm sure he knows a much longer list of smart theists than you or I know.

I don't think that Dawkins is an extremist, but I do think your ridiculous misrepresentation of his views and complete inability to back up your claims say a lot more about you than Dawkins.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    My anthropology professor, shared with our class last year, that the scientific community expects evolution to become "law" within our lifetime, possibly in the next ten years.

A scientific "law" applies to physics, not biology. A scientific law differs from a scientific theory in that it does not posit a mechanism or explanation of phenomena: it is merely a distillation of the results of repeated observation. Example: the law of gravity (which is in fact more a "force" than a "law"), still lacks consensus on its nature - it lacks a theory.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses claim all the evidence for evolution fits on a billiard table.

I claim all the evidence fits on a billiard table, and would leave room to play the game properly.

I would say that there is reasonable evidence for evolution. And scientists are always finding new fossil records that fill in the missing pieces. As the earth has suffered numerous cataclysms (some of them local, but that's all it takes to destroy fossils of life that had limited range), I would expect quite a few missing pieces. As it is, it's a wonder that scientists have been able to figure out as much as they did by persistent hunting for fossil records and diligent work in arranging them.

Which is more than can be said for supporting creation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit