Do You Know any JW's Who Saw Avatar?

by sammielee24 20 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yes! In fact almost all at work and loads in the congregation including the elders.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Honey, I barely even know any JWs anymore, except a few family members who bother to drop me an occasional line..and most of them are pretty much inactive.

They're scarcer than hen's teeth around here in this tiny little place we moved to. Thank GOD for that.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

My parents (even older than me!) thought it was great.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

It took some doing, but I talked my wife into seeing it with me at the movie theater. She was concerned about avatars being gods or something like the angels that took human form to do it with the human women. She enjoyed the movie.

An elder working with my daughters in service after my wife and I saw the movie made the comment that any servant of Jehovah who knew what an avatar was would have no excuse for seeing it.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I know quite a few JW's that saw it and liked it. Shortly after that, the emails started circulating about JW's should not see it. My wife and I laughed (i was still active then) and remarked what BS the email was.

-mentallyfree31-

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Yes, but the JW"s I still talk to are not very "good JW's". They loved it! I loved it! NMKA

• EmergedAsMe
    EmergedAsMe

I saw it 3 times, two of those times with groups of JWs. Loved it.

However we had some sisters visiting from another area, and when invited to join us and some local JWs to see Avatar they went into major judgment mode. They pulled some faces and said something along the lines of "Oh, we know what thats about...". So we just dropped them back home and went and saw it (it was the second time for us, so we knew what it was about and thought it was funny that they were knocking something they actually hadn't seen). Then my parents who are from the part of the country that these two sisters are from told me that Avatar was big on the "no-no disapproved" movies. Apparently this judgment never made it to my part of the country in time, so elders, ms, pioneers etc all enjoyed it blissfully ignorant of the judgments happening elsewhere. (And I neglected to pass the judgment on...it was within Avatar being screened that I left for good, so quite recent. The judgment of something I saw no harm in, and a personal choice was yet another straw...)

• four candles
    four candles

Why are witnesses judging this film?? I've never seen it,just didn't appeal to me,but what is the problem,supposedly,with it???

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Pretty much every Dub I know (aside from the older ones who can't afford movies) saw Avatar.

The Borg is entirely reactionary but they operate on a delayed schedule. Just as they didn't come out against Facebook until half the rank and file were already on it, they didn't come out against Avatar until most of the people who were going to see it already had seen it.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Many that saw Avatar, many that saw the Twilight movies, many that read the books on those movies; many that see whatever movie looks good, regardless of the rating. I happen to be one of them.

Hey, life's too short to be minding the small stuff.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit