Do You Know any JW's Who Saw Avatar?

by sammielee24 20 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Just curious. I know there was some issue amongst some religious orgs about their flock going to see this movie so I just wondered if anyone knows of a JW who did go and see it.

sammieswife

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Yes. I know an elder that saw it and enjoyed it.

• Titus
    Titus

My whole congregation.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Yes, I know a lot of Witnesses that saw it and really enjoyed it. One pioneer couple I know, bought the DVD when it came out on video

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Great! Thanks so much! I'm trying not to rock any boats around the family....it was a great movie I thought!

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

I just asked my JW father-in-law if he had seen Avatar and he commented on having seen it but he thought the language was terrible. At first I thought he meant the native nav'i language, but he said 'no I mean the cursing'. I must be getting quite a tin ear, because to be honest I don't really recall that much cursing in the movie? Were there a bunch of 'F' bombs I missed?

• undercover
    undercover

Yea, I know a few. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue in this area...

But then, the movie, while a hit, didn't take the nation by storm like Star Wars or ET. Once a movie becomes such a phenomenal hit that it becomes iconic, the WTS seems to pay more attention to villifying it.

I remember Jaws was a big, big, hit and even though there was no demons or sorcery or druids or ancient hokey religions or aliens with resurrection powers, the sheer terror (at the time) of the movie led to some counsel about not going to see it.

• blondie
    blondie

At least 10 "s" words, 1 slang term using male genitals ("d*ck"), 5 hells, 4 asses, 4 damns, 3 craps, 1 S.O.B., 7 uses of "G-damn," 2 of "Jesus" and 1 use each of "For Christ's sakes," "My God," "Oh God" and Oh my God."

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Sounds coming from the sex act are the same in many readings, so we can't see or read that stuff because of the language.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Yeah, I do. They told my wife and I that it was a great movie. My wife turned it off due to one scene where tree-worship is happening, and later condemned me for watching that scene and the rest of the movie. Nice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit