Can I ask elders a question without getting in trouble?

by NiceDream 26 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Personally, I would never question the three dates that are the foundation for the current JW teachings ....

607: beginning of the Gentile Times

1914: end of the Gentile Times

1922: the horn blowing thing in Cedar Point Ohio

Rub a Dub

• rnicole76
    rnicole76

I wouldn't ask them a question. If i had a question, i would look it up. I had a question about the watchtower's history. I know not even my mother knows so i look it up. You won't get them to think by asking them a question. They will say look in the watchtower or quote what it says. Nothing comes from their free thinking but the watchtower.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

NiceDream,

Better to take your time on things. JWs react quite harshly to anything they sense is critical.

I was lucky, because in my case my wife turned out to be a very weak JW (little did I know!). As soon as she realized that she could express her doubts freely, they came out nonstop. She simply needed an open environment where questions were allowed to be asked.

One great thing that worked for me was open ended complaining. Little by little I would put complaints out there and see if they stuck. I never complained about doctrine, it was all about practice. Talking about the lack of community at the hall, how the "local needs" didn't really focus on local needs, how Elders talked big about things like field service but never showed up. We complained about going to meetings, how long they were, and how out of touch the Elders seemed. We also talked about all the people we felt were being treated poorly by the "in" crowd. I remember this went on for a period of months, usually after we came home from meetings.

I really believe this helped my wife begin to express her dissatisfaction with the group as a whole.

Good luck!

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

NiceDream, what is your motivation for wanting to ask the elders questions to which you already know the answers? Perhaps it's a subconscious desire to start actioning your exit?

Please be very careful. I think you're right not to want to put the pressure of a DF'ing on your husband and in-laws, so plan carefully. Watch out for two elders trying to catch you saying you no longer believe it's "the truth", or that you don't believe the "slave" is Jehovah's channel, or something like that. Sometimes when your personal conduct is impeccable then their last resort is to nab you for apostasy in this sneaky sly way.

If I were you I would have a blanket policy of "I don't talk about my personal beliefs with anyone - it's between me and Jehovah" - and apply this to your in-laws and the elders. Then just stop going. Good luck on your path to freedom!

• BANE
    BANE

Quillsky, HOW is it a sneaky sly way? By asking a straight forward question of DO you think this is Jehovah´s organization anymore? I have Elders who are my best friends. You paint them with a very bad brush. You should be ashamed for that!

However the bible says you talk about your personal beliefs. So having a blanket policy SHOULD be that.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

More fairytales to tell bane?

• inbetween
    inbetween

it depends on the elder, I would say.

I remember, years ago, when I still was fully in, a publisher asked about 1914, not the 607vs587 thing, but why we say, that the whole prophecy of Daniel has a further fulfillment, besides the 7 years for a gentile King.

I looked up information, and found out, that it is not really convincing. even to me. Still I tried to explain it to him. He confessed, that I did not fully succeed, anyway, I left it alone, never hunted him for that. secretely, I agreed with him, even though 1914 still was a sure thing for me at that time.

Now I know, he was on the right track, my arguments, (based on WTS literature) were really weak.

What i want to say, if you proceed carefully, and not dogmatic, maybe you can get even an elder to think. But it really depends on the elder, of course...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit