Do You ENJOY The Holidays & Birthdays Now That You Can Celebrate Them?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Whether it be Father's Day, Mother's Day, Christmas or even a birthday, do you actually enjoy the celebrations, the spending of $$, and all that these festivities entail?

Or would you rather be a JW (just) for those times and not deal with it all?

• Humanist
    Humanist

I absolutely love them! Always said that I wouldn't bother if I were to ever leave the JWs, but when I did leave I immersed myself in everything I could celebrate. I just use them as a reason to have fun and celebrate my life and freedom to choose. Luckily, my husband and kids all left with me, so it was great to have our first Christmas, birthdays etc. as a family.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

I enjoy it now. I don't care so much about the festivities and money parts but being able to spend time with family and friends when they have the time off from work instead of having to come up with lame excuses because "I know what it's really all about" is pretty nice.

• minimus
    minimus

nobody gives a damn about Father's Day.

• minimus
    minimus

We get overlooked but the mom's always get their due......Actually, my daughter tends to forget my birthday (which is the day before my granddaughter's) and tries to make up for it a couple of weeks later on Father's Day.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I love it! All of it! Even Father's day...my dad is not a JW so I really look forward to it and so does he since I'm the only kid to now acknowledge it. Think my mom is a little jealous...LOL.

My JW sister, who knows I'm living life, confided in me that she wants to celebrate her birthday at least once before she dies...how sad.

• Dagney
    Dagney

(waves to Shop)

I do. I am "holiday lite," the celebration is not natural to me yet. But I love anything that celebrates an individual's life and gets people together. You don't have to get all crazy and spend lots of money unless you choose to. A card with a personal message is always welcomes, someone took the time to convey it.

I started celebrating BD's with my JW gf's when I was still in...some still continue with that. Xmas, I haven't got into the hang of it, as far as decorating or getting a tree...I hand a pretty wreath on the door, I love that. But I love the gift exchange of it, and actually the holiday spirit, for those that have it. My staff at work is so excited during that time...sure...it's a burden, and there are complaints, and there is a sigh of relief when it's over, but all in all...it's fun to have that extra burden for a short time, otherwise life is just ______________________. Who wants that?

I love it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I celebrate holidays and birthdays to the best of my ability and wallet. Tomorrow for father's day hubby is getting his favorite breakfast in bed, Dutch Baby with strawberries, sour cream, and powered sugar subsitute and sausage.

• blondie
    blondie

No living fathers in the family, they are husbands, brothers, BILs, son-in-laws, sons, but no fathers.

I have found since I left, that my in-laws don't make a big deal of the holidays, probably because there are no little children or grandchildren. Just a card for birthdays, no gifts, parties, cakes, etc. MIL just finally put up a tree, mostly because she has some adopted grandchildren. Mother's day is maybe dinner at her house and we bring the food, but not all her children come, only if it is convenient. No Halloween except to give out candy to the neighborhood children. Easter...not much just a dinner but no eggs or bunnies. Even our anniversary is usually very low key. But it has been 10 years. It's hard to believe there were hard feelings from my non-jw in-laws considering how little they celebrate. I guess it was because we made the decision not them before.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I love it! We are going to see a movie and then to dinner at my husbands favorite restaurant!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit