Mormon vs JW experience

by thraxer68 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

" Written by a nut job with little evidence to back it up and plenty to contradict it.

Why bother to post it? I really don't see any point to it.

Chris"

I noticed an attempt to draw similarities between Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and mind control was mentioned so what I read sometime back came to mind. This is the type of literary output disseminated by individuals known as Christian theorists. It's a phenomenon that's actually somewhat popular outside mainstream Christianity.

http://www.cuttingedge.org/

http://www.christianmediaresearch.com/cuttingedge.html

The Cutting Edge is another Rapture Cult website that is making substantial inroads into Remnant circles. In what could be dubbed the Second Wave, this site represents a rather dangerous form of Rapturism in that such "ministries" have adapted themselves so that they appear more like the true Remnant ministries that have had some success in the last few years in drawing people out of the Whore of Babylon.

A writer named David Bay is the driving force behind the site. In his literary output, he borrows heavily from those outside the mainstream in that he writes on 'flashy' subjects such as UFO's, the Nephilim, the New World Order, and so forth. With this topical subject matter, few suspect that he is just as mainstream as say, Hal Lindsey. Worse yet, Bay is clearly willing to hide the Cult belief system that underpins his ministry in order to draw in more adherents.

Deceivers of this breed are crafty and have learned to use the Internet as an outreach to pick off those that are in crucial transition from the Cult. The classic definition of a tare, such look like the genuine article, but when you strip away the appealing topical subject matter, the theology is the same Antichrist teaching taught by the Rapture Cult for over a century.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I noticed an attempt to draw similarities between Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and mind control was mentioned

So what? It was a crappy attempt and was full of holes.

There are plenty of similarities between JW and Mormon and many other cults, without using crappy stuff like that as some sort of ammunition for something.

Chris

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"Alice, is English your first language?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Hatter

In the Disney animated feature Alice in Wonderland, the Mad Hatter appears as a short, hyper, tea-loving person.

I get ya... I googled the two characters. I've actually never seen the cartoon or movie so I didn't know what that person was talking about.

• not a captive
    not a captive

Here was something a Morman woman said that pushed me toward the exit of the KH.

I was talking to her about Witnesses having the stability of the Bible so that we couldn't be tricked.

She said that they have prophets that tell them new revelations.

She said that we have them too.

I thought for a minute and realized that she was correct.

The GB could change the meaning of the Bible for us and we have to accept it or be kicked out.

• avishai
    avishai

Ah, yes, but alice still thinks that logical fallacies will work here just as easily as @ the hall. Sorry, alice, but as they say "that dog won't hunt". The "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" stuff is much harder to use on those of us who've already pulled the wool from our own eyes.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

When I was a kid we went where the need Wasn't Needed at All.

The Mormons arrived a couple of years after us. Dad laughed at their recruiting techniques.

The Yearbook skited how well we were doing and how our success was a result of Holy Spirit.

Fast forward to 2009. Score: JWs just over 200, Mormons 2000

Who got Joe Ho Ho Ho's present's in their sock???

Cheers

Chris

• thraxer68
    thraxer68

Interesting stuff, it just seems like while the finer details such as specific beliefs and technical things like temple as opposed to KH are different, it would appear that they are pretty similar in a more broad sense. I guess Im also kind of interested in the thought process of a DF'd or DA'd JW compared to that of an ex-mormon. I know that the experience of becoming an ex JW can be devastating. Is that experience similar to that of an ex-mormon? It doesn't appear that leaving either religion is a nice happy mutual disagreement kind of deal. I remember one member on this forum posted a list of their thoughts that they had. I dont remember the thoughts specifically but they included things to the effect of "Jehovah's going to destroy me", etc...there was along list. How does that cognitive aspect compare to that of an ex-mormon? Are the emotional and psychological effects as adverse? I don't know that mormons practice DF-ing or anything similar as a part of their doctrine, if they do then I would imagine it could be the same but Im not sure. Any info?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Next time you get a chance to talk to them, just relate the cultish side of your own upbringing or WT experiences to them.

Watch their eyes. You can tell when you hit a chord.

Cheers

Chris

• designs
    designs

I grew up around some heavy weights in the LDS, our family doctor B.Hinkley was related to the LDS President and Leon Skousen, author of The Naked Communist, was a friend of my mother, and my folks played bridge with a group of LDS. We studied with them for awhile but it was to fanciful in terms of their rewritten history of western civilization and the lost tribe.

We made the much brighter move and became active in the Watchtower...........

• lesabre
    lesabre

alice.... jw's and mormons have alot in common... except for the magic underwear and the weird ceremonies. and they can't be fully submersed in water during their "missions".... or something like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit