QUESTION: What religion are you in now? ...

by terafera 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

If we change it from religion to belief...

I'm a postmodern radical constructivist who subscribes to Extropianism and atheism.

Skipper

• anewperson
    anewperson

It's understandable that many feel burnt out and betrayed by the Watchtower Society. I myself am a Free Christian now.

Free Christians believe in unity championing Christian freedoms (Ro14:1-5), love (Col 3:14) & the simple basics at Heb6:1-2. Beyond those there are no requirements although many including exJWs do also gladly help expose cults & dictatorships (Re 18:4), help the poor (Ga 2:10), respect Earth (Ec 1:4), believe the meek will receive earthly resurrection and others go serve from heaven (Mt5:5,6:9,Re19:1), the energy/spirit being Satan (Job1,2,Mt4) not God caused human suffering, Christ & Paul say call God our "Father" for closeness(Mt6:9,Ro8:15) although Yah(weh), Jehovah or the tender Jah as in "hallelu-jah" (Praise Jah/the Lord) are acceptable, God's Spirit & symbolic water baptise, God forgives emergency blood usage (1Sa14:32-5,Mt12), tithing’s not required (Mt5:17, 23:23, Re7:6, 10:34, 2Co3:7-11).

Gatherings may be via internet, in homes etc; groups may pick servants though Christ's the only Leader over all (Mt23:13,1Ti2:5) as with earliest Christianity & most Protestant groups 400 years, select their own names (example Jah Christians). There's a free newsletter for exJWs & friends from all belief systems that contains a weekly Bible chapter for those wanting unified reading of the Bible itself. To get any other questions answered or the Free Christians News email me at [email protected] or Troy Brown at [email protected].
    Again, so long as peaceable "all belief systems" are welcome to these & our other free services: epenpals, a song book, about 50 leaflet or brochure-sized publications etc.

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

While I don't personally believe in a god or transcendent power, I do attend a Presbyterian church with my family on a regular basis. I find the hour spent, 30 minutes of which is music, to be very relaxing. I simply sit and listen to stuff I don't feel like being diagreeable about. Things like being a better father, husband and person.

My kids like to attend their Sunday school classes with their friends from middle school and high school. I think the whole experience for them is positive. So, strange as it may seem, I do enjoy my hour of religion every week.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son." Dean Vernon Wormer, Faber College

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

ThiChi, hello I too have spent many an hour in that web. Mark Miller and others have contributed a large part of thier everyday life to bring out thins in the bible. I enjoy it very much and its good to see that some one else does too. Buff

• riz
    riz

I would chew off my own arm and beat myself to death with the bloody end of it before I joined another religion.

riz

• David Gladden
    David Gladden

I'm with Francois, only I never *really* believed in the supernatural to begin with... I just played along to keep my friends and family happy. After awhile I could not take it anymore and left the org. I guess you could say that I was a "Closet Atheist" who kicked the door open, scared the hell out of everyone I knew.

The irony of it all is that the few people who knew me as a JW and still talk to me say they like me better now. They say that I am more peaceful, kind and look healthier.

• target
    target

Riz said it best. That is how I feel, too. I can believe what I want without belonging to any organization. I don't answer to anyone but me.

Target

• Celtic
    Celtic

Upon leaving initially I searched for many answers through eastern philosophy, but this was at the same time as really working through the shackles of JW caged thinking, so the balance was never quite found, although now it still has its appeal to me.

As far as spirituality today goes, the land and nature I communicate with more and more, its great to feel a part of the earth and in turn to respect that she has also given me.

Christianity I'm still struggling with, although that too, ummmmm ....??? (Don't want to go in a cage)

A spirituality with more gentleness and care and respect for one another without the need for words though

Peace

Celtic

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

I'm with riz too.

BTW, "spirituality" does not equal "religion." They are two distinctly different things.

FreePeace
    "The World is my country, and to do good, my religion." --Thomas Paine
    TruthQuest: http://beam.to/truthquest
    Who Am I? -How to Reinvent Yourself After Leaving the WTS

• beepers
    beepers

I think I still believe in God. However, never again will I belong to a specific group or church.

Amy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit