Not Allowed to read other religious literature? Quotes Required Please

by ThomasCovenant 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

I've tried some searching but can't find instances where reading other religious literature is discouraged.

Is it true?

Thanks

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

OKM Question Box, Sept 2007

Throughout the earth, Jehovah’s people are receiving ample spiritual instruction and encouragement at congregation meetings, assemblies, and conventions, as well as through the publications of Jehovah’s organization. Under the guidance of his holy spirit and on the basis of his Word of truth, Jehovah provides what is needed so that all of God’s people may be “fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought” and remain “stabilized in the faith.” (1 Cor. 1:10; Col. 2:6, 7) Surely we are grateful for Jehovah’s spiritual provisions in these last days. Thus, “the faithful and discreet slave” does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight.—Matt. 24:45-47.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

"False religious propaganda from any source should be avoided like poison! Really, since our Lord has used "the faithful and discreet slave" to convey to us "sayings of everlasting life," why should we ever want to look anywhere else?" Watchtower 1987 November 1 p.20
      "In Jehovah's organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to that very thing?"Watchtower 1967 Jun 1 p.338
      "As loyal servants of Jehovah, why would we want to peek at the propaganda put out by rejecters of Jehovah's table..." Watchtower 1994 Jul 1 pp.12-13

"It would be a mistake to think that you need to listen to apostates or to read their writings to refute their arguments. Their twisted, poisonous reasoning can cause spiritual harm and can contaminate your faith like rapidly spreading gangrene." Watchtower 2004 Feb 15 p.28
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

This is the km sep 2007 article BS quoted from.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

"False religious propaganda from any source should be avoided like poison! Really, since our Lord has used "the faithful and discreet slave" to convey to us "sayings of everlasting life," why should we ever want to look anywhere else?" Watchtower 1987 November 1 p.20

LOL . You can't make it up can you.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I cannot help seeing a difference between "reading religious literature" and "false religious propaganda". JWs are disencouraged in the quotes from reading for example a pro-Trinitarian book - but for my part, I have found great arguments and never-thought-of lines of reasoning in non-JW literature on the fallacy of the Trinity teaching, as for other topics as well.

Cannot speak for anyone but myself, but I keep on reading as many books as I can on theological topics, and there ain't nobody able to stop me from doing so.

• sabastious
    sabastious

The Bible says "Keep proving your faith"

The WT says "Keep proving your faith... using but one source, ours."

-Sab

• Heaven
    Heaven

It isn't limited to other religious literature either. Anything not produced by the WTS is considered 'worldly' and you're supposed to 'shy away from all things worldly/unclean/..... " blah blah blah! Of course, they eat the food produced by worldly people, and they go to the schools taught by worldly people and they 'glean' medical assistance from worldly doctors. I think this is called hypocrisy.

Right from their own website....

"... Once you have fled from, or have separated yourself from, the present doomed world, you must fight any urge to go back to take advantage of whatever can be gleaned from it. (1 Corinthians 7:31) You may be able to wander out of the spiritually safe zone and come back unscathed with no one even noticing it. However, that likely will embolden you and lead to your returning to the world again, lingering in it a bit longer. Soon the attitude could develop: "The end won't come today."

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20000215/article_02.htm

Just as an aside here... they need to update this page as we are now in a new century and so far that I am aware, we haven't had any world wars. Sheesh! Their credibility dips lower and lower every single day.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

sabastious - that is a nice one, regretfully a nice one, but nice.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

jwfacts, I remember that article in the KM, and I thought immediately...

"Did I ask you MF's whether you "endorsed" anything? If you would provide something intellectually stimulating perhaps this wouldn't happen."

I remember the words... "Because you are neither cold, nor hot, I will vomit you out of my mouth."

I got to the point where I always had something else to read hidden in my material. I simply couldn't listen to any more of that mindless, vacuous dribble. It would make me angry.

I remember thinking... "I drove to this sh*thole to freeze and listen to some idiot talk about our need to "peer into the deep things of God", and the whole time we were there we NEVER EVER did ANY OF THAT@!!!!!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit