Not Allowed to read other religious literature? Quotes Required Please

by ThomasCovenant 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• not a captive
    not a captive

It is THINKING that is the real danger. Reading their literature and then thinking will get you in trouble with the WTS. If you find a discrepancy and provide the reasoning from their literature and in conscience try to express your concern you are done.

When I discovered that they only wantyou to repeat what comes out of their mouths, the FDS, regardless of the Bible and common sense and their own reference work I finally realized I was in CRAZY LAND. I got out.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Thanks for the quotes, JWFacts. As someone who was raised "from infancy" as a devout JW and spent decades in the organization, it was always crystal-clear to me that reading "false religious literature" or anything that argues a religious position contrary to what the WTS teaches was off-limits.

Perhaps a brief experience may best illustrate how Witnesses view literature that disagrees with their views. Some time ago, I had a conversation with a family member who is a long-time JW, regular pioneer, has been on many assemblies/conventions (demos/experiences, not talks, because she's a woman), and is an expert on WTS doctrine. At the time, I was having some concerns about whether the Bible is actually inspired. I told her that I was interested in digging into the issue by reading what the experts in the field had to say.

She told me that there was plenty of information on this subject on the WT Library CD. I told her I had read that material, but that I recognized that the WT material was severely slanted in one direction, and I wanted to read what the experts in the field had to say. I asked if there was anything wrong with that. She responded that Satan controlled the world, and thus I should be wary of such books. She also related the experience of a friend of hers who was having some doubts about the Bible, but that after really studying the WT literature on the subject concluded that her doubts were unfounded. She encouraged me to follow a similar course.

I replied as follows "So it seems like you're saying that it's ok to research this issue as long as everything I read is on one side of the issue. Anything that argues in favor of a different conclusion is from Satan and can't be trusted. Doesn't that seem a bit circular?" She acknowledged that it sounded strange, but that it boils down to faith.

In my experience, this sort of mentality is not the exception--rather it is the rule among JWs.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Good post Olin Moyles Ghost. I've found that is indeed the rule, not the exception as well. In today's day and age with the internet and access to information, reviews, critiques, advice etc, one usually researches EVERYTHING before they buy something, whether it be an idea or product. Even JW's do this.... EXCEPT when it comes to theology.

So basicly, let's just buy this Kirby vaccuum because the Kirby salesman says its the best and ONLY vaccuum you will ever need...

Round and round they go.

• peacedog
    peacedog

Why do Jehovah's Witnesses decline to exchange their Bible study aids for the religious literature of people they meet? ... it would be foolhardy, as well as a waste of valuable time, for Jehovah's Witnesses to accept and expose themselves to false religious literature that is designed to deceive. ... it is out of wisdom and respect for God's counsel that Jehovah's Witnesses do not make a practice of exchanging valuable Bible study aids containing Scriptural truth for religious literature that disseminates error or apostate views. –The Watchtower, May 1, 1984, p. 31.

• undercover
    undercover

That's a great quote, peacedog...

• peacedog
    peacedog

Compare the previous quote with these statements:

The book then raises the logical question. "Is it reasonable to assume that the religion imposed at one's birth is necessarily the whole truth?" Thus, every person is encouraged to examine other religions with an open mind. –The Watchtower, April 1, 1991, p. 17.

Can you say LIARS ?

Peace,

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

"You may be able to wander out of the spiritually safe zone and come back unscathed with no one even noticing it. However, that likely will embolden you and lead to your returning to the world again, lingering in it a bit longer. Soon the attitude could develop: "The end won't come today."

Thank God they finally got ONE prophecy right!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I can't think of any quotes offhand, but I do remember that it was a no-no with regard to reading other religions' literature. I vaguely remember somebody say it was like mining for gold and finding the mother lode and why would you look elsewhere once you found it...

It is a one-way street with the JW religion.

• booby
    booby

slightly off topic but I was surprised to see at about 8 minutes in the first half of the new dvd they emphasis Grew saying that scripture can and should be used to interpret scripture. And yet in their literature they say that you must have that literature of theirs to do that. If you spend much time at all reviewing their literature you soon find oodles of condradictions.

• man in black
    man in black

Why do Jehovah's Witnesses decline to exchange their Bible study aids for the religious literature of people they meet?

I knew a witness that would tell a householfer:

Why don't you come to my door, and then we can talk about exchanging literature.

He was quite an arrogant sob.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit