JW’s District Convention 2010 – Drawn Closer to Jehovah. My reflections…

by onemore 27 Replies latest jw friends

• onemore
    onemore

Hi all!

September will mark my first year out of the “Watch Tower’s Darkness” (pun intended). I embarked on my full blown search for truth about the “Truth” in April 2009, and by September of that same year I was convinced the organization was no different than any other religion; but I was wrong again. Because if there were like any other Christian denomination, such as the Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, etc…it would have been a lot easier to endure sitting in their meetings, listening to their rhetoric, and engaging in some of their activities. In the past, I have felt offended, insulted and in disagreement with some of the statements made out the platform. But this DC will be the first time in my years of association with the JW that I literally felt disgusted by what I heard and saw coming out from the platform –to the audience.

I’m not going to waste your and my energy (and bandwidth) summarizing the entire program in detail. Is not worth it, because we know what the program was about. Any reference to Jehovah really meant to the Organization which really means the Governing Body. So, obey and blindly trust the “slave”, preach more and more, higher education is bad, the end is near. Period. Let’s move on.

One particular feature of the language and tone of the entire program was the distrust in the R&F. They were very condescending, emphasizing dependency on the organization and lack of trust in your own thinking faculties.

In some of the demonstration and talks the implicit message was, draw away from your non-JW family, limit your association with JW that are not in good standing, don’t listen to any negative talk about the organization even if it comes from someone you love, respect and trust.

I had the privilege? of being there for the Watchtower study that introduced the generation change and the talk (“remain in the place of the most high”) that further “explained” the new understanding. I was chocked as I took a looked at an audience of over 3 thousand people and saw many nodding their heads in agreement as if a revelation has been brought to them. There were no comments during the lunch break or after the convention about the “new light”, no one seems to care, no one seems to realize what has just been said…and yet, they all kept saying, the end is near, the end is near.

The most insulting part was the drama. Anybody with the slightest knowledge of historical Christianity and the context of the Roman destruction of Jerusalem in 70 would have felt completed to jump on the stage and scream out laud! Wake up people! Wake up! In the closing scene,one of the male charactershad some 8X11.5 papyrus sheet where he was writing down some information, his -70 c.e Christian- wife was happy because she had a great day going from door to door (I wonder what version of the “good news” was she “preaching”?) , he expressed how happy he is since he left his wine making business to better serve Jehovah, that he was reviewing the congregation’s records and was thrilled to see the growth and the increase in the congregation activities!

There is so much more to say, but I don’t want to burden you. I’ve been thinking since last night, that instead of feeling angry and disgusted at the leadership of this organization, that I (and perhaps also some of you) should feel sorry for:

John E. Barr, Samuel F. Herd, Geoffrey Jackson, M. Stephen Lett, Gerrit Lösch, Anthony Morris, Guy H. Pierce, David H. Splane; A.K.A Governing Body 2.0. I really would like to say that you are all worthless pitiful pieces of sh**t, but I wouldn’t like to insult sh**t by comparing it to you GB 2.0. Nor insult any members of this body that might be going through a Crisis of Conscience; but also it wouldn’t be Christian like to insult my ‘enemies’. It’s so pitiful that the Governing Body have to resort to this type of lowlife propaganda and tactics to validate themselves. They have no real authority, they are “posers” they know it, and that is why they are turning the mind control, cult tactics up a few notch. Take a hard look GB 2.0…YOU ARE NOTHING! You shame on you.

fool cartoons, fool cartoon, fool picture, fool pictures, fool image, fool images, fool illustration, fool illustrations

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Thank you for sharing. This reconfirms my non attendance... It is really becoming more and more CULT like.

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

Onemore,

thank you for sharing this - I cannot believe the anachronism of bringing todays organisational methods back to the 1st century! It seems almost......well, without wanting to be uncharitable, it seems the organisation are hoping that the average Witness is so culturally illiterate, he will not realise this?! Very sad.

PP

• blondie
    blondie

More and more the WTS adds to the bible and many jws don't get it that they are making up things. Now some jws will walk around think that first century Christians turned in time slips.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------

The most insulting part was the drama. Anybody with the slightest knowledge of historical Christianity and the context of the Roman destruction of Jerusalem in 70 would have felt completed to jump on the stage and scream out laud! Wake up people! Wake up! In the closing scene,one of the male charactershad some 8X11.5 papyrus sheet where he was writing down some information, his -70 c.e Christian- wife was happy because she had a great day going from door to door (I wonder what version of the “good news” was she “preaching”?) , he expressed how happy he is since he left his wine making business to better serve Jehovah, that he was reviewing the congregation’s records and was thrilled to see the growth and the increase in the congregation activities!

• snowbird
    snowbird

one of the male characters had some 8X11.5 papyrus sheet where he was writing down some information, his -70 c.e Christian- wife was happy because she had a great day going from door to door (I wonder what version of the “good news” was she “preaching”?) , he expressed how happy he is since he left his wine making business to better serve Jehovah, that he was reviewing the congregation’s records and was thrilled to see the growth and the increase in the congregation activities!

Pure blasphemy and overreaching!

I suppose next they will have 1st century characters wearing polyester suits, modest, knee-length dresses and skirts, and lugging around book bags with Bible study "aids."

Syl

• blondie
    blondie

"just a little artistic embellishment" my hubbie said tongue-in-cheek

• onemore
    onemore

D.S

I’m in the “they are not a destructive cult” camp. But in all honesty, it’s becoming very hard to support that statement, specially now…it’s too obvious, they are not even embarrassed by it. I’m reconsidering my opinion on the JW religion (cult).

P.P

Any history book on the subject says that prior to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 c.e that the Christians and the Jews met in the same synagogues, that Jews saw Christians as any other sect like the Sadducees and the Pharisees (even though they gave christians a hard time). In Jerusalem, many (if not all) Christian Jews still observed the law, but it was not until after the destruction of Jerusalem that the Christian cut all ties with Judaism. But yet, the WT manage to make it seems as if the Christian were “separate” from the entire Jewish community and wanted nothing to do with their non-christian jewish relatives…because, of course, they were not christians.

Blondie

On the generation WT study the speaker said that, “obviously Jesus was talking about the TWO overlapping generation when he talked about the generation.” He said it just like that, no lie.

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

Thank you for your observations. I'm definitely not looking forward to going this year.

I'm newly fading, so I will check out books on the history of Christianity so I can tell my family how the drama took liberties. Thanks for the heads up!

• blondie
    blondie

obviously:

certainly, clearly, distinctly, manifestly, needless to say, of course, palpably, patently, plainly, undeniably, unmistakably, unquestionably, without doubt

Notice how many buzzwords are used here implying that the listener is stupid if they don't get it.

• Think About It
    Think About It

obviously:

certainly, clearly, distinctly, manifestly, needless to say, of course, palpably, patently, plainly, undeniably, unmistakably, unquestionably, without doubt

Notice how many buzzwords are used here implying that the listener is stupid if they don't get it.

Blondie......you forgotto list duh.

Like "Duh people,

Jesus was talking about the TWO overlapping generation when he talked about the generation.”

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit