God Active or Not?

by ISP 21 Replies latest jw friends

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

The only thing I can say for sure is that whenever I've asked for help and guidance, I've received it. It could perhaps be said that the act of prayer simply allowed me to focus my efforts and any results were coincidental, but I honestly believe that I have received help from an external force.

• ISP
    ISP

Redhorse Woman 'I honestly believe that I have received help from an external force.'

I believe that God can help you or me in a passive sense or indirectly through reading the Bible and the application of principles that benefit. If God has helped you - cool. You have to reconcile why he ignores those more deserving and that is no disrespect to you in your circumstances.

Mommy 'I hope that through my works I am able to help others see the love of God. I have helped many to restore their faith, and personal relationship with god. Which I feel is the most important.'

I like all that and so you maybe helping others and to that extent answering peoples prayers. In which case you are ACTIVE and God is PASSIVE.

RR 'God is very active...'
    I have no doubt he is somewhere........but it is here that I am most concerned!

ISP

• ianao
    ianao
    I have no doubt he is somewhere........but it is here that I am most concerned!

Please elaborate ISP. I don't recall anyone stating that this message board was endowed with THE SPIRIT, THE HOLY.

What exactly do you mean?

-ianao

• thinker
    thinker

It would take a long, long time to explain my concept of God since it is completely foreign to any organized religion. But to answer it question: yes, I think God is active. I also believe He's greatly misunderstood. I think Redhorse has the view that most closely fits my definition of God: an external force.

thinker

• TR
    TR

Could I choose just about anything to call God? And would he/she/it help guide my path? Is meditating and praying to God just that? Meditating on our own knowledge and common sense?

If I asked Satan the Devil to help me with making the right decisions, would I automatically make the wrong decisions because I was praying to Satan? Are Christians any better off mentally and spiritually than say, Humanists?

I'm getting to the point of believing that religion does whatever one wants it to do.

TR

• ISP
    ISP

-ianao
    'Please elaborate ISP. I don't recall anyone stating that this message board was endowed with THE SPIRIT, THE HOLY.'

I didn't mean here in the sense of here on this board but here in the sense of this planet. God maybe active but the universe is a big place.

ISP

• RR
    RR

TR

I'm getting to the point of believing that religion does whatever one wants it to do.

As the judge would say "Religion is a snare and a racket."

• larc
    larc

RR and TR,

I think you're right. I think we should cut out middlemen and go directly to the source.

• mommy
    mommy

Ianao,
    I am at peace with my beliefs, so "What if's" don't occur!
    Unlike another path I followed for WAY TOO LONG:)
    I appreciate your input, and value hearing other opinions.
    mommy

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

TR,

You said: I am getting to the point of believing that religion does whatever one wants it to do.

I agree!

You can also say: One does whatever religion tells them to do and believe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit