"The End is Closer Than You Think" came up at a party.

by RubaDub 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

We were at a party (get-together in JW speak) and somehow the ones I was talking with changed the subject to a talk given by the CO that "the end is closer than we think."

I just sheepishly asked the group ... "I don't understand that phrase, "the end is closer than we think." I said my parents told me I would never go to school, then later that I would never graduate from high school, and that I would never get married.

Then I mentioned my parents were expecting the end to be in 1975 ... my grandparents were expecting the end numerous times in the 1920's and 1930's.

So I very nicely asked, "Isn't is more correct to say "the end is farther than we think? since we keep anticipating the end to come but from our human perspective it keeps getting pushed back?

The room got surprising quiet and some strange looks on peoples faces. The only elder in the group quickly changed the subject and stated how we have to be ready, live our lives as if the end was coming tomorrow ... etc etc etc.

I just wish I had a picture of the faces of some of the brothers when a logical viewpoint was presented that is not "kosher."

Rub a Dub

• Quandry
    Quandry

Next time you "get together" with the same group, start saying, "You know the end is clooooooooooooooose.....it is just around the corner...no, it's at the corner....no, it's as close as the inside of my eyelids....we are in the very last seconds of the last days and have been since 1874....."

• carla
    carla

Ever ask them - I thought the end was supposed to come when we least expect it?

• blondie
    blondie

Correct, carla. (from the NWT)

(Matthew 24:42-47) 42 Keep on the watch, therefore, because YOU do not know on what day YOUR Lord is coming. 43 “But know one thing, that if the householder had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have kept awake and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 On this account YOU too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I remember being out in a car group, they were talking about how only those who are already married of the great crowd will still be married in the new system everyone else stays single. So I said "we probably don't really understand what he really meant that idea doesn't really make sense" You could have heard a pin drop & a disturbed look came over everyones face. If you question anything people get scared and suspicion wells up in their minds.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

I would love to ask, "If you are so sure, what are your emergency plans in regards to food, water, electricity, etc.?"

• minimus
    minimus

If the end is soooooooooo close why does the Society continue to build, remodel, buy and sell?? I don't get it.

• StAnn
    StAnn

If the end is so close, why did the Society just buy themselves another 100 years with the Generation change?

StAnn

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Ahhh Rubadub..

How well I remember the "brother" who studied with my folks pointing at me and saying "...he'll never graduate from elementary school". Just more BS to keep the 'faithful' in line.

That statement about me and elementary school was made in 1956......

Dannyboy

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Strange how we all developed this kind of sixth sense and knew there were things we really 'mustn't' say...despite knowing that a lot of us thought the same???

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit