The Writing Department's use of "Exclamation Points". Anybody else find their use cheesy? Or motivating possibly?

by miseryloveselders 57 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

Waterprout!!!!!! we have so much in common!!!!! I have an unnatural urge to hit that key allllllllllll the time!!!!!!!

• still thinking
    still thinking

Actually!!!!!! this this thread is good therapy!!!!!! maybe I'll get it out of my system and go on to lead a normal (!) free life................! dam

• james_woods
    james_woods

Just for what it is worth, James Bond author Ian Fleming seemed (to me) rather fond of exclamation points, too - but of course it never went anywhere as far as the writing department. With him, it was never as an emotional crutch - usually just for emphasis of a striking or unusual idea.

I kind of got in the habit of using them a little more often than normal because I admired Fleming, but have toned it down since.

• Room 215
    Room 215

They get it from the comic books! Slam! Pow! Wham! Shazaam!

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thats it!! I loved Batman & Robin when I was growing up!!!

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Are you guys saying the Watchtower is the written equivalent of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohp_nmI_TFA

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Its even part of the title of one of their rags.

Awake!

Its like a laugh track on a sitcom, showing you where the funny bits are so you know when to laugh.

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

I didn't think they motivated me, per se, but they definetly tug on your emotions.

Whoa, I just realized they put exclaimation marks in the Awake! Title...Anyway, like others have said, it's all about emotions. Like so:

Fear: Armageddon will not delay! Satan rules this world! Apostates want to destroy your hope for salvation!

Happyfied-ness: How grateful we should be for the Faithful and Discreet Slave! What an exciting prospect of living forever in paradise! No doubt, you were overcome with joy when you first learned Bible Truth (TM)!

Sense of justice and sense of safety (kinda): Of course Jehovah longs to abolish wickedness and restore the Earth to paradisiac conditions! Jehovah will right all the wrongs! He provides us with an Earthly organization guided by holy spirit today!

Sadness/empathy (or lack thereof): Jehovah weeps when a loved one turns away from him! How sad he must have been when Adam and Eve disobeyed! We do not weep over the dead, for we have hope! We should feel the satisfaction one gets from knowing a criminal is executed!

It's some scary-ass stuff, Misery...gulp

• watersprout
    watersprout
    this this thread is good therapy!!!!!!

It most certainly is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exclamation point therapy it shall be called!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it's ok with you misery can i hijack your thread with exclamation marks?

Peace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• still thinking
    still thinking

wow watersprout! all those exclamation marks gave me vertigo! I think I may be seeing light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a new light! or....maybe its just the words at the end of your exclamation marks in the distance. where are my glasses?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit