The Writing Department's use of "Exclamation Points". Anybody else find their use cheesy? Or motivating possibly?

by miseryloveselders 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Watchtower Wankers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!X 1000

• White Dove
    White Dove

For me when I read A! and WT when I was still in, I felt the !!!!!!!!! were telling me, "And, you'd better believe what we just said, OR ELSE!!!!!!!!!"

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

This is like what they do at District Assemblies.... at the end of 3 or four GRUELING HOT NASTY BORING REPETITIVE DAYS the speaker says..."Arent we BLESSED Brothers and Sisters! To have had THREE DAYS FULL of Jehovahs SPIRITUAL FOOD?????!!!!!!!!!" Big applause ensues....when most of us were thinking SHUT UP all I want to do is go HOME ALREADY.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"This is like what they do at District Assemblies"

I was thinking about this being the standard at the DC. To me all the speakers seem to add !! to let people know when to jump in and clap. A friend and I used to kid around whenever we felt a ! was coming! We wanted to be the ones to "get the clap started." Hmm, seeing that in print I just realized that could be taken another way. Oh well, it's conditioning, the speaker puts an exclamation in, everybody starts clapping no matter what he says.

• sabastious
    sabastious

It's not just the punctuation.

I first have to laugh at the whole sentence. I love your old batman analogy, it fits perfect!

The exclamation point just "tops off" the ridiculous sentiment of the entire sentence!

-Sab

• Heaven
    Heaven

They motivate me to never open another one of their publications again.

• RADHESYAM
    RADHESYAM

A friend and I used to kid around whenever we felt a ! was coming! We wanted to be the ones to "get the clap started.

Oh wow - I thougtit was just me and my brother who did that!

• still thinking
    still thinking

Oh no!!!! I do this a lot!!!! stop me please!!!! someone!!!! anyone!!!!!!

thanks for resurrecting this thread RAD I haven't read this one. It is so true

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Also notice that they often use the "!" in a response to a rhetorical question. I mean, outside of American Sign Language, who the heck ever answers their own rhetorical questions? It is demeaning and condescending. It is as if the reader can't see the obvious answer to the rhetorical question so they feel the need to make it absolutely abundantly clear. It is also an effort at forcing conformity because the readers in the rank and file aren't allowed to formulate their OWN answers to the rhetorical questions posed, they MUST agree with the answers given.

Do you get what I'm saying? Of course you do!

• watersprout
    watersprout

I use too many exclamation marks to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help me i can't stop pressing the key on the puter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit