Growing Up With Violence

by compound complex 67 Replies latest social entertainment

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hugs to all ...

Syl

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Yep, me too. Abusive and crazy JW mother.... had to get 10 stitches in the head once....

I sometimes wonder if that's why I'm turning 50 this year and still addicted to forums like this one....

God bless all of you who have shared your experiences here...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Syl, Prodigal Son, LV and Band.

Though our perspective on aspects of abuse and abusers may differ, we all appear to be survivors.

Love and blessings to YOU,

CoCo

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I find the whole parent/child relationship is a strange one because each of us were prisoners in our parents world when we were helpless and vulnerable. Sometimes it works out alright but often it does not. we all have our own little genetic ways and for some its easiar to cope than for others and the distance of time can ease the pain and we can have the perspective to understand the mental issues of some parents but sometimes the damage is too severe and its hard to recover.

I did not have a physically abusive situation nor was I raised a jw but my mother is a self-absorbed empty headed physically beautiful woman (in her youth) with four husbands and I was her only child unlike her in most ways our relationship is polite,cordial and empty. we all have our disappointments its too bad we can't all live like the tv program leave it to beaver but that just isn't the way it goes.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Nancy, for allowing us a look into your relationship with your mother. I'm sorry it hasn't been a warm and fulfilling experience for you. If you ever have an opportunity, please look into Judith Viorst's excellent study on human relationships:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/163499/1/NECESSARY-LOSSES

I, too, grew up with Leave It to Beaver and Father Knows Best. Though I don't remember watching Ozzie and Harriet, I read some published comments from the recently deceased David Nelson. He was clear on how the "happy family" with easily resolved problems on screen had knock-down drag-out episodes backstage.

In The Lion in Winter - after some horrendous family catastrophe - Eleanor of Aquitaine declared wistfully, 'What family doesn't have its ups-and downs?'

CoCo

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Some folks I truly love are in this thread... and it is a thread that breaks my heart.

Such love I have for you people... and such joy and pride that we are all here together today. We are all survivors, in different ways.

To us.

• compound complex
    compound complex

So good to see you, dear Baba!

I appreciate your -thoughts.

Love,

CoCo

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

It is always a delight to see you too, my Dear CoCo! Hugs from afar!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit