StAnn

Beks is a man? I don't believe it.

StAnn

• compound complex
    compound complex

StAnn:

((((((CoCo))))))))

You make me happy, man!

Beks threw me for a loop; she left out the comma!

Example:

Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia.

Pardon impossible, to be sent to Siberia.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hehehe I thought to edit!!! Next time I'll do it.

Man!!! You make me happy!!!!

• beksbks
    beksbks

Eats, Shoots, and Leaves!

• compound complex
    compound complex

THANKS, Beks:

This impassioned manifesto on punctuation made the best-seller lists in Britain and has followed suit here. Journalist Truss gives full rein to her "inner stickler" in lambasting common grammatical mistakes. Asserting that punctuation "directs you how to read in the way musical notation directs a musician how to play," Truss argues wittily and with gusto for the merits of preserving the apostrophe, using commas correctly, and resurrecting the proper use of the lowly semicolon. Filled with dread at the sight of ubiquitous mistakes in store signs and headlines, Truss eloquently speaks to the value of punctuation in preserving the nuances of language. Liberally sprinkling the pages with Briticisms ("Lawks-a-mussy") and moving from outright indignation to sarcasm to bone-dry humor, Truss turns the finer points of punctuation into spirited reading. Joanne Wilkinson
    Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

• tec
    tec

I tell you today, you will be with me in Paradise.

I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.

Tammy

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good one, Tammy!

http://www.savethecomma.com/spread.html

The above is way cool! The author has deadly intent toward those who distinguish not between "it's" and "its."

CoCo

• wobble
    wobble

Black Sheep you have a P.M

I agree with Ms. Truss, punctuation is so important in conveying the meaning in an exact manner, and in making a piece readable.

The WT proofreading is still of superb quality despite the odd mistake getting through. the stuff I see from companies and in the press can never have been perused by a competent proof-reader.

It is important though, not just in getting your message across without ambivalence, but with the impression you give, I always suspect that a company with a shoddy advert full of typos etc, is not going to give good products or services.

Off topic almost, why does spell-check on here not like the abbreviation "etc." if you write " et cetera " in full it doesn't like the "cetera" .

I guess it hasn't learned Latin yet.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Wobble:

Points well made. Yes, it's a reflection on the company and its product.

Have a good day. I'm going to take a breather now and saw some logs ...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ....................

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit