Witnesses "can't take the heat"

by Olin Moyles Ghost 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Have you ever heard a Witness say something like "why do apostates have to keep talking about the WTS/JW faith? Why don't they just go on with their lives? If they've found something better, why don't they just focus on that instead of us?" I've heard such statements and I've seen such statements written by purported JWs on this and other websites.

When I hear/read such statements, the old adage about a "pot" and a "kettle" comes to mind. If there is any religion in the whole world that has absolutely no right to complain about criticism, it's the Watchtower / JW faith. This is a religion that requires its members to actively recruit people to leave other religions in favor of the WT/JW faith. This is a religion that has consistently, for many decades, denounced every other religion in the world as part of the harlot of Revelation. This is a religion that used to picket in front of churches on Sundays wearing signs that religion is a snare and a racket. (note that I have no problem with the WTS doing this; I'm a fan of free speech; but I do have a problem with double standards and hypocrisy--if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen)

Some of the JWs who have made such statements are first-generation Witnesses. In other words, they left another religion to join the Witnesses. After joining the Witnesses, they regularly engage in the "preaching work" which involves distributing WT literature that denounces other religions (for example, remember the "End of False Religion is Near" tract campaign a few years back?). Imagine the outcry that these Witnesses would make if ex-Witnesses embarked on such a campaign!

So, how can a JW keep a straight face while complaining about other people criticizing the JW/WT faith. Talk about double standards! As a wise man once said, "if you can't take the heat...get out of the kitchen."

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Agreed.

Another thought is that, as JWs, we were told constantly that if we had information that could save people's lives, we had an obligation to share it. So - now that we can see the "truth" for what it really is, why would we do any less? ;)

Funny how it doesn't seem to work both ways.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Read the posts of the JW Apologists on our own board..

They run down the Catholics,at every opportunity..

If you say something negative about the WBT$..It`s the Catholics who are brought up by the JW Apologists..

Are the Catholics responsible for everything that constantly goes wrong at the WBT$?..

Crazy 1

................................ ...OUTLAW

• Bluegill
    Bluegill

I remember they used to say..."Remember when you first discovered the truth? You wanted to talk about it to everyone and all of the time." The same can be said when you discovered that it isn't the truth.

You can't stop talking about something that was a huge part of your life. Meetings 3 times a week. FS a couple of times a week. Parts on the meeting. Some were Elders, MS's, and Pioneers. It occupied a lot of their life. In my opinion it would be odd not to speak about it.

Those that leave the JW's do get on with their lives. The Ex JW's that I know talk very little about their previous way of life. It's just nice meeting here and speaking with people that have gone through the same thing.

Those that have left in my family have done quite well for themselves. Some have got married, had children, gone to college, bought nice homes, traveled the world, and have good paying jobs. They are very busy in leading nice normal lives. I guess you can say they have moved on and are happy.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Right on target, OMG! Well said!

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"You can't stop talking about something that was a huge part of your life."

That is exactly my viewpoint bluegill. The fact is, it is a major part of my history, and even as I move on with my life, I will never fully shake the effects it has on me. It is my story, and I will tell it as much as I like. My very name is a constant reminder of the fact that I was born into a cult. So screw them if they don't like me saying things about the WTBTS. The WT has impacted every aspect of my life.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Excellent point Serenity....this is how feel. It has formed who I am for good and bad, it has affected everything about my life, from my friends, my education, my marriage, even when I choose to have children, to how my family treats me now.

So yes, I am going to talk about it.

• garyneal
    garyneal

My wife has been saying this to me lately too.

"If you don't want to be a part of us, leave us alone, do your own thing."

Maybe I am a bit paranoid but I am also concerned with how this can affect my marriage and family.

I recall one year, I wanted to take my wife out on a special New Year's Eve date while we were home visiting relatives over the holidays. It fell on meeting night (Wednesday) and since her mom is so devout, my wife followed suit. No advanced warning that she wanted to change the plans to favor her mom over me. She just changed them. I was so indoctrinated myself at the time that I was actually believing that I was being a tool of Satan for insisting that my wife keep her promise to me.

This started the downward spiral of her running back to the dreadful cult.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Those evil apostates they say that! hehehe

Good thread...

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Great point OMG! I agree..

-MF31-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit