Blondie's Comments You Will Not Hear at the 06-06-10 WT Study (YOUNG PEOPLE) TEST PLEASE FORGIVE ME

by blondie 39 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Room 215, without a doubt its artistic license. The thing I don't get is, how void of a conscience are the GB and Writing Department to print this nonsense? I'm at work, right now, so I don't have access to the WT Library CD Rom. But last night I typed in "Scholarship" in the search engine, and starting from 1964 there are articles with paragraphs similar to this "Cherie." When you do the math, someone who was 18 in 1964, would be 64 years old today. So if a person attended college for 4 years, and then stuck with this organization thereafter, they still would have spent 42 years with this organization after getting a degree. A person who was 18 in 1980, would be 48 years old today. If they spent four years getting a degree, and stayed with this religion thereafter, they still would have given this organization 26 years of their life after getting a degree. Not to mention all the years leading up to them reaching adulthood if they were a born-in. I've been knocking on doors longer than I care to remember. I wasn't even tall enough to reach the bell, and my parents had to lift me to press the bell. You mean to tell me, if decide to go to school full time for a few years, that my service to Jehovah is tainted? I made an immoral decision to attend college? Proposterous.

The other thing is, how many educated people have become JWs somewhere down the line, and their education aided this organization somehow? The Finance Department at Bethel isn't turning away checks written by JW Doctors, JW Lawyers, JW Engineers, etc.. How many of you reading this right now, know of people with degrees, and people financially well off, who get brown-nosed by people in the congregation? How many of these ones climb the JW ladder faster than the average dub, becoming Ministerial Servants, Elders, used on Assembly and Convention programs, despite having only been in The Troof for a year or so? Or putting in minimal field service time, yet somehow recieving privileges and rubbing shoulders with Dub Heavyweights? How many hypocritical Dubs do you know criticized higher education from the platform, while at the same time sending their kids to college?

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

The Cherie example did not sit well with me. I'll bet this experience happened more than 20 years ago. Has anyone talked to Cherie lately? She has probably since gone back to school as an adult like so many other witnesses...maybe even got her Masters degree. However, they won't share that part.

Passing on a scholarship to pioneer is so 80's.

• sherah
    sherah

Attended this week.

This is kind of off-topic...A pioneer's bible student commented on the "Cherie" paragraph, likening Cherie to Timothy tried to encourage his friend Jonathan to pioneer instead of going college. No one knew what she was talking about. Turns out the pioneer gave her the Timothy drama recording and she thought it was a real bible account. She doesn't see anything wrong with the GB's discouragement to nix college because she thinks it's a biblical admoniton....no words.

• sd-7
    sd-7

That's genuinely frightening, sherah.

Impressive comments, Blondie--I really need to start looking more closely. Amazing how little Jesus is actually mentioned. They even truncate John 17:3, which says "taking in knowledge of you, the only true God" and they forgot "AND of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ." It doesn't take much to see it--Jesus is mentioned 18 times in 1 Thessalonians and in the NWT, Jehovah is mentioned 3 times. Sad.

I always imagine myself to be pretty perceptive about these articles, but I'm clearly still a novice.

I saw an experience at an assembly last year, I think, about a young man who supposedly turned down a sports scholarship. It seemed suspicious to me, because, well, people don't offer you sports scholarships unless you're playing on a team. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but it's not likely that you were noticed while playing unofficially and offered a college scholarship.

Haven't we had enough of these cookie-cutter experiences crammed down our throats at every assembly and convention? It's like they cloned somebody.

I got baptized at 12 years old, and I knew the doctrine, but really just did it because I was scared of my mother and tired of being pressured about baptism (which probably started at the age of 10 or 11). The fear created about that is unreal. Baptism itself is hardly the measurement of salvation; if the same God who loved us enough to send Jesus to die for us would kill an 11-year-old for not getting baptized, well, he's obviously a seriously bi-polar god, now isn't he?

Next week is the real clincher, though. Wish I could deal with going, but then, what would be the point? No one's going to notice the change. See '1984' for that issue.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I saw an experience at an assembly last year, I think, about a young man who supposedly turned down a sports scholarship. It seemed suspicious to me, because, well, people don't offer you sports scholarships unless you're playing on a team. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but it's not likely that you were noticed while playing unofficially and offered a college scholarship.

You know, as long as I've been in this cancer of a religion, I've never looked at it this way. But its true, you don't get offered a scholarship for sports unless you're a standout athlete in high school!!!! Wow!!! Anybody who has any connection with JWs knows, organized sports are a major no-no!!

• blondie
    blondie

A pioneer's bible student commented on the "Cherie" paragraph, likening Cherie to Timothy tried to encourage his friend Jonathan to pioneer instead of going college. No one knew what she was talking about. Turns out the pioneer gave her the Timothy drama recording and she thought it was a real bible account.

jws, especially younger ones, know so little of the Bible (older ones do too)...when I was still "in" I pointed out that the people and events had been made up by the WTS and had never existed in the Bible....all except an ancient one like myself were stunned, they too though it was real.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

paragraph 13 went over like a lead balloon at the meeting I attended yesterday. Many of the elders and ms are college graduates. In particular, there is a MS there who JUST gradutated with honors after attending on a full scholarship. Everytime I look at him, I feel a sense of pride that he decided to take care of himself and not listen to those who would have told him to turn it down.

Only 1 person commented on the paragraph and it had to do with something that happened 20 years ago. No discussion, just moved on. My wife later said that "Cherie" was crazy to turn down the scholarship and that she knew I wanted our kids to go to college and said the elder conducting was definately going to send his teenaged kids to college! I pointed out that he may lose his eldership based on what I had been told about a CO visit a year or so ago. I still don't know if that's a hard and fast rule about reviewing privleges but I sense it depends on the body. Her response "no way, that doesn't make any sense". Exactly, unless you're in a controlling cult.

The point about "Cherie's" participation in sports was also not unnoticed. Since when is it OK for JW kids to participate in organized sports?? I thought only the "spiritually weak" did that? Does this mean it's now ok?

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

There was an elder's kid in my hall that played organized sports (on the school basketball team), and in the boy's senior year his father made him quit because he would be a bad example for the part at the assembly he had on not playing sports. The CO actually came down hard on the Dad for allowing his son to play sports at school...even "intermurals" or whatever at lunch time.

And the brothers in my hall and another one have also gotten into trouble for playing "drop-in" hockey with "worldly people" at the local rink. They were really upset because the "brothers" that get together to play hockey, play dirty and are really aggressive. They thought the worldy people played nicer!

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"COMMENTS

Young people = only jws = survive into God’s promised new world

All 7 billion nonjws, men, women, children and babies will be destroyed, killed for eternity, no hope of a resurrection."

The only people that have a certainty of destruction at Armageddon are apostates.

w6 98/15p.511Questions From Readers

What is the unforgivable sin?—E.M.,U.S.A.

The type of sin mentioned in the Bible as being unforgivable is not simply a category such as stealing, lying or sexual immorality. These things are serious, however, and may involve unforgivable sin. (Rev. 21:8) But the unforgivable sin is deliberate sin against the manifest operation of God’s spirit. It springs from a heart that is thoroughly and forever alienated from God.

They'll never repent. Who ever wrote this isn't even any good at twisting up information, it's just a dilapidated mess after all the unnecessary pointers are added in. You might as well invent a whole new language if the intent is to confuse children to the point of no return. How do the "Bible experts" interpret Hebrews 6:4-6?

For it is impossible as regards those who have once for all been enlightened, and who have tasted the heavenly free gift, and who have become partakers of holy spirit, and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things, but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame. Hebrews6:4-6

• blondie
    blondie

Is apostasy the unforgivable sin or the sin against the holy spirit? Can any human designate any individuals that have sinned against the holy spirit?

Let's see what the slave has to say.

*** g03 2/8 p. 13 Is There an Unforgivable Sin? ***Some people who were once faithful Christians have purposely drawn away from God, perhaps because of bitterness, pride, or greed, and are now apostate fighters against God’s spirit. They willfully oppose what the spirit is clearly accomplishing. Have these individuals committed the unforgivable sin? Jehovah is the final Judge.—Romans 14:12.

The slave has also made statements as to what people will survive Armageddon that are quite definite. And they don't have to be "apostates." This one in the 9/1/89 WT was very definite.

"Only Jehovah's Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the "great crowd," as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil." Watchtower 1989 Sep. 1 p.19

"Similarly, Jehovah is using only one organization today to accomplish his will. To receive everlasting life in the earthly Paradise we must identify that organization and serve God as part of it." Watchtower 1983 Feb. 15 p.12

"Is it presumptuous of Jehovah's Witnesses to point out that they alone have God's backing? Actually, no more so than when the Israelites in Egypt claimed to have God's backing in spite of the Egyptians' belief, or when the first-century Christians claimed to have God's backing to the exclusion of Jewish religionists." Watchtower 2001 June 1 p.16

"During the final period of the ?ancient world? that perished in the Flood, Noah was a faithful ?preacher of righteousness.? (2 Peter 2:5) In these last days of the present system of things, Jehovah?s people are making known God?s righteous standards and are declaring good news about the possibility of surviving into the new world. (2 Peter 3:9-13) Just as Noah and his God-fearing family were preserved in the ark, survival of individuals today depends on their faith and their loyal association with the earthly part of Jehovah?s universal organization." Watchtower2006 May 15 p.22 "Are You Prepared for Survival?" Paragraph 8

The Watchtower 1993 October 1 p.19 went as far as to state that there are billions in line for destruction.

"There are billions of people who do not know Jehovah. Many of them in ignorance practice things that God's Word shows to be wicked. If they persist in this course, they will be among those who perish during the great tribulation."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit