This Week's Article - Young People's Baptism

by jgnat 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

This is the first study article from the April 15, 2010 Watchtower, titled "Young People - Strengthen Your Desire to Serve Jehovah." I hit paragraph four and I just had to pause to comment. I am pretty darn sure this is a softening of the Jehovah's Witness stance regarding the appropriate age for baptism. Haven't past articles emphasized that the child must be of the "age of reason", say about twelve years old, (using the example of the Bar Mitzvah and Jesus' vist to the temple)? After all, the society would not want to imitate the example of the Catholics, who practice infant baptism. Here is what this paragraph says in part,

"How old do young ones need to be...? No age is specified in the Scriptures. Therefore, do not hold back, thinking that you are too young to listen to Jehovah and to serve him. No matter how old you are, you are encouraged to respond without delay."

I am struck with my observation at the last circuit assembly, where there were no candidates for baptism. In the years I've attended, the dozen or so candidates were mostly made up of the children of Witnesses. This year, none. If this is a national trend, it is encouraging. I wonder also if the advice of this board for many years to the young witnesses who wander on here, to delay baptism as long as possible (to avoid the spectre of disfellowshipping from their own family) may have played a part?

I'd appreciate confirmation from some of you veterans if this advice is a softening of the Witness stance for the appropriate age for baptism.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Interesting to see what the baptism number will be at assemblies this summer. Good to hear, jgnat, none were baptism at your last circuit assembly there. If anyone hears the amount getting baptized at their nearby convention or any convention, could you notify us and the amount total that were at the convention? Thanks.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They're getting desperate. I had never been to an assembly or convention with zero baptism candidates until 2009. The three I went to had something like 3, 9, and 0 respectively last year. I haven't been to any this year and don't plan to.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Hey, if they're that concerned about getting 'em dunked while young, then they should just give in to the infant baptism already.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I was 11 when I got baptized. That was in 1989. I really don't remember what the counsel was at that time.

Quick question: If a circuit assembly had nobody getting baptized, do they still have a baptism talk?

-mentallyfree31-

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Yeah they still give the talk. Just no questions about dedication to the Father, Son, and Borg.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Jesus may have went to the Temple when he was 12 but he was 30 when baptized. This is what I tell my Grandson who is 12 and I tell him to follow in Jesus's footsteps.

• ziddina
    ziddina

What Always Here - and others - have said...

If I were still a JW - and had kids - [oops... And were in the mindset that I'm currently in... Like that could happen!] - I'd hammer that "Jesus-was-30-when-he-was-baptised" into the kids' heads...

And would probably threaten to disown them if they got baptised any younger...

Zid

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wow, seven responses already! I'll have to remember to visit on Friday nights. I do wonder if the society is encouraging younger baptisms in order to try and plump the numbers.

• ziddina
    ziddina

"I do wonder if the society is encouraging younger baptisms in order to try and plump the numbers..."

I'd say, "Heck, YES!", except that the Gov.Bod of the WTBTS doesn't seem to have their act 'together', when it comes to keeping members in the cult...

Their "anti-marriage" stance seems to be counter-intuitive - and counter-effective - when it comes to "increasing" the numbers...

Who can fathom the minds of the Gov.Bod...???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit