I am thinking about converting the laundry room to something else.

by asilentone 33 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Another fridge/freezer could be put there (or downstairs) or a little alcove for computer/homework desk.

Storage for cleaning supplies and vacuum cleaner.

I still prefer a washer/dryer to be nearer the bedrooms.

-Aude.

• restrangled
    restrangled

OH my god, don't do it! Running laundry to a basement or Garage is a nightmare. Believe me. If you want a few horror stories, I'll be happy to post them for you. I would give anything to do laundry a few steps away.

What are you thinking!!!!! If you can take a few feet from the room for a renovation fine, but never, ever, move laundry from a main floor.

r.

• asilentone
    asilentone

what about putting the laundry room upstairs from the main level? It is not written in the stone. I changed my mind after changeling's comment, so I would not consider putting the laundry room downstairs.

• StAnn
    StAnn

1. You don't want to put the laundry room upstairs unless the house was built that way originally OR you have a topload washer because the construction of the floors between the two stories isn't really built for that weight and movement and the sound will drive you nuts. Particularly if you have a frontloader. This per Mike Holmes, one of my heroes.

2. If you want to move it to the basement, is the basement already plumbed for a washer and dryer? It would be expensive to add that now and I can't imagine the owners would want to spend money on that when there's already a perfectly good laundry room.

3. Not only do I have to lug groceries up and down the basement stairs every day because my kitchen is so small, I have to lug laundry up and down my basement stairs every day. I have a handicapped, incontinent child and do on average five loads of laundry a day. In the summer, I don't mind so much because it's so cool in the basement but in the winter I hate it because it's so dark and dreary. As Restrangled said, for resale, I think moving the laundry to the basement is a mistake.

4. If you do move it, perhaps you could build a study in that space, floor to ceiling bookshelves and a big easy chair, one of those free-standing gas fireplaces. A dream relaxation spot.

StAnn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit