I am thinking about converting the laundry room to something else.

by asilentone 33 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

...okie-dokie....

I will ask the obvious .....

What do the owners prefer?

If it is up to you ......what kind of things do you like? (hobbies, passions, fleeting interests)

Sounds to small for an excercise room but it depends on the equipment

• asilentone
    asilentone

I have not talked with the owners about this yet, of course, they will make the final decisions, I will just give them suggestions. They will come here in August. The basement is unfinished and they were talking about having the huge basement finished at some point. They have wine cellar in a very dusty basement, I would think they would like the wet bar idea, but I can not say that for sure.

I do not think excerise room is a good idea for the laundry room.

• yknot
    yknot

Okay I will get on board with the WB.....

However, having had a laundry on every level in previous houses.........

Basement laundry rooms suck the most, unless you have a laundry shoot and dumbwaiter..........

So are you planning on doing the renovations yourself or hiring contractors (if approved)?

• asilentone
    asilentone

We will be hiring contractors sometime this year. We do not have laundry shoot or dumbwaiter, but that is a good idea, not sure if it would work here. Thanks for your input.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Sight unseen, if it was me, I think I'd keep the washer and dryer where they are and do some renovating of the basement.

*MY* washer and dryer are upstairs (where the bedrooms are). It's so convenient to not have to haul loads of laundry up and down stairs. I can't imagine trying to keep clothes clean in a dank and dusty basement.

Have fun with the renovation.

-Aude.

• Scott77
    Scott77

AS1,

So many advises and muititude of selections. By the way, ask your self: Do I need it? What is missing in my apt setting? Do I need a freezer to keep food frozen? Do I need a personal office/work station? Is this a right time for it? Might I wait until I get a right time to work on stuff? What my friends, family, ets will think of me about this project in planning? Is it affordable? What are standard apartment spacing and their functions? like workstation, library, medicine cab, wet coat,etc. Is there some that is missing from my side? May i visit a friend's apt and see how the things are arranged? How about checking any relevant photos in internet that show some possible examples? OMG! the list is endless. Its all up to you to finally make a choice based on your lifestyle and needs. Good luck buddy.

Scott77

• asilentone
    asilentone

Scott77, it is not my home, but I am caretaker of a very large home here, The owners were talking about doing some renovations here and we would be having further discussions in August on what they want, etc....I just want to be prepared to give them some suggestions and then we will go from there.

AS1

• changeling
    changeling

This is a huge mistake from a real estate agent's point of view. Very bad for re-sale. People prefer to have their laundry room on a main floor and not have to go down to the basement with heavy baskets of laundry. Finishing the basement into usable space (office/media room/guest quarters...) will greatly improve re-sale value, but keep the laundry upstairs. :)

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

bar would be awesome!

then again I'm english and we have the washing machine in the kitchen, so wouldn't need a laundry room anyway... as noone has them!

• parakeet
    parakeet

Convert the laundry room to Mormonism. You'll have to use the local laundromat for the year or two it must go out to be a missionary, but that's a very small price to pay for the rewards of having a faithful LDS laundry room.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit