A Kind Word For Brits

by metatron 25 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Externally, we get a certain 'impression' of what living in England is like. Every third baby boy is named Mohammed. People who engage in self defense are imprisoned while criminals are given a 'firm talking to' and have their hands slapped. Most people are on the dole and live for 'their pint a day'. And so on.

But, year after year, I am impressed with British news reporting. When NO US NEWS SOURCE would discuss President Clinton having his pants down around his ankles, British newspapers did. Your newspapers openly report about UFO events and claims that US authorities are hiding knowledge of alien encounters. They also offer blunt, unbiased information about economic projections that our cheerleading reporters avoid.

And British actors. Evidently, we have NO competent American actors as the number of exported British actors fills our TV airwaves ( well, once they learn to 'talk American' like Hugh Laurie)

And yes, British TV - which gave us Monty Python - has now given us Mitchell and Webb. Brilliant!

Oh, and the page three girls are nice, too.

metatron

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

But, year after year, I am impressed with British news reporting. When NO US NEWS SOURCE would discuss President Clinton having his pants down around his ankles, British newspapers did.

I agree...

• zeroday*
    zeroday*
    But, year after year, I am impressed with British news reporting. When NO US NEWS SOURCE would discuss President Clinton having his pants down around his ankles, British newspapers did.

Sorry still trying to get this quote thing down...

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Since I'm from Boston I know the Brits gave us Tea.......... which we threw overboard.

But 200 years later your right... they gave us Monty Python... that changed everything.

• Megachusen
    Megachusen

I stopped reading when I came to the part about UFOs.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

You forgot umbrellas & top hats.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

And when someone treads on my toe on the underground I apologise to them. In fact we apologise far too much. Sorry if that isn't clear.

MMXIV

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

When I am not in the Roman reading the Gladiatorial Times I dwell in the UK.

USA newspapers are usually serious and attempt to be factual. Some UK newspapers are frivolous comics. Their aim is to titillate and entertain with half naked women, gossip, fabricated stories and tittle- tattle.

UK journalists for such newspapers have no interest in serious news, just a story that stimulates the readers emotion. The British public thrive on being outraged, scared, or exited.

The papers are also divided into political camps. They are fun but if I want serious news, I read the broadsheets or go on the web. After all newspaper always tell yesterday's news, the web is current.

• debator
    debator

BBC world news is accounted one of the most popular news channels world-wide.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

That seems a pretty sad image of our green and pleasant land...? It doesnt feel like that from the inside...?

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit