OMG! I am 50 this year! Why am I freaking out? Anger - how do you cope?

by hamsterbait 47 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Funny email Purps. I recently got a senior discount from a sweet young thing who looked about 20. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I'm only 44 but when I thought about it I figured she would have thought that was old too.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I turned 59 in April. As a friend of mine said a few years ago, I'm still on the right side of the grass.

Read a short story called "Cautionary Tales" by Larry Niven.

edited to add:

Here's a link to the story

http://books.google.com/books?id=QaHg2TIGulcC&pg=RA1-PA451&lpg=RA1-PA451&dq=Cautionary+Tales+by+Larry+Niven&source=bl&ots=ZmkIEuHuL3&sig=CHOvKvjDu0PL9zWjwNiD7M3Si18&hl=en&ei=aBMETLzeOYmmNsP5rDs&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CCsQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

I turned fifty last November! *&^%! Sheesh! I know how you feel. I keep asking myself why did I join that stupid religion!?... Anyway, you're not alone.

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Soon to be 54. Lived half my life in the LIE. I've been free for 20+ years now. Those people continue to haunt my dreams, but for the most part, I can laugh at them when I wake up

• Quandry
    Quandry

I am fifty in a few weeks.

I didn't see your thread, hamsterbait....have you reached the dreaded F word yet...fifty? If so, happy birthday!!!

I am 58. I try to stretch every morning after I wake up so stiff.

Was "in" for more than thirty years. Yep, I guess I'm trying to make up for all that lost time. I am taking a nice vacation with my family to San Francisco this summer, even though I really can't afford it. But what I can't afford even more is to sit and think about all the times I never went anywhere because I wouldn't be encouraging others by doing weekend service with the group. For years we had the book study/service group in our house, and of course they met there every Saturday.

I am also in college at 58, like Loz. Due to the years of believing "every utterance" of the WTBTS I feel worthless and stupid on a regular basis, but figure if I can just do something about stupid I'll have won half the battle.

Like another poster said...at least we're out now and whatever life we have left is our own!!!

• John Doe
    John Doe

You need some prune juice old man?

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Your only as old as you feel and obsess about. Attitudes have and are changing about senior citizens. I know all this stuff and I get it and at 63 I can only complain about two things.

1) I feel I wasted at least 30% of my life following MEN who think they have some kind of direct connection to God (Jehovah) the name is what gives them the connection. My son is still trapped in the bORG through marriage.

2) As I grow older in this race of life, I get closer to the finish line. And now I know I have to finish. No special dispensations from the Mighty God or Jehovah or anyone else. We're all going to cross the finish line. Wait did I say cross? I'm not sure about that but at that given moment when we hit the finish line everything changes or ceases.

It's not the years in your life, it's the life in your years

LD

• garyneal
    garyneal

I just turned 39 today and I still have 11 years before I hit the big 5-0.

My daughter turned 4 last month and I figured I could reuse her birthday candle next year for my 40th birthday cake.

My wife is a Jehovah's Witness so I did not get a birthday cake from her. My sister wanted to celebrate my birthday with her friends but my wife did not want me 'sitting with a bunch of girls.' My daughter wanted to go anyway, I stayed home to appease the wife. Stupid CULT!

One of my electronics teachers in college friended me on facebook. I wished him a happy birthday sometime back. He thanked me.

He recently thanked me again and commented on how the days go by so fast, I concurred and remarked at how old I am (almost 40).

He's 82, recently suffered a heart attack, is a HAM radio operator, and walks 2 miles a day. He called me a young person with a bright future ahead. He made my day.

I told him what an inspiration he is and remarked that I plan to make the most of the next 40 years of my life (or if the Lord willing, 40+).

You got good advice, take each day as it comes, don't stew over the past, the past is gone. The future is not guaranteed, we only have today. Make the most of it and be thankful for each day you have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit