Art Linkletter dies at 97

by straightshooter 13 Replies latest social current

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Sad to hear that Art Linkletter passed away. I remember his shows, they were very entertaining. I especially enjoyed the "Kids Say the Darndest Things."

• blondie
    blondie

I remember than is 20-year-old daughter Diane committed suicide in 1969 maybe while on LSD. I was only 17 myself that year and it made me think about my choices. I grew up on his shows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Linkletter

• dissed
    dissed

I was on the show as a kid, but have no recollection of it. My older family members said I auditioned off stage fine but completely froze up on camera.

I had my doubts about the experience (family pulling my leg) until at a recent funeral, an old neighbor was reminiscing about my freezing up on the show. "The kid who would never shut up did on TV."

• asilentone
    asilentone

dissed, one time I was on the Captain Kangaroo's TV show with some kids.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I had no idea he was still living. He was a good guy in my books.

One more of the "generation of 1914" gone - if you can count someone who was only one year old in 1914.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I remember when I was a little kid, my mother bought the book, "Kids Say the Darndest Things". It was a big deal to us because 95% of the books bought in our house were JW publications, and to have a worldly book with a slang word in the title was titillating to me.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I liked him.

From MSN:

Linkletter was born Arthur Gordon Kelly on July 17, 1912, in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. His unwed mother put him up for adoption when he was a baby; when he was about 7, he and his adoptive parents moved to the United States, eventually settling in San Diego.
    He recalled his preacher-father forced him to take odd jobs to help the family. So Linkletter left and became a hobo, hopping trains across the West, working where he could. He recalled later that he felt the religious faith instilled by his father had been a great gift.

Syl

• dissed
    dissed

silentone

I loved the Captain and Mr. Greenjeans of course..Sherry Lewis was fav with lamb chops

• Quandry
    Quandry

I am sorry to hear about it.

I remember the show very well. One little boy was asked, "What does your father do for work?" The boy replied, "He makes light bulbs and toilet paper." Art Linkletter asked, "How do you know?" The boy replied, "'Cause that's what he brings home in his lunch box."

• Dagney
    Dagney

Awww. RIP Mr. Linkletter. I grew up on his shows also...great fun. I remember when the daughter died as well, tragic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit