how many of you in the USA have visited England

by RosePetal 29 Replies latest jw friends

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

If any body from USA have visited England I would like to know if you liked your stay. What was your experience? Did you visit while still a DUB did you visit any congregations and make any life long friends?

I would love to visit America one day.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Never have, but I'd sure love to. Most of my ancestors are from England. Also I've a big fan of the author Catherine Cookson and would like to see the area of northern England that was the focus of her books.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I love England and all of the UK. I found the English to be warm and friendly--much more so than the Scottish and Welsh.

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

Hi Bonnie clide I love Catherine Cookson too. My father was born in the north of England Sunderland Co.Durham, all his brothers worked in the coal mines my grandparents didn't want my father to work down the mines so they sent him to London when he was just l4 yrs old. He worked as a bell boy and eventually became a valet at the Dorchester Hotel valeting the wealthy rich and famous. My mother was a waitress there she was evacuated from Gibralter during the war. That's how they met. I was born in London.

• on the rocks
    on the rocks

I hate England and the English people...they are selfish and racist.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I'd like to go to England when I retire in 4 years.

England is where most of the people from the US came from back in the day before everything went south.

Except the Indians didnt come from England they came from Cleveland.

England rocks. A lot of great Rock bands the Beatles the Stones, the Kinks, Free, the Who on and on.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Rose Petal - My great great grandfather worked in the coal mines of England, and that's what drove him to take his family to Canada for a better life--it didn't get better very quickly as the family almost died in a shipwreck. I guess the conditions in the coal mines were just terrible in the 19th century. Don't know what part of England it was, but maybe the north.

How big of a Cookson fan are you? I've read over 30 of her books. I need to know how to send pm's

• yknot
    yknot

I visited, but with worldly family.

It was great, plan to go back in a few years.

I always run into dubs within a few hours of arriving (figured it was Jah's blessings)

I have friends from here who have moved there... (It is assumed they are being good dubs but knowing them the way I do.....I doubt they attend except the Memorial)

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

Bonnie Clyde I have read most of her books over the years she had a hard life herself, thats why her books are so down to earth she drew from her own experiences. Did you read her autobiography? if not I recommend it. [a great read] as for sending messages I am just learning how to send E.Mails I have learnt how to PM when you have figured out the PMs let me know and i will send you my E.Mail address.

Love RosePetal

• undercover
    undercover

{raises hand} I have.

I spent some time in Scotland and England. Spent a week in London on another trip.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

This was after leaving the JWs so no dub activity...this was strictly vacation and I enjoyed as much of the country as I could, including the historic churches.

London is a world city, like New York. So many cultures, races, etc. that you don't really feel like you're in a foreign country, except for the architecture and landmarks (and traffic on the opposite side - driving in London was fun and harrowing all at the same time). But outside the city you quickly get a feel for the English way of life...I loved the small villages and towns to get a feel for how most people lived.

I did notice that the English, in general, were more reserved than the Scots but still most pleasant and glad to see their American cousins over for a visit. I recommend the trip to everyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit