how many of you in the USA have visited England

by RosePetal 29 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I hate England and the English people...they are selfish and racist.

Recursion.

BTS

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I've been to England quite a few times. My favorite time was staying a week in the middle of a Staffordshire pasture in the Midlands in a 16th-century gatehouse. It was serene and I enjoyed watching the cattle munch their way past the building every day. My second favorite time was the year after that when I stayed a week in the former kitchen of King George II when he was Prince of Wales (at Hampton Court). We got to wander the grounds at night and we even had the local ghost warder show us around. :)

I've been to London several times; my worst experience in England was one night there when I was groped twice at Leicester Square (hate that place).

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I'd love to, are you offering? LOL Actually, I'd love to see Ireland. All my life people have asked me if I were from Ireland, because apparently, something about my red hair freckles and vague resemblence to Maureen O"Hara makes people think I'm from there before I open my mouth and Fargo, North Dakota sounds come out.

I have that accent, you betcha. I've lived in Wyoming for most of my adult life, and we have that accent as a bleed over from the NoDak...with a tiny bit of Western twang thrown in.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Loved England and Wales. From London to the tourists at Stonehenge I found people polite even when busy, kind to me as a visitor, and had laughs with other tourists from Europe to Australia.

Swansea was lovely, walked all over the city; Blackpool was a trip and a half; Barking was cool and fun and everyday...

London's parks and surrounding countryside were romantic even when filled with people - and beautiful when empty.

The range of architecture was breathtaking - and the view from the Millenium Eye had me entranced. Like Eddie Izzard says, it's where the history comes from. Bath - from the Roman baths to the riverside park, on up the wooded hillside - memorable.

Walking around London at night, hopping on the tube, finding amazing Indian food in out-of-the-way places...

I would go back any time.

Besides, it's the birthplace of Doctor Who.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I was there twice many years ago.

I liked it and I visited all the historic sites: the British Museum, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Winchester Cathedral and various churches, Stonehenge and a few castles. The English countryside is beautiful and those cottages with thatched roofs are beautiful. I was also impressed with London's subway system.

• four candles
    four candles

Rose Petal. My Great Graddad was from Stanley,he too worked down the pits,for 50+ years. he died in 1974 aged 95. I remember him well.

I've been to America 3 times.Loved it each time but never stayed with bruvs.

• dissed
    dissed

Been many times, but with the JW's and always we visited the KH's, even sharing in service. Had very dear friends in the Red Hill area, but have lost contact since leaving the WTS.

Even saw the queen and her sister one time. Stepping outside a pub across from Whitehall, someone said "look!" as a Rolls slowly drove by, she waving to us and my little daughter.

Our next visit, will be next summer for 16 days. 3 in London, 6 in Scottland, 7 in Ireland. This time, no JW stuff.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Rose Petal, you have a pm. I think you can view it by clicking on the icon of a letter at the top right.

• LostnFound
    LostnFound

I am from Canada... but I wanted to say that I have been to London! I love that city, and feel like it changed my life. I don't know what exactly happened, but when my husband and I left I just felt different inside. Everyone we met was very nice, there was lots to do and see, and I enjoyed eating fries everyday. We had a great walk in Hyde Park, we saw two great plays, seeing the memorial 'fountain' for Princess Diana was so special.. I would love to go back one day.

• blondie
    blondie

My nanny was from Windsor (when we lived in Germany). We went one year to visit her family. We had a good time. I remember taking the ferry from Calais to Dover, quite a storm. We visited Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, and various beautiful places in the country side. It was Christmas time but damp and cold. We're planning on going to Europe, including the UK, next year or the one after that depending on our financial situation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit