Just had a yelling match with my JW mom....help

by diana netherton 28 Replies latest jw friends

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Welcome to Crazy Fanatical JW Mothers 101, I'm your professor for this course, Mindmelda.

My mother is the champion crazy cakes guilt inducing, arm twisting, psycho nutbar mother of all times. I only once got into a shouting match with her over "faith" and found she was willing to say any mean, evil, twisted and just plain hateful thing to me to WIN the argument.

She lost me but hey, if you're willing to do that to your own child to be right, you're a mind controlled nutbar and frankly, she ruined our relationship, probably permanently.

Mothers can be wrong too, you don't get a "I'm always right" card when you give birth. I'm a mother of two almost grown and one grown person, and I learned something important from my mother...always admit when you're wrong, if you're not too mindcontrolled and insane from being fed WTS BS for 40 years to do that. Your kids will respect you even more for not being full of CRAP and trying to convince them you're not.

But, the day you realize that your parents are mere mortals, can be totally wrong and even gravely or obscenely wrong, stupid and ridiculous is the day you have to grow up whether you like it or not.

Welcome to the adult world, honey. (((hugs)))

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Yep!!

They really think they need to save you!! Even when you explain you don't need their kind of saving they never stop!

I have gotten into some really heavy conversations with my mother, who was my best friend before I beacame inactive. Each time we end the conversation saying we no longer will disguess JW stuff, only for her to turn around and start in again!!

Sadly our relationship has been forever changed. I really miss her as my friend and mother... she is now this woman on a mission to change my mind .

I really feel for you and hope things get better soon... You are not alone.

((Hugs))

• Scott77
    Scott77

Diane,

Sorry for what you are going through. I noticed that you have not been posting lately. I encourage you to post as much as you can here on JWN. Its a form of therapy as many will give you helpful feedbacks. You are a very beautful and smart woman. Some former JW ladies have resolved their family problem by relocating to far places like from NY to California. You need think of moving far, far a way to start a new life. Please, be assured, we love you alot an wants you to enjoy the life of your choice free from JW corrupt influence.

• moshe
    moshe

JW's only tolerate ex-JW's. if you are willing to be their doormat. Just let them know that you have an opinion and disagree with the WT dogma and then they really get p#ssed off. You see, they have a little shunning game and you have to play by the rules so the JWs can feel powerful and righteous. Tell them to take a hike and stay away until they can respect you.

• sd-7
    sd-7

It is so tempting to lash out when your family responds according to Watchtower format. But you have to know that it is a completely alien culture once you wake up. It's hard to even think like that anymore. That's what makes it so frustrating. But it is usually better not to blast 'em when they come at you about religious issues--and they will. Better to just walk away, or at least not respond in kind. They need to see that you are not merely the stereotype, the 'angry apostate'. Show sincerity and compassion, show them they're wrong, that they're the persecutors, not you.

But I also know what it is to feel suicidal, as evidenced by my own posts.... But speaking as someone who clawed his way to freedom from the WT's grasp, being free of it is worth living for. Your whole world, your whole life, is in front of you now, and that without fear or guilt. All of that is an illusion, and nobody can make you believe the words of a bunch of charlatans.

I like to think of it as fighting Mount Olympus. It's an unbelievable battle to hang on in the face of battling the gods in your life. Family can hit you hardest. For me, it only showed me how right the so-called opposers really were about this religion. It showed me that you can be just as good or better than these people without so much as a word of retort.

You're definitely not alone here--there are plenty who will offer a listening ear.

-sd-7

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Thanks, everyone.

Took a mental health day and went to see my counselor. To make matters a little more complicated,

I've recenty been diagnosed with bipolar and am adjusting to the meds. I was being treated for

depression and anxiety for years to no avail.

As for my mother, you are all right. I have been living the don't ask don't tell policy for years. I think

my mother is freaking out because deep down she knows she's wrong. She blamed me for

tearing the family apart, when really, it's the religion that has been doing it for years.

I am taking it as it comes...still have a job and I made the dean's list again at university. My son

is the best kid and my dog loves me even when I yell at her. :)

• not a captive
    not a captive

Good for you, girl. Thanks for the update.

• Scott77
    Scott77

diana netherton ,

You have a PM

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

If your mom is anything like mine, my whole LIFE with her has been the same way. She has always found fault with me and my life and my decisions and my everything...real or imagined. If something is wrong then Wuz had something to do with it. I spent my whole life with either a literal or figurative slap mark across my face from her. Im 55 years old and she is STILL hurling epithets and defamatory accusations at me.

Shes wacked and you cant reason with her. Being a JW makes that exponentially more fruitless. Its not you. Dont punish yourself for being unable to move the unmovable object honey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit