The Reason Why the Society Changed the Meaning of "Generation"...again

by Olin Moyles Ghost 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWoods
    JWoods

Probably so, bob1999 - but it reveals that they really don't know what they are doing.

Actually, if you think about it, the 2010 "overlapping generations" really makes the least sense out of any of their stories.

But they are probably stuck with it for the time being, as they have been changing this just a little too often for comfort.

• undercover
    undercover
    To this day, I'm not sure why the 2008 generation change had this effect--I recall seeing lots of discussion on JWD around that time, and for the life of me, I never understood how the 2008 new light made one iota of difference in the date for The End.

Maybe because they had also dropped the 1935 date. Heaven was no longer sealed and annointed numbers were actually going up.

So - Heaven is opened back up + the anointed are increasing + the generation of 1914 had died off + new generation means any annointed alive during the end = the end can be quite aways off.

It was an accidental subliminal message that was sent. Now they're having to backtrack a bit to try to re-establish the fear. And as metatron pointed out in his thread, the GB is egotistical enough to try to do this without ever admitting mistakes or error.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

snowbird: from the start, I never believed the WT's interpretation of "this generation."

Reflecting back, I realize that I never really fully accepted the teaching, I guess thats why some will and have said "it makes more sense now", I especially heard that at the 2008 change, I don't even remember the 1995 change, I thought it was more like the 2008 teaching. There are others too that I would just brush off as hard to accept but just figured, oh well, not a game changer. Especially in the Revelation Climax book, I just remember some lessons feeling so uncomfortable about how hard they tried to make something apply that just seemed too out there ... I wondered why don't they just not try to come up with something and let it alone ... yet I stuck through studying it in the congregation, not once but TWICE!

Why? Why do we go along with something that we don't fully believe in the first place?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Why? Why do we go along with something that we don't fully believe in the first place?

Too heavily invested?

Fear of rocking the boat?

Feeling that we're too inadequate, our thoughts don't matter?

Syl

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The "Generation Change",Propped up 1914.......It was starting to Sag and Fall Over..

http://www.dafyddjones.com/ssp/albums/album-3/lg/Sagging-Roof-Bodie.jpg

The WBT$ had to Change the Meaning of "Generation" to do that..

Now a Generation is 200 Plus years..

Screw the Dictionarys definition of Generation!..

Jehovah`s Witness`s now have "Light at the End of the Tunnel.."

It`s only another 100 Plus years away..

Crazy 1

.............................. ...OUTLAW

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The 1995 change is what told me I was going to retire and die "in this system of things." It made me start to plan for that.
    I imagine it did the same for others. 2008's new light may have nudged a few more people to say the same thing.

But I imagine that everything was planned as one big gradual change- the 2008 new light started the members thinking that the generation was "the anointed" without all that goofy "overlap" stuff to swallow yet. By 2010, the leaders hoped the followers were ready for the crap. They even planned along the way to make them ready- telling them strange stuff would come out of Bethel because the leaders know Armageddon was so close, the 2009 convention theme to hype them up, the magazine with the 2010 new light accompanied by a convention talk and the C.O.'s proclaiming the importance of that new light. Telling them not to share recordings of the talks was part of it also. They don't want outsiders to have printed information on how silly this is. The goofiest stuff will be delivered verbally- like how Joseph and his brothers were all one generation (they were) so that exemplifies how Fred Franz and some of the current young anointed are one generation (they are not).

They want urgency among the members. That's all it's about.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    They don't want outsiders to have printed information on how silly this is. The goofiest stuff will be delivered verbally-

This is very much like the 1975 stuff - very little printed information, but much talk from the assembly platforms.

Telling them not to share recordings of the talks was part of it also.

This they also learned from 1975 - those tape recordings of "stay alive till 75" were pretty embarrassing in 1978 when they were telling the ranks that they had all just made up 1975 all by themselves.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The WTS. is in the business to orchestrate stories that people want to hear, thats essentially their responsibility.

The GB of the WTS. hold the seats of the bullshit spinning department of the entire publishing organization.

They're job has always been to heighten the publics interest toward the Society's literature, in whatever way they can.

Chief Executive Editors of the WTS. if you will.

• besty
    besty
    But why wouldn't the change in 1995 have the same effect?

The Internet.

Exactly how could you get hold of dissenting points of view before? Go to the library? Closet conversations in hushed tones with fellow true believers in your own congregation?

Have you read Carl Olof Jonnson's correspondence with the WTS? It took him over 3 years to get his answer. (Which in the end was STFU and get busy preaching). 3 years? 3 years? Get real. 3 minutes is the benchmark for an answer these days. Oh yes and did I mention? I want that answer on my cell phone no matter where I am on the planet or what the time of day is. And then I want to discuss the implications with like-minded people I have never met before, real time.

Thousands of disobedient JW's are on here and freeminds and jwfacts EVERY DAY.

Now the WTS has to hold back the tide of information - clue for Bethel snooper: IT CANT BE DONE. Every doctrinal iteration you come up with will be dissected and ridiculed before the rank and file even know it exists.

You lost. Move on.

• Hiding Questioner
    Hiding Questioner

"Reflecting back, I realize that I never really fully accepted the teaching"

Actually for me, reflecting back, I did believe originally the (pre-1995) "generation" concept because I erroneously thought, how could anyone be so bold (and cruel) as to make such a firm fixed end date that would eventually not come about. Thus, for me, it had to be The Truth.

I based so many of my life's decisions on this teaching and now I feel so foolish and conned

HQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit