Are they deliberately trying to get rid of the "Old TImers"? (re "generation")

by hamsterbait 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• agonus
    agonus

If the majority of dubs have just become apathetic socialites, well, you can truly kiss growth in developed nations goodbye (which is pretty much the case right now)... and you can forget about any sincere attempts at apologeticism from the R&F.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Maybe the whole thing is the result of a "bet" between old guys on the Governing Body.
    Something like the movie "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd.

One GB member bets he can get some ridiculous doctrine past the members without destroying all their credibility and some of the others say, "No way, it can't be done." So they find out. Loser pays a dollar.

Just as with "Trading Places," the people betting have to give it their all to make this work out despite whichever side they are on.

• cult classic
    cult classic

They have the old timers right where they want them anyway. Most don't want to make drastic changes in their life. Old timers who wake up and value their life usually get a clue, cut their losses and make a move right out the door. (run on sentence there....lol)

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

And who are "gasping" at the CO talks? Older ones. Those who remember the history!

The doctrinal changes occur so infrequently, that new adherents don't know of the past changes

as they get pushed out to the podiums and pages of WT literature.

In fact they are respectively appreciated as NEW LIGHT by most JWS.

Open wide and receive this spiritual food provided by the Faithful Discrete Slave.

How many JWS sitting in a Kingdom Halls right now know about 1925 or 1975 ?

I'd say only about half.

The WTS. supports itself by propagating bullshit to cull believers who eventually get exploited as volunteers

and money donators, thats their game and you can expect they will continue so in this fashion.

No I don't think they are trying to get rid of old timers, they have no reason to since any objectionable actions by a

follower, young or old, will produce a DF placed on that person for Apostasy, placing a muzzle on them.

There are alot of retired JWS who pioneer, so they do carry a valuable asset for the organization.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

A born-in who is in his 40s or older is an "old timer" in this religion. We've seen 1975, the Bethel purge, the international year of peace, at least three "generation" versions, Y2K, and more cult mind control than any human should ever have to experience.

It isn't age they're trying to get rid of, it is a certain personality type. They ONLY want sheeple in the Borg. You MUST go along with the party line or else they want you OUT.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've lost any expection that the average JW is going to go find something else. I agree about the pesonality type, and the ones they have left are the ones that will do as they are told. The oldtimers have too much invested in this thing, they don't want to change, and they don't want to lose out if something does happen now. So they sit and nod and go about their lives.

/on/

Besides they know all about 1925 and 1975. The society never said anything about that, it was just some overzealous people getting all excited.

/sarcasm off/

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Good one JeffT

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I don’t think they are intentionally getting rid of the old-timers, but it certainly has been the effect.

When I was a kid, the only ones who left were young kids who had turned 18 and didn’t have to attend meetings anymore. These days, those leaving are of all ages. People who are wising up to the cult and walking out the door forever.

• designs
    designs

Broken, blondie-

I think you are observing two of several social phenoms, people shocked into a wakeup moment and change and others who are just burned out by the endless Last Days rant.

• Heaven
    Heaven

My Dad, who is in his 80s and starting to suffer from age related issues, has said a couple of things to me recently that I thought were interesting and possibly an indication he is starting to see the man behind the curtain.

First statements was "I have no idead what they are talking about at the meetings."

Second statement "I don't know why I go to the meetings."

I think my Dad has come to understand and accept that he can no longer do the 'witnessing' work. This has deep implications. I believe he is very depressed and I would like him to seek some help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit