Comment on Loneliness

by jgnat 33 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

Been meaning to comment on this one. I never felt like I fit in with anyone--either inside or outside the religion. Felt afraid to trust people, and of course, always ended up trusting the wrong ones. Being married, as difficult as it is being with someone who sold me out to the elders at her first opportunity, has at least eased the loneliness. In the general way. It's only lonely in that deeper way, that sense that no one really "gets" me. And that...no matter what I do, I will never have the deep bond with the woman I waited 5 years to get back that I wanted.

Still haven't branched out much, but have at least made some friends on this site--though I don't think most of them have time for someone like me anyway. Some days I wonder how I would have turned out if I just hadn't married my wife and had been single. It seems scary. Deep down, I'm still lonely; my wife just keeps me busy and tired enough that I don't notice much anymore. She's kind of my...cult substitute in that way.

But then, I better be quiet, lest I invite trouble.

-sd-7

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

As I have gotten older and able to be more content within myself, I don't experiance feelings of loneliness as I did when I was younger.

At times, I have felt my deepest loneliness when I was unable to share something wonderful going on, a moment in time, when I wanted to give, and share when there was no one to give to. Those around me might not understand or for some reason I just did not feel safe sharing.

Shortly after my divorce I was DF. Although many emotions were going on, feelings of loneliness were at times excruciating. The feelings that come from being cut off from everyone was one thing, but to be cut off from GOD was a cruelty no one should have to endure.

In my journey through life I have grown and my outlook is quite different.

Staying busy helps not feeling lonely, but there are times when running away from loneliness catches up and this is a sign one can use to figure out solutions to fill that void. It can be a great chance for growth. I think one can make conscious decisions to feel lonely rather than deal with the vulnerability to share whatever they want to. When it becomes overwhelming and you cannot function in your daily activities an assessment needs to be made, be truthful with yourself and realize I must reach out and do something about this. It is something I cannot endure.

purps

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Cognizant Dissident - I would agree that loneliness is a state of mind as far as it is a choice. The author I quoted holds special meaning for me because he founded a society to integrate the mentally handicapped. The rejection that this group feels is intense and real. His homes, L'Arche, invite able minded people to live and eat in the homes with these most special people in our society.

Jgnat: What a wonderful thing that author has done. I very much admire a person who sees such a problem and does something proactive and practical to address it.

I do agree with you that the physically and mentally handicapped are often marginalized and isolated in our society and they suffer an especially difficult time with loneliness because of it. This is not a state of mind for them but a daily reality and they also do not have the resources do something about the problem but often have to depend on the good graces of others.

The times that I am most likely to feel loneliness, even now, are when my chronic illness flares up and I'm unable to do some things for myself and MUST rely on others. It is an incredibly vulnerable feeling and does trigger some sort of primal survival need in the human brain to seek the safety and solace of "the herd". I understand why many fear old age and disability more than they fear death.

I would like to share a story that your quote above reminded me of. My mother cooks for seniors in an assisted living building. They have their own apartments but can pay to have their meals made and dine in the communal dining room if they wish. Sometimes, if I have an extra couple of hours, I go up to help my mother in the kitchen and eat with the seniors in the dining room. They seem to enjoy the new face at the table for company.

There is one lady there who had a severe stroke and can only stay in her apartment due to having her son live with her. Her face is contorted from the stroke and she often gags and chokes when she eats. It is not the prettiest sight, but the other diners just accept it and go about their business. One new lady joined the dining community and started a protest to have the lady with the stroke not be allowed in the dining room. It upset her to have to look at this reality of life and aging and illness.

Well, she lost her petition, but I was struck by how afraid we are, as a society, to look at the less than picture perfect reality of illness, aging and death. It can trigger our own deepest fears about the future. Like it or not, though, every last one of us will have to look those things squarely in the face at some point in our lives.

I'm not sure what the point of my story is. Perhaps I'm just putting in a little plug for taking that extra few moments out of our day to notice who may be feeling a little lonely or isolated and taking the time to say a kind word, or ask how they are, and actually listen to the answer. It doesn't have to take a lot of time but it can make the world of difference to someone to know they matter and their life is of value also.

Cog

• Will Power
    Will Power

(Jnat) - so nice to hear from you. Hope you are well. I am very well thank you. We will have to catch up soon.

I love Jean Vanier's discussions. There was a series on TV a few years ago where he took a chapter of the bible and talked about it. He certainly added a persective that is so simple and sensible.

His book "being human" certainly reminds one of our responsiblities to fellow human beings. This link has a few interviews with him.

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/2009/wisdom-of-tenderness/

wp

• truthlover
    truthlover

even tho I attend meetings, I am down on FS and have been for a few years -- and do not feel part of the cong even tho I do have friends I can count on one hand that make sure they check on me and we do meals and shopping together.. others in the cong seem to be a clique and I dont go for that kind of thinking, so when I am home, with my cats and yardwork and scanning JWN and the I net, I feel ok - not lonely in the sense I am guilty of anything, just an introvert like some on this board -- and why not! There have been hurts and disloyalties over the years and I think it is a protection of the mind and spirit of a person.. I also can be an extrovert to the point that people do not think I am a shy type, but I am, and always have been, so "lonliness" for me is comfortable -- no real family to speak of - so me wonders what will happen in years to come - the nursing home with strangers -- I hope I go quick -

TL

There are worse things than being "lonely" - find joy in your world, volunteer, speak to the elderly you see sitting on the benches, smile and it will help you - you will feel you have done good things

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, Will Power! High five!

Cog, I'm glad you shared your story. I'm glad everyone shared their story. Writing on subjects close to home have their own beauty, even if it is painful. About your story about the woman eating with everyone after her stroke, bravo to her community that they continued to include her. This is part of Jean Vanier's lesson, I think. I am convinced that prejudice is based in fear. Fear of those symbols of how far we could fall, save our good luck, good job, social standing and good health. To look deeply in the eyes of the aged and the disabled, to embrace them as part of our common humanity, takes an uncommonly sharp repudiation of our deepest fears.

To reject the unlovely, the downtrodden, the poor as less than ourselves, less than human, subtracts from our own humanity.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking for a future read and perhaps comments...

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I believe that loneliness, when we embrace it, brings the gift of a sense of self.

Shunning doesn't seem to be about loneliness to me, although I can appreciate that can be one of the emotions it evokes. (I can be surrounded by people and feel lonely.) Shunning seems to me to be about SHAME. It's a political thing, a war thing, an emotionally manipulative thing, a control measure. Employed by very fearful, angry, and sometimes arrogant, and often ignorant people.

As far as I can currently see, every group does it to someone for whatever reasons they find hip or trendy at the time. Even we as individuals "draw lines" and "set boundaries", do we not? So I guess I view being shunned by the JWs as THEIR weakness, not mine, and as a measure that protects me from THEIR abuses, not them from mine, since I was not abusive to them, I was honest with them, and since I felt mainly relief upon the demise of my relationship with them. Kind of backfired in my case, I guess.

That said, I find the level of shunning to the degree that the JWs do it to be quite "up there", abusively/manipulatively speaking. It angers me that they have no qualms justifying their interference with not only my life, but my family's life. It angers me that they PRESUME to speak for GAWD!? I'm also angry that some in my family rationalize hiding behind laws, rather than having a heart. Their modes of so-called "spiritual warfare" do seem bloodthirsty and primitive, at best, to me. I mean, I've been out for nearly ten years. A life sentence is mine all because some elder had a fit of self-righteous anger in the face of my honesty. It seems a pretty steep sentence. I do not think they comprehend the meaning of the word spirit. It's a crying shame. And yes, it's abusive.

Personally, if I were a Guy on the Fly in the Sky, busily salivating for millennia at the thought of wreaking vengeance on a Day of Judgment, I'd be a mite pissed that these jokers are prematurely usurping my position. And I'd certainly off them first, for their presumptuousness in thinking that they speak for me. Then again, maybe not. Sadistic as I would have to be to let things carry on as they do and allowing people as much pain and misery as they suffer, perhaps I would just be pleased. Nah, I think I'd prefer my lab rats to be in good health when I began. What fun is it to kill a person who's half-dead already?

Anyway, to me, alone is a circumstantial state of being. Not an emotion. The emotion of Loneliness, which brings the gift of a sense of self, can occur at any time or place, regardless of outside influences. The loneliest I ever felt, in my 20s, was when I was married and surrounded by a congregation of JWs that I believed in. But I didn't know myself that well back then. Not as a human sharing my nature with an entire species, or as an individual. I am lonely whenever I find myself surrounded by "right" fighters.

I rarely feel lonely when I'm alone. But I do feel pain when I am shamed. The pain doesn't always have the desired result of those attempting to manipulate me in that inhumane way. It is pain nevertheless. And they do succeed in their sadistic methods, in causing me pain, and losing my respect as managers of anything related to human nature.

But I enjoyed the quote about connection to community, etc, and the acknowledgement that our relationship with our emotions such as loneliness and desire (for connection for instance) can be impacted by such significant life transitions as an exit from JWism by way of shunning. I would add that shunning is a pretty severe response I myself have employed when I've reached my wits end, with someone like a stalker for instance. (Quite effectively too.) Do I expect stalkers to come running back and say, oh, by the way, your shunning taught me a lesson? No. So I'm not really clear on why the JWs expect their shunning to inflict the severest pain they can, to have such a response. It must work some of the time. But on me it just helped me see that they don't give a rat's ass about me and that I'm better off alone than with them. I can't imagine shunning my own child. Anyone that does it, is either a sociopath or an emotional masochist.

Group dynamics. Can't live with them, can't live without 'em. Same with intimacy. Same with intimacy.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

"To reject the unlovely, the downtrodden, the poor as less than ourselves, less than human, subtracts from our own humanity."

Amen to that. And to your comments about prejudice being based in fear. I would agree. Every time I've ever behaved in a prejudiced fashion, I was afraid of something. (Also wounded/ignorant). It's so sad that emotional intelligence is so often lacking. It seems to indicate a certain woundedness that makes my soul ache because I've been there myself. It's frightening how just about every conflict ever in the history of humanity comes down to this. I wonder to what extent the mastery of emotional intelligence and the effective teaching of it, can truly effect peaceful resolutions.

• choosing life
    choosing life

When we only surround ourselves with the shiny and attractive things/people in life, we are running from the ugly uncertainties of life. I have worked among the disabled, aged and mentally handicapped all my life. They have taught me a lot.

We will all face the "ugly" things in this life, whether it is by choice or when they are thrust upon us.

Loneliness is one thing we can all help remedy with a kind word, a smile or time spent with another who needs human contact.

Fear of rejection is what makes me feel totally alone. Overcoming those emotions can be way too difficult at times. The insanity of dealing with the idea of shunning my teenage son was what started my awakening from an abusive religion.

Thanks for suggesting this author, jgnat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit