bulletin board? Information board??

by isaacaustin 17 Replies latest jw friends

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Why is the bulletin board at the hall called an information board, but never a bulletin board?

• JWoods
    JWoods

This has been around for years. It was explained to me, way back in the mid-1960s, the name "bulletin" had bad connotations - for instance, the Navy used it. It was then shortened in sailor talk that the bulletins were "bull". From there, it would be an easy leap to "bullshit".

I am not kidding - I was told this by the local presiding overseer.

• blondie
    blondie

Papal Bull

Papal bulls are documents popes publicly issue as declarations to all Christendom. The phrase derives from the seals popes historically have used to authenticate the documents.

bul·le·tin [ b?ll?tin, b?ll?t'n ] ( plural bul·le·tins )
    noun
    Definition:
    1. news broadcast: a short broadcast containing a single item of news
    2. announcement: an official announcement
    3. newsletter: a newsletter issued by an organization or institution
    [Mid-18th century. < Italian bulletino "small papal bull" < bulla< Latin (see bull 2 ) ]
  • undercover
    undercover

So they're afraid to use the word "bulletin" because it has ties back to the pope and catholicism?

Wow...

I never knew the reason, I only knew that we weren't supposed to ever call it a bulletin board. Any servants who had parts on the meeting were reminded to call it the "notice board" or "information board" but never "bulletin board". We were never given a reason and being the brain dead dubs that we were, we never really questioned it.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I remember an elder fiercly correcting me when I once called it a bulletin board instead of information board. Crazy.

• blondie
    blondie

drwtsn32, a perfect example of straining out the gnat but gulping down the camel................

• snowbird
    snowbird

Majoring in minor.

Syl

• JWoods
    JWoods

It would be UNLUCKY to call it a BULLETIN BOARD?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeppers

• JWoods
    JWoods

Seriously, is this just an unpublished universal JW custom, or is it actually stated in print somewhere to not use "bulletin board"?

I have known about it from the very first as being a witness, but have never seen anything in print...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit