bulletin board? Information board??

by isaacaustin 17 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I'll check at home and see, but it has been a policy for the last 45 years in all 20 congregations I have attended in the US and Europe. The KM was once known as the Bulletin so obviously it has not always been avoided.

http://oroborus21.com/jwnet/theocratese/=I.html#information_board

information board
    A bulletin board. Most Kingdom Halls have some kind of bulletin board on which to hang schedules, letters from the {Society}, and other authorized printed matter. Although the common term for these is ``bulletin board'', the Society consistently uses the term ``information board''. Four people have written to inform me that this is because the origin of the word bulletin is connected with papal bulls, i.e., edicts from the pope. Various popes have certainly posted a lot of bull, so this assertion is believable. <<The Society says that we should not place personal announcements, messages, or thank-you cards on the information board.>> In United Kingdom, this board is called the ``notice board''.
  • JWoods
    JWoods
    I'll check at home and see, but it has been a policy for the last 45 years in all 20 congregations I have attended in the US and Europe. The KM was once known as the Bulletin so obviously it has not always been avoided.

Yes, in my case I first heard it in about 1965...I would also be interested in knowing if that papal Bull term is actually the official Watchtower reason.

We hardly go a day without some truly ludicrous Watchtowerism comes up on this board - this may not be as totally weird as that "How to dress when visiting Bethel" booklet - but it really is pretty weird, if you think about it.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I also recall being told that churches give out bulletins at their services on Sundays so, in order not to be confused with the churches, the KH would not use the term bulletin. Now, in my KH, we used the phrase bulletin board until the late 1970's when a CO/DO, not sure which, "corrected" us. It was always strange calling it the information board and never rolled off the tongue naturally the way bulletin board did.

StAnn

• undercover
    undercover

Okay...I just had a weird epiphany (on more than one level, apparently)...

I was reading the thread about Jesus using the Divine name and someone (Sacolton, I think) wondered why the WT went with a 14th century Catholic monk's (mis)translation for the Divine name...which got me to thinking about this thread...

The WT is willing to stand by the use of the word "Jehovah", a Catholic invention, as God's name, yet are superstitious about the use of the word "bulletin"...also attributed to the Catholics...

• blondie
    blondie
    New International Version(©1984)
    You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

New Living Translation(©2007)
    Blind guides! You strain your water so you won't accidentally swallow a gnat, but you swallow a camel!

English Standard Version(©2001)
    You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!

• JWoods
    JWoods

Okay...I just had a weird epiphany (on more than one level, apparently)... I was reading the thread about Jesus using the Divine name and someone (Sacolton, I think) wondered why the WT went with a 14th century Catholic monk's (mis)translation for the Divine name...which got me to thinking about this thread... The WT is willing to stand by the use of the word "Jehovah", a Catholic invention, as God's name, yet are superstitious about the use of the word "bulletin"...also attributed to the Catholics... ___________ What is even more weird, Undercover, - I just had the same thought after reading that Divind Name thread...

• JWoods
    JWoods

And, what is more - the Watchtower has admitted in the past that "Jehovah" is a bogus pronunciation...and admitted the source...

• JWoods
    JWoods

Back to the top - did anybody find a written reference in the WT literature on "bulletin board" and why they won't call it that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit