Witness movie "Heritage"

by exwhyzee 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I guess I'd seen many of these things in my growing up and could relate to the pressures of a wounded family. No drinking but plenty of fighting and rebellion. It was the mid 1960's in California, it was happening and tumultuous. As a boy I could relate to the movie because I could see how it would help us achieve peace. Of course my folks didn't become witnesses and we kept on keepin on. Not till later and only my mom and we kids. Now, two faders and one DF'd.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Wow... talk about a blast from the past !

Although there are truths in the message presented, as is often the case, it is presented in a deliberately one sided format. There is typically a foregone conclusion ( the world is bad, especially young people in this case) and then they set out to find evidence using extreme examples to prove that the conclusion is so. Rarely is contrary evidence presented unless it can be easily refuted. It's like going to a Ford dealership and being presented with photos of Chevrolet's that have been in accidents or poorly maintained, without being able to look at the statistics for Fords in a comparable way before making a purchase. I often unquestioningly believed whatever came from Brooklyn and often formed my beliefs without really looking at things from another angle. Those who were raised to believe that this kind of information coming from individuals who are being directed by God and are ablolutely correct about everything are especially vulnerable to this method of instruction.

Is it possible to put the rest of the movie on YouTube?

• creativespirit
    creativespirit

I knew many of the people who appeared in that feature: the Zullos, Barbara Nelson, Judy Lysen (subsequently Fiore).

• Will Power
    Will Power

wow, this has a groovy retro look. I like it.

The message is very one sided, but one could also turn the whole thing around & see that one side as someone trapped inside - on the other side!

Someone who is forced to conform, lose his individuality and if you show any independant thinking you're cast out. Alone. Even your parents disown you.

"I'd almost be glad if he beat me, at least he'd be showing me some attention" - good lord there's a subtle subliminal seed.

Can you imagine being a kid and wanting to discuss plans for university, or the pursuit of a talent?

"No wonder daddy left you, you old drunk" - thats the way to treat the depressed, distressed, family member

"Can you imagine living with cognative dissonance - on edge all the time, or depressed looking for escape

AND how many times have they used the word "Generation" ?? - definitely the "old light" definition.

wp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit