Witness movie "Heritage"

by exwhyzee 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

I remember it very well; it was directed by Timothy Galfas, filmed in Bergen County, NJ, mostly in and around Hackensack, with a lot of my school friends in it. I would love to see it, as I'm sure from this vantage point it would look mostly comically dated..... "Happy Days" WT style!

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Yep, one of the Portland, OR stations showed it as part of the old public service requirements. I remember we were so excited to see it on television (as if TV lends credibility)!

Well, what did I know? I was a little kid.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Hey Wasanelder-berry...any luck (I mean fortune) with the Heritage download?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Here is the link for the first 8 minutes of Heritage. The rest will come in 8 to 10 minute sections. I will take it down if I am told to do so by Youtube. Even if not told to I will only keep it up a little while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzfU_vCwqSo

I will do a thread on it as well.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I was active during those years (1954 -1966) and never once saw any of those movies. Never saw PhotoDrama (CT Russell's slide show) either, even though several copies of the black and white version were still around at that time.

It would be fun to see these old movies because I might be able to relate to the time period. It seems as if they might have been filmed on the east coast of the USA and I live in Southern California at that time - but there should still be some similarities.

Thanks for posting them, Wasanelder. Hopefully the WT won't shut you down before we all get a good look at some of them.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

"Happy Days" WT style!

{shudder} ;-)

• Backspacer
    Backspacer

Interesting. I wonder where they filmed those kids in the car? Was it a hidden camera out back of the kingdom hall? Nah couldn't be. We all know JW kids are good kids, never drinking, shoplifting, talking back to their parents, smoking pot.... but I digress.

What was up with all the butt swinging and hip shaking in the beginning? Bet some brothers really enjoyed that part! And the "acting" was pretty horrid too. Propaganda. shudder....

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

1966. I would have been about 9 years old. I think I do remember this being shown at our Kingdom Hall in conjunction with a Circuit Servant's visit.

I don't think I really "got" it. I was too young to really understand it. At that time we were a fully indoctrinated, perfect JW family. Those kind of problems seemed very foreign to me and to be honest my parents were clueless. They lived in JW fantasyland.

• Backspacer
    Backspacer

Thinking about it some more since I was not a born-in, I was about 10 when this was being shown. My family was not dysfunctional. We ate dinner together every night. My parents never fought in front of us kids. Mom drank but only a little and Dad never did. Someone was always home when we got home from schoo,l and my parents were pretty supportive and attentive even if they never really understood me. We were raised in a non-religious home but we all turned out fine. It wasn't until I was older that I went searching for answers and found the JW's. Kinda got roped into following it but there's a long story behind that that I won't go into. My generation? Yeah, a little screwed up but whose isn't? And by "generation" I mean the baby boomers. It's not an overlapping generation with my kids. In all, I find this little snippet a little offensive. If I had only known....

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

The movie makes it sound like every teenager out in the world is a screwed up, depressed juvenile delinquent. I never saw that in real life. As I got older than 9 most of the screwed up kids I knew were at the Kingdom Hall. So maybe this movie did plant a seed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit