Witness movie "Heritage"

by exwhyzee 23 Replies latest jw friends

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Does anyone remember seeing the Witness movie called "Heritage" ? It was made in the early 60's and they used to show it once a year at the KH when I was a kid. (with guilty minds, we were secretly glad to see the projector set up in the middle section of the hall because it meant we didn't have to sit through another long boring talk.

Even as a little kid I could see the one sided propaganda basicaly showing how empty "worldly" peoples lives were compared to ours and if you were a Witness your family life would be idyllic like on "Leave it to Beaver". It would be interesting to get a copy of this because it was a shinng example of the one sided information that is/was often presented to the congregation about all non-witnesses. Nobody I know has ever heard of this movie or had it shown at their hall. I wonder if the Society recalled it because it was such an obvious embarrasment?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I remember the movie. I remember one of the young people featured in the movie had the last name of Zullo and was from Connecticut. She was at Bethel in the mid 70s and had married then.

I'd be interested in seeing it again too.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Nobody I know has ever heard of this movie or had it shown at their hall.

Your right about that ...never seen, or heard of this movie. Perhaps it had a "very limited" disterbution? Sort of a test run perhaps?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

When I saw it was about 1966. I believe it was shown as part of the Circuit Servant's (as he was called then) visit. I think it was only shown for about a year or so.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Official Society-made films mentioned in the literature:

1954: "New World Society in Action"

1956: "Happiness of the New World Society"

1964: "Proclaiming 'Everlasting Good News' Around the World"

1966: "God Cannot Lie"

1966: "Heritage"

It's mentioned in the Proclaimers book, p. 481.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I have it. I put it on VHS years ago and then onto DVD. Maybe I should post it onto youtube in 10 minute parts? Don't want copyright problems to cause my channel to be shut down.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Wow that was a fast response ! I was beginning to think I was imagining the whole thing as no one else seemd to know what I was talking about. It would be great if you could put it on Youtube. I'm not trying to make anyone look bad or have an axe to grind but it was part of what influenced me growing up and it would be interesting to see it through an adult's eyes.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

It was shown released to some TV stations to be shown to fill their FCC requirement of public information. We saw it in the SF Bay Area on channel 2. I remember being 9 years old and running home to see it. There was a lot of buzz about it being on tv. I'm impressed with some of the script. They make a great many good points. It's low on doctrine and full of practical information on taking care of your kids. It's really sappy though. I'll see what I can do.

• jeovagood
    jeovagood

It was on TV too,and my dad had the mounted ski rack rooftop sign advertising on top of our our 62 ford fairlane

• wobble
    wobble

I believe I have seen ALL these movies, here in the U.K the early ones were screened at circuit assemblies as they came out, at least in my circuit they were, I think the later ones were shown at the K.H

The only thing I remember about the early ones, is our C.O at the time, in one of them had his mike on and added inane comments, at one point he mentioned "sheep" and my ten year old friend made a loud "Baaaaa" which caused laughter and the C.O could only come back with a weak reply, we wet ourselves laughing !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit