Why FAITH is actually a form of suicide

by Terry 99 Replies latest jw friends

• agonus
    agonus

Nah nah nah, LeavingWT, you're talking about fundamental evangelicalism, a grade-school form of theology. True theology ain't gonna be found on cable.

• agonus
    agonus

"Theology is a completely and utterly useless pursuit. It is self-indulgence of the first order. It grieves me that public money is spent on theological colleges while real education struggles to gain the funds it needs to maintain itself."

Well, shit, then let's get rid of Art, Music, and Philosophy degrees, because only Hard Science is a worthwhile human pursuit, right?

This sounds like a Richard Dawkins intellectual circle-jerk of the highest order to me. No offense.

• agonus
    agonus

How the hell is a trillion-dollar LHC gonna feed billions of starving African children?

Science has its limits. We create computers because we ARE NOT computers.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Terry...

you said: "An argument without content is a sort of vacuum. It is easy to spot. Somebody disagrees with somebody else and then pastes a pejorative label on what they say rather than refuting them with a better argument."

a government for the people by the people, an honest wage for an honest days work, marriage boundries, a place of refuge...

these are all "content" they weren't formed in a vacuum...they were drawn from christian ethics.

as society moves away from the foundation of Jesus Christ and these christian ethics we seem to be sucked into a vacuum without "content".

love michelle

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, there are scientists who have posited that the universe is holographic... nothing more than an illusion.

Who are these scientists? Do they live in India maybe?

Reality is what exists even when you aren't there. If you turn off the light in your room it doesn't go away.

That table. We all see it, touch and smell the furniture polish on it. We can hear the legs of the table scraping the floor when we push it. A beaver could taste it.

Reality is non-negotiable. People who want to dominate your thinkng must first disable your trust in reality as an actually existing thing and secondly cause you to doubt the efficacy of your own mind.

Been there; done that. No thanks.

Here is some fine reading that will enable you to deny reality all you want! Say goodbye to your rational mind.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Reality is what exist even when you aren't there. If you turn off the light in your room it doesn't go away.

And there you have it, folks. Terry KNOWS exactly what REALITY is and isn't. All the new physics and cutting edge scientific hypotheses and findings are just paths to more woo-woo I guess.

• agonus
    agonus

"Reality is what exists even when you aren't there."

Funny, PKD said the same thing... maybe you should look into what his "reality" was... WOO-WOO!!!

Seriously, though... Hypothetical situation: Aliens arrive on earth. They are essentially identical to us with one important difference: They have evolved shpoinkfactory bulbs, which enables them to experience the sense of shpoink. This "sixth sense" cannot be put into terms using analogies dealing with our five senses, simply because you can't shpoink a flower or a painting because you don't have the biological hardware. Now, these aliens inform us that they can help advance our evolution with technology which will enable us to grow our own shpoinkfactory bulbs and thus finally shpoink for ourselves. They tell us that this new sense will add a new dimension to our existence and greatly enrich our lives. Do you tell them to shpoink off and go shpoink themselves because according to all current known laws of physics, this is simply unshpoinkable?

• agonus
    agonus

I mean, dogs are colorblind... but they don't KNOW they're colorblind... right?

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Seriously, though... Hypothetical situation: Aliens arrive on earth. They are essentially identical to us with one important difference: They have evolved shpoinkfactory bulbs, which enables them to experience the sense of shpoink. This "sixth sense" cannot be put into terms using analogies dealing with our five senses, simply because you can't shpoink a flower or a painting because you don't have the biological hardware. Now, these aliens inform us that they can help advance our evolution with technology which will enable us to grow our own shpoinkfactory bulbs and thus finally shpoink for ourselves. They tell us that this new sense will add a new dimension to our existence and greatly enrich our lives. Do you tell them to shpoink off and go shpoink themselves because according to all current known laws of physics, this is simply unshpoinkable?
    agonus....I think I like the way you think. Here's one of my old ones: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/154203/1/I-Pondered-Gods-Existence-Today-and

Your alien analogy reminded me of it.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

If science disappeared from human memory, we would soon be living in caves again. If theology disappeared from human memory, no one would notice.

That's funny, because historically, you can demonstrate that modern science emerged from certain theological ideas. For example, that God the Law Maker is orderly and rational and that the Universe reflects this. Also, that since humans are in the image of God, they can understand the Universe that God made and discover the laws written in it.

I mean, dogs are colorblind... but they don't KNOW they're colorblind... right?

Fantastic. As humans, we can guess that we may have limitations, and be open minded enough to accept the possibility. Dogs of course, don't do this. One of my childhood dogs by the way, was called Terry. He died when I was a teenager, he tried to eat a poisonous toad.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit