The Bible, Why not Reliable?

by sayitsnotso 93 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sayitsnotso
    sayitsnotso

Okay here is my thread to discuss this. I believe the bible is inspired by God and reliable. Many argue it's neither. Why? The following make sense to prove it's inspired and reliable. How can these things be refuted?:

1. 40 men wrote it over a span of 1600 years or so. But all 66 books are harmonious and contain a consistent theme. How could this be possible by humans alone?
    2. It accurately fortold events. (i.e. naming who and how Babylon woud fall).
    3. The notion that if everyone followed the morals of the bible the world would be a better place.
    4. Scientific accuracy in a time when people did not know about these things (progressive order of earth's preparation for human habitation, saying the earth was round and hung on nothing, water moves in a cycle, universe is governed by laws, what it touches on regarding heath and sanitation is accurate (quarantine, waste disposal, not having a calm mentality bad for the health)
    5. Honesty of it's writters
  • Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

*Facepalm*

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

sayitsnotso, I am in agreement with you.

• sayitsnotso
    sayitsnotso

isaacaustin, can you then reply to my thread about Armageddon then? I'm not here to want to be a troll for people. These are legitmiate concerns of mine.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

1. All i can say to this is that you need to do more research on the history of the bible, you don't strike me as having done much. And really, how can you call it harmonious? It is full of contradictions & multiple themes.

2. Most of the prophecies were either self-fulfilling or were written about after the event (such as in the case of Babylon) & many of them probably never came true anyway (Jesus anyone?).

3. Which morals? Taking a child outside to be stoned for being disrespectful? Not planning ahead but merely focusing on the here & now? Not wearing mixed fabric clothes? Be specific. Many of the better morals in the bible (such as the golden rule) pre-date the bible by hundreds to thousands of years.

4. I'm beginning to think that this thread is satire. Is it? If it is then you should have made that more clear. And really, go & get a decent science book, read it from start to finish, then re-read the biblical sections relating to science & then get back to me. Much of the bible is scientifically inaccurate (bats are fowl?, birds appeared at the same time as fish?, the earth was created before the sun?, the earth hangs on nothing AND has pillars, corners & the heavens have windows?) & as for the parts that are accurate, most of those things were already known by the ancient egyptians 2000 years before the earliest parts of the bible were written. People were not as ignorant back in those days as you might think.

5. How do you know they were being honest? Since much of what they wrote isn't consistent with history, it seems that calling them honest is an odd thing to do, they were either dishonest or misinformed. And if you're referring to people like Moses being honest about his own failures... hmm, check out the REAL history of the Torah, it wasn't written by Moses. In fact, Moses may not have even existed.

• sir82
    sir82

I'd suggest reading a book on Bible history (i.e. how the Bible came to be) by someone not associated with the WTS.

A good one to start with is "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman. It's been out a few years, you should be able to find it in a library if you don't care to buy it.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

40 men wrote it over a span of 1600 years or so. But all 66 books are harmonious and contain a consistent theme. How could this be possible by humans alone?

Prove it. What is the theme?

It accurately fortold events. (i.e. naming who and how Babylon woud fall).

Prove it was written before babylon fell.

The notion that if everyone followed the morals of the bible the world would be a better place.

I know I would love to commit genocide but save the virgins for myself, or have sex with my slaves or some temple concubines.

Scientific accuracy in a time when people did not know about these things (progressive order of earth's preparation for human habitation, saying the earth was round and hung on nothing, water moves in a cycle, universe is governed by laws, what it touches on regarding heath and sanitation is accurate (quarantine, waste disposal, not having a calm mentality bad for the health)

Prove the earth was "prepared". How did light come about before the sun was created? Prove that no one else knew about these things and that in that way the bible is unique.

Honesty of it's writters

How can you prove they were honest?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Isaac, get your ass down to the next thread like a good little boy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If you are truly interested in real research into the subject of the bible, you need to read BOTH sides of the equation.

You need to read what the skeptics and critics say, Like Bart mentioned above AND you need to read the replies and answeres to their critiques.

You then need to make the call for YOURSELF and only BY YOURSELF.

The critics are bias, just as the "apologists" are, that is just human nature.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

sayitsnotso -- Do you have access to YouTube? (I don't want to post any videos, unless you are able to view them.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit